Home | Reviews | Crankset | FSA

• Integrated MegaExo Quad BB
  • AL7050 cold forged crankarms
  • Patented chromoly pedal inserts
  • Polycarbonate bash ring
  • Heat treated chromoly inner chainring
  • AL7050 middle chainring
  • Chromoly chainring bolts
    Sizes
  • Length – L165mm, L170mm, L175mm
  • BCD – 104/64mm
  • Chainline – 50mm (BB-68mm) – 57.5mm(BB-83mm)
    Finish
  • Hi-polished Black Anodized
  • Bashring – clear or black

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by PiroChu

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2012

Strengths:    value (price, durability), FSA customer support

Bottom Line:
    I've been using the '06 model that I purchased at a year-end/close-out deal back in late '07, and all pieces are still going strong after 4.5yrs and 2300miles of freeriding. No prob with BB. Crank arm never slipped off on me even once (despite some others' comments). Just crashed hard, and finally bent left-side crank arm (my fault, not product's), but quickly got a replacement arm directly from FSA (great support). Will buy another again.

Submitted by Mark Denn a Cross Country Rider from Vacaville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, durable.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket wears out very fast

Bottom Line:
    These are ok if you are trying to get a cheap set up to get you by, but they bottom bracket doesn't last very long. They seem to be pretty durable other than that.

Purchased At:   Ray's Cycle

Bike Setup:   XTR Derailleurs, shimano pedals on a Blur 4x.

Submitted by The Grand Wazoo a Weekend Warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Strengths:    Great chain rings

Weaknesses:    crank arms. Customer Service at FSA

Bottom Line:
    Bend drive side crank arm on the third ride. It had less then 80 miles on it. I Just rolled over a 6" rock and it kicked out from under me and I was at a weird angle on my bike and I felt something funny, just a strange motion. Then I noticed my drive side crank arm was hitting my rear triangle. As heavy and thick as these cranks were designed I should not have had this problem. I had just replaced a XC race face crank set this these and thought it would help with more stiffness. Wrong! These cranks are straight up junk! Here's the kicker, when I called FSA because they are suppose to have a 2 year warrantee a customer service rep told me that there was nothing they could do. He told me "crank arms will bend or break and it's not a manufacturer flaw." He also went on to tell me, "XC cranks are lighter and have some flexibility to prevent bending." What a pile of crap! Then why do they have an all mountain and downhill line? Bottom line is they do not stand behind their product, and it cannot hold up to their competition. BUY SOMETHING ELSE!

Favorite Trail:   The Disney Downhill

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Race Face All Mountain, Race Face Deux

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 Chris King every where 2.5 all round. Juicy 7's

Submitted by VTSession a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    work okay as a tough crankset.....for awhile

Weaknesses:    -left crank warm won't stay on.
    -pinch bolts strip easily
    -outer crank bolt strips easily.
    -heavy

Bottom Line:
    For my first season on my Vagrant these worked well with my e13 DSR. Overtime, the left crank would develop play every so often, I would re-tighten it and keep riding. I then started applying blue Loctite and that worked for a while. Then the pinch bolts stripped as did the 4 mm allen key outer crank bolt. I bought new bolts, applied them with Loctite and now its at the point not where the left arm comes loose every hour of riding. It sucks. I'm fairly sure the interface between the arm and the bottom bracket has been permanently warped.

Not a good product. A FR/DH crankset should be able to handle XC riding for more than a season. Looks like I'm going to go to a (much) lighter, stronger Shimano XT

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, Race Face, Shiman cranks

Bike Setup:   07 Transition Vagrant - Domina 318, Thomson bits, SRAM X9, etc.

Submitted by Jason Lee a Weekend Warrior from jwillaford@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2008

Strengths:    They work. Zero maintenance. Strong.

Weaknesses:    A little flex.

Bottom Line:
    These came on my Iron Horse and I have had no problems at all. I backed all the bolts off when new. Greased the threads and re torqued everything to specs. I just check torque and ride. I've ridden everything at Colonnade and dropped them 8' to flat. No problems.

Favorite Trail:   I-5 Colonnade

Purchased At:   Came on bike.

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Fire X. Shimano XT.

Bike Setup:   2 Wheels, bars and a seat.

Submitted by don dauphinee a Downhiller from jamestown, RI

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Strengths:    comes in 165mm...good clearance

Weaknesses:    Weak weak weak, one crash and i bent the drive side arm into itelf, my foot caught a root and set me over. rest of the bike was fine but the crank bent like plastic

Bottom Line:
    do not buy if you weight near 170lbs or planning to race or do runs at mountains, spend more time replacing crank than on the mountain

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   raceface evolve dh xtype

Bike Setup:   ironhorse yakuza type r, stock with avid juicy 7 and raceface crank

Submitted by army of the forest a Downhiller from bend oregon

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    Neat see-thru bash guard

Weaknesses:    non-drive side crank arm is a terrible design

Bottom Line:
    The Gaps came with my order from Transition on the 06 Preston. These have been used as new as the early 07 bottle rockets and coverts. The tightening nut on the non drive side arm is ridiculously terrible. It has stripped out on three of the T's in the shop in the last 8 months. My Race Face's are threaded into the chain rings / bash guard. The non drive side crank arm is one piece with the thru axle thru the bb, so much more trouble free so far. I rode Fall City, Blackrock, for the first ride and the crank arm literally fell off pedaling up for the first run, phew. My bosses later fell off the day before going to whistler on his Bottle rocket, damn......

Favorite Trail:   The treasure trail

Purchased At:   Gear Peddler

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Evolve DH Cranks

Bike Setup:   06 Transition Preston Fox Van 36, RF Evolve's, lowly Hayes 9's , Swinger 4-way, yada da yada dah

Submitted by hogan koesis from austin, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    none, flexy as hell.

Weaknesses:    Twisted cranks 3 days after purchase. Bent drive side down and actually twisted the non-drive side.

Bottom Line:
    This particular product sucks. If you weigh anything over 140lb. do not buy these cranks. After I built up my brand new bike thinking that I had purchased a reasonably competitvely priced crank set, I was soon let down and shortly riding the trail of dissapointment after bending the cranks jumping down an all-mountain section of trail. Bottom line-stay away-

Favorite Trail:   Angelfire DH

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Diabalous, Evolve, Atlas, Saint, Truvativ Husselfelt, LX, XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad

Submitted by Edgar a Racer from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    Strong and Burly, looks uber nice, stronger than the XTR

Weaknesses:    bit heavier than the XTR

Bottom Line:
    Best crankset so far tested and used.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler & Syncline