Home | Reviews | Crankset | FSA

FSA Carbon Pro Crankset

3.94/5 (34 Reviews)
Weight : 556 grams MSRP : $47.99

Patented Carbon composite crank arms One-piece crankarm/spider Precision CNC machined 7075/T6 chainrings, ramped and pinned for perfect shifting.

Submitted by mischel a Cross Country Rider from country/srb

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    no

Weaknesses:    no

Bottom Line:
,,,

Favorite Trail:   fsa carb pro

Similar Products Used:   ,,,

Bike Setup:   sram og-1090, 10s, chain sram red,fsa carb pro,rival/sgs-max 32t(rear).sram double tap-10s flat bar road ,sram double tap-3s flat bar road,sram x.o triple(front)frame carbon tubes ,carbon fork (1"),28"rear wheel hub carb-campa\ carb-hyperon ultra rim,26"front wheel hub ambrosio\al-bianchi rim ~full 7,5kg

Submitted by Michael Lopez a Racer from Phoenix AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    light weight, looks good, petals great.

Weaknesses:    flexes, kinda scary at times.

Bottom Line:
for the weight, and looks for the price, you can't really beat them. However. Only get them if your a weight weeney. and don't get the octolink bb version! get the ISIS bb versiion. The crank does flex a little, and that bothers me, but I've crashed and burned, mashed, and kept on going,
without any problem! watch your chain rings though, they aren't very durable.

Favorite Trail:   any one I can find.

Similar Products Used:   shimano XT M752, race face evolve XC/DH,

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher Big Sur carbon frame., full FSA carbon componentry, Full XTR drive Train.

Submitted by Jeffrey Puzas a Cross Country Rider from Bowie

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Light, looks phenomenal, well constructed, durable

Weaknesses:    Granny gear could be more durable, but then again that means increased weight and reduced weight is the design goal of this crankset

Bottom Line:
I am 6'4" and 220lbs in full gear and ride XC very aggressively. Once in while a 3 ft drop off and very fast downhill over rocky terrain. I have been riding these cranks for two years and they have performed very well. The only durability issues came when traversing a huge fallend log lengthwise and the rear end slipped off and I hit on the large chain ring. The 4 arm spider bent. I bent it back easily with a dead blow hammer carefully applied. This abuse is beyond what this crank is designed to take and it came through O.K. It takes the occasional rock strike to the pedals and large chain ring impacts over large logs well (without bending). I would highly recommend the product to anyone who is looking for lightweight components on a cross country bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco, Maryland

Purchased At:   SpeedGoat

Similar Products Used:   Stock cranksets on Cannondale products

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 800, Carbon Lefty, Mavic X317 w/Hope Ti XC Hub, Hope Mini's, Fox Vanilla Air Shock, XTR F/R derailure, RF ISIS BB, total weight 26.9lbs

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Reliable, Inexpensive versus '03 XTR and Race Face

Weaknesses:    Rings not as nice as Shimano or as durable.

Bottom Line:
I made a hard choice not to go XTR even though the shifting seemed to be better and the new set up is supposed to be stiffer. I went with these due to the lightweight, cost, and looks versus Race Face or XTR. They're still the stiffest crank I have owned with RF Ti ISIS BB. The carbon wears much better then the paint on the new XTR cranks. Still looking good after year of riding. I sometimes think about if I should have bought the XTR cranks and do like Shimano's design but this set up has been excellent.

Similar Products Used:   02 XTR, XT, TRUVATIV Stylo

Bike Setup:   Fuel 100

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Chula Vista CA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Looks...and weight!

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
I love'em so far I ride about 80 miles a week and I have had no porblem with them. I have noticed that I have more power to the crank now. They seem lighter to spin and I dont feel I have spent all that time pedaling to not even go very far. These cranks do look brittle but I know people that ride them twice as hard as me and they swear by them. As far as the customer service issue that everyone has, we'll have to wait and see. All and all a great product,Oh yeah and the Chicks seem to dig the looks to. Im giving them a value rating of 5 because I got them off of a bike I purchased complete from a friend.

Favorite Trail:   Snake,Proctor Valley,Tiki Hut

Purchased At:   From a friend

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Fuel 80, Marzocchi Bomber Z3,KORE stem,above reviewed crank set,XTR wheel set,All XTR components,Hayes Hyd. Disc brakes,Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 2.1's,assorted LizardSkins.

Submitted by C-man a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Strengths:    Light! Like the feel of the carbon fiber.

Weaknesses:    Not compatible with its own Isis BB. FSA Customer service. Real bad attitudes.

Bottom Line:
The FSA Carbon Pro Crankset and FSA Ulitmax TI bottom bracket ISIS did not fit. Quality control issue. Warranty covered the issue, however dealing with 2 different people "Tom" and "Mike" over the last year was enough for me not to ever buy a FSA product again. They were unprofessional, rude, just real jerks about the problem. They played dumb to the whole issue, which several bike shops were well aware of the quality control problem.

Like the product once I got it working, would never give business to FSA again based on the attitude received from 2 different people.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, Shimano.

Submitted by shadow a Cross Country Rider from Silver Spring, MD

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Finish gets scratched up
ISIS interface poorly machined
One key release bolts strip out
Chain suck is 10x worse than Shimano rings (BTW these rings are identical to Race Face rings)
Cost

Bottom Line:
Poor quality control. I had to install and unintsall the drive side arm multiple times to get the ISIS interface to wear in so it would seat properly. The one key release bolt stripped out the threads on the crank. Luckily enough threads remained to use a Park crank puller. At least the company warrantied it. They also chastised me for using the one key release bolts in the 1st place. I countered by asking why they supply them with the crank if they weren't meant to be used. I've had no such problems with Truvativ's products.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano splined, Truvativ Stylo, Race Face Turbine LP ISIS

Submitted by Stephan a Cross Country Rider from Martinez, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Customer Service, overall good performance

Weaknesses:    Aluminum pedal spindle insert came loose

Bottom Line:
What's all this fuss about FSA's customer service??? Sure it sucks when something fails, but it's awesome when manufacturers step up to the plate & take care of their customers! These cranks had 2 years or so of hard use, the insert started to come loose; I called FSA, they said no problem--send 'em in. I did & in two days I had a new set on my doorstep! I'll continue to use their products & recommend them to my friends.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast & rowdy

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade, Psylo SL w/U-Turn (Tullio), Fox Float R, Hadley hubs, Chris King HS, Magura Clara

Submitted by Jake Pantone a Racer from Huntsville, Ut

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    Very Stiff and light. These cranks also look pimp. Durable

Bottom Line:
These are the sweetest cranks that I have ever owned. They are easily as stiff as my XTR cranks were and they look better than my XTR ones did after an equal amount of hits on rocks, etc... The chainrings shift excellent dare I say better than the shimano XTR ones did. Oh, did I mention that they are extremely light.

Favorite Trail:   Ben Lomond

Similar Products Used:   XTR Cranks

Bike Setup:   Full XTR Fuel 100

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Very stiff, light weight

Weaknesses:    finish doesn't hold up well, but that's not reall the point.

Bottom Line:
This is a very durable and dependable product. I would agree the the shifting is not quite up to par with XT, but very close. I've ridden this crank for two summers in the knarlest stuff the Northwest has to offer, and a week in Moab. This is the stiffest XC crank made. Its smashed into countless rocks without a problem. I would also say that the FSA chain rings are more durable than XT. If you are looking for a crank that is both light and strong, this is it.

Purchased At:   Downhill Zone Seattle

Similar Products Used:   White Bros, XT, Race Face Turbine

Bike Setup:   Titus Quasi Moto

Submitted by Mike Pajarillo a Racer from Hope Valley, RI United States of America

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, absolutely increases pedal effeciency

Weaknesses:    Arguably...price BUT it delivers performance like you will not believe until you ride it. Its about the same price as an XTR crank

Bottom Line:
These ARE the greatest cranks ever made!
From the first pedal stroke, "This is what my bike was missing." The power transfer is incredible especially at the end of a long ride or race, when every ounce of your depleting energy is needed to go forward. These cranks helps you maximize all of your energy.
They felt stiffer than Shimano's XTR octalink which is a really stiff crank set, you will notice the difference between the two.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Had a minor issue with the Ultimax Ti BB, there was slight play at the cranks with the BB BUT the FSA staff took care of it. No problem.
This is truly a great product! Now if they could just make it lighter...

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia Yellow Trail, MT Snow XC race course

Purchased At:   Victory Cycles Richmond, RI

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Turbine, Shimano XTR, CODA Magic Cranks

Bike Setup:   Merlin Fat Ti XL--Sram 9.0 SL shifters, Sram XO derailleur, Shimano XTR 11-30 8 speed cassette, Sram PC-59 (?) 8 Speed, FSA Ultimax Pro Ti BB ISIS, EASTON CT2 H-bar and Seat post, Selle Italia SLR, Complete PAULS Components brakes, Titec Carbon bar ends, Shimano front derailleur, Chris King Hubs on Bontrager Valiant Rims, Hutchinson Mosquitos with Stans No-Tubes = the 19.8 lbs hardtail

Submitted by marco righetti a Cross Country Rider from scotland UK

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    lightweight,maybe 10 grms heavier than stated but lighter than xtr,stiff,looks.

Weaknesses:    surface scratches to give a matt look but even xtr scratches,so what!had initial problems with single teeth bending on the big ring but discovered that it must of been a rock hitting the teeth,i got it sorted.

Bottom Line:
i liked the xtr chainset but i became obssessed with attaining a goal of 23 lbs for the fuel 80 and i decided on FSA,so far so good although i'm still waiting on a warranty replacement FSA ti bb and its been about 4 months but i'm not bothered as i love the bill shook cro-mo bb,yes i would not hesitate recommending the carbon chainset.

Favorite Trail:   red route glentress

Purchased At:   alpine bikes glasgow scotland

Similar Products Used:   xtr,xt,deore and alivio.

Bike Setup:   2001 trek fuel 80 down to 22.5 lbs

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Look great, stiff, light (at least they feel light - haven't actually weighed them).

Weaknesses:    Finish on arms scratches easily. Kind of spendy.

Bottom Line:
I love these cranks! I consider myself an aggressive rider and I haven't experienced any of the problems listed in other reviews. Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself by saying that. They feel like they transfer power well, shift well, and still look great even with a few scratches and scrapes from the occasional rock. I built this bike with two goals in mind: (1)Use lots of carbon. (2)Use NO Shimano (I guess it's an anti-establishment thing. Sadly, I had to use an XT front der, as the Sram didn't fit my frame. But that's all!). These cranks fit both goals nicely.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Trek YfiveO, Sram 9.0 drivetrain (everything except XT front derailleur), Hope mini disc brakes, Black elite air fork, other carbon tidbits, Eggbeaters, Sun DS1 rims laced to Magura hubs.

Submitted by roger from ridgefield,ct

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff as xtr, light, looks good

Weaknesses:    Stock chain rings shift poorly

Bottom Line:
I have these cranks on all three of my bikes. Most of these reviews complain about durability, I beg to differ. I have slammed many a rock here in the northeast without any problems. And most of these reviews say thay gave out after only 3 or 4 months, i find that hard to believe. I have had these cranks on all my bikes for way longer than most of these reviewers, since they first cameout, without any problems. The problem is not the cranks!!!!!!!!

FYI If you are having shifting problems with the stock chain rings swap them out for XT chain rings, the problem will go away, my bikes shift flawlessly now.