Home | Reviews | Crankset | FSA

FSA Afterburner Crankset

3.58/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 700 grams MSRP : $269.99

FSA goes 2x10!Their new Afterburner 2x10 is available in versions specifically designed for compatibility with either SRAM orShimano 2x10 setups.They feature hollow, forged 6061 aluminum arms for superior stiffness and strength-to-weight ratio. Included bottom bracket fits 68 or 73mm BB shells AL-7075 CNC-machined chainrings use with 10 speed chain and cassette

Submitted by Tyron a Racer from Washington US

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Looks nice! 7075 chainrings dose not flex. Bolts are strong. Light and sturdy. I'm a racer, I've been using this for more than 2 years hasn't failed me.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this FSA crankset rather than Shimano to my friends.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face and Crank brothers.

Bike Setup:   Titus, Sram, FSA stuff

Submitted by Chris johnson a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my 7/9/05 review. I was getting chain suck from the afterburner, just about every kind: one ring (without shifting, the ring would not let go of the chain, and suck); two ring (while shifting from small to middle and middle to small); and, whatever you want to call it when the nuts for the chain ring bolts pick up the pins in the chain and....suck. I called FSA and told them my deal. They were suprized to hear about the chain suck, but sent me some shorter nuts. And, AND, a set of new rings. (The 44t was even an upgrade.) Very cool of them. When putting on the small ring, I found that a bolt had been cross threaded (at the factory) into the spider. Nothing a longer cromo bolt did not fix. But, even with the new rings, a five minute ride on pavement gave me a couple cases of two ring suck. I called FSA back. They had me send in the whole drive side. I got a new one back in about a week. Very cool of them. I did a rather easy 25 mile xc ride with no chain suck. Then I did a rather difficult 30 mile xc ride, which gave me a very nasty case of single ring suck on the small ring...just pushing hard up a hill without sifting, and the chain gets carried around and suck. So, I am thinking the cause is the ring design.

I would not buy this product again, although I think it is very cool, at least to look at. It works very nicely when not taking all the paint off my chain stay.

But, I must say, all the people at FSA, especially Bryan, have been very cool and very helpful. They pretty much have done everything within reason, although I still have the problem. They have not given me a hard time. They are trying to make it right. I have a lot of FSA stuff on three different bikes, and all have been great except for the afterburner. These other parts, and the folks at FSA, still provide me reason to buy some of their other stuff. Just not another afterburner.

I am going to try a 22t cromo ring and see if that helps.

Favorite Trail:   one with no chain suck

Submitted by Chris Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Strengths:    They are all negated to zero by the weaknesses

Weaknesses:    The nuts for the chain bolts that hold the largest and middle rings in place are in direct line with the pins in the chain links when the chain is on the small ring. The nuts stick out enough so as to catch the pins, in just about any gear in the back. And when you are out bouncing around, and the chain is bouncing around, every gear. This seems to be the case when in the middle ring also. The pins are getting picked up by either the bolts, or the ramping pins. So: Chain suck. Even in the bike stand. I have never had chain suck before, but now, in pretty much every gear. The worst chain suck I or anyone else has ever seen. It makes the bike, well, stay in the stand, until I can get a new crank. But now I am stuck with this one which is worthless. It seems to just be a terrible design. Worthless. It is on a new frame (with a very hashed up chain stay thanks to the crappy crank) with a new chain, new cassette, new bb, and new front and rear mechs. The afterburner simply does not work.

Bottom Line:
Don't put this product on your bike.

Favorite Trail:   the dirt one

Similar Products Used:   stx, lx old and new, xt, fsa vdrive extreme

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Rock Hound, Velomax wheels, bar end tape...like I can even ride it now.

Submitted by Geoffrey Tudor a Cross Country Rider from Sequim, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    Super positive response to pedal forces, NO flex (and I'm a225 lb.-er!), lightweight and, finally, gorgeous in both design and execution!

Weaknesses:    Black powdercoat shows wear/scratches easily, but a little model paint touches it up; laser-etched graphics are so shallow, they'll wear off.

Bottom Line:
I DIG these cranks! When I stand up and tromp, they just plain GO! No more creaks, no more flex, just power-to-the-pedal, and what more could you ask for (did I mention the light weight and the beauty factor)? Super sweet upgrade!

Favorite Trail:   Resurrection Pass, AK

Similar Products Used:   First ISIS crank, but not last! Otherwise, XT taperlock is std. for my rides.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, handbuilt from frame, lotta Ti where it counts, XTR D's, old-school Control Tech S/P & stem, Hugi/WTB wheels.

Submitted by Igor Matheus a Cross Country Rider from Ibicarai,Bahia,Brasil

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2004

Strengths:    Look, Strengh, Black Color, Durability of the rings

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I think that I used my crakarms about 30.000 Km. I don't ride only off-road, but, 70% are off-road and the rings are perfect. The paint is wearing out, but, are two years ... This crank have a good price for the weight and durability.

Favorite Trail:   Trilha do Caldo

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX, Truvativ

Bike Setup:   Scott Comp Racing, Rock Duke XC, SRAM X.0, Hubs e Nipples DT with Mavic and Ritchey rims, XTR Pedals, Easton EC70 Handlebar

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Airdrie Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    look nice and strong

Weaknesses:    stripped the crank were the pedal goes in off of a two foot drop. Lots of flex. THey are CRAP!

Bottom Line:
They are crap. Busted em off of a 2 foot drop. Good for cross country though.

Favorite Trail:   P. Waste

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Truvative Husselfelts

Bike Setup:   2001 norco drop. z1 dropoffs. FUNN stem and handlebar. anti snake bite wheelsets.

Submitted by Ian (in London) a Weekend Warrior from the UK

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light, stiff, nicely machined quality, includes self-extracting bolts.

Weaknesses:    As per all coloured cranks, the paint wears down, and who decided that Torx30 bolts were a good idea??! Get some 5mm allen bolts in there before you have a problem on the trail and no tools!

Bottom Line:
Why do some reviewers cite the weight as heavy? Mine weighed 629 grammes when I installed them!!

Stiff, nicely machined, and good quality rings. In the UK in the winter, they wear out fast if they are lesser quality as it's muddy as hell. These appear good. The crank is notably stiffer than the one it replaced (LX), runs true, I have bent the BB and the cranks were fine and it's light.

Not bad value either, unless you pay full whack for it, but here in the UK there are some killer offers on the square taper version, which I got for about half price.

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   Ringle, XT, LX, Strongarm II (awful), XTR

Bike Setup:   FSR XC, BETD, Chris King, XT, Fox

Submitted by nathan carlson a Weekend Warrior from asheville

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    it was at first a stiff crank very stiff and felt good good looks

Weaknesses:    it got wallowed out now i have a 1/4-1/2" of play on the richt crankarm. not some thing i wanted to happen when i spent $180 i'm as mad as a cat with a stick up its butt

Bottom Line:
i can't believe that it screwed up like this this crank was supposed to be bombproof, but a 145 lb. rider screwed it.

Favorite Trail:   kitsumah

Similar Products Used:   sugino impel shimano altus( at least it didn't wallow out

Submitted by tom martin-harris a Weekend Warrior from england

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Strengths:    They look great,
ride incredibly,
very solid

Weaknesses:    none!
I love these cranks

Bottom Line:
These cranks are ultimatly great for trials, i have been using mine for a while and they have not scratched loads- like cranks do whe you r ridin trials! They r very solid, no flex, and for trials you can adapt spiders so you can run a monty style plate as the spider bolts on ad off, and so forth-m THE BEST TRIALS CRANKS- must be good for other stuff too.

Similar Products Used:   LX cranks

Bike Setup:   Brisa-Trials set up

Submitted by coop1 a Downhiller from nc

Date Reviewed: October 9, 1999

Strengths:
this crank looks awesome, works awesome, it's heavy so it's awesome. it's not a skimpy little twig it is burly.

Weaknesses:
the only weakness is it's on my friends bike, and i don't have one for mine yet.

Bottom Line:
this crank is awesome. it works nice, and looks nice. you can slam it, and it won't bend or crack, like everything else he's busted on his bike when jumping.

not sure

6 months

XT, LX, and other shimanos Sugino, White Industies, and many more.

his bike is a kona kilawea with an upgraded marzocchi Z3, full XT, soon to have a brand new set of sun mammoth rims. this bike is upgraded really nice.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1999

Strengths:
stiff, strong, blah blah blah

Weaknesses:
Heavy, crank bolt comes loose

Bottom Line:
If you like the machined look, then its trick. Weighs a ton, it's really for the downhillers I reckon. The bolt attaching it to the BB comes loose, although the actual crank does not. Also the middle and outer are rotated slightly, relative to each other, so splines and ramps may not work as well as they are designed to. Other than that, sweet.

Six Foot Track, Blue Mtns

6 months

LX

Kona

Submitted by Richard Utting a Racer from Ipswich, UK

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
strength, looks, 3ring ok

Weaknesses:
only available in ATB

Bottom Line:
strong. Will do the job. There are other good cranks out there but i like these because the slot for the BB doesn't wear out like some. Good build. I've been running them for two years, no probs, which is rare. Highly recommended

2 Years

ac dh, shimano xt, xtr, lx, race face, middleburn

rotwild rdh02, boxxers, custom rear shock, hope biguns and disks, azonic cockpit, fsa afterburner cranks with ac chain device.

FSA Afterburner Crankset Front Derailleur

Hey guys, I'm looking into the prospect of replacing the cheapo 3x9 drivetrain on my hardtail (intended for mixed commuting/trail/bikepacking) with a 2x10 drivetrain and I'd like to keep a big ring and a relatively small ring to keep the range nice and wide. Recently I've been looking into FSA's cr ... Read More »

REI Afterburner trail-a-bike on singletrack

Anyone use an REI Afterburner on singletrack? The warning sticker says "For On Road Use Only". :p I'm going to change the slick tire for a knobby. Only issue I see is the low bottom bracket. It's a new loop for me but it's described as beginner friendly so I think the trail won't be too technic ... Read More »

FSA "compact" vs "standard" Afterburner crankset?

Hello, I have a question regarding the older version [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2A11MS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B2A11MS&linkCode=as2&tag=ygkpjc-20"]FSA 39/27T compact crankset[/URL]. I bought one off eBay to put on my bike, but just realized it ... Read More »

FSA afterburner cranks

I am running 2x9 with FSA afterburner cranks. The drive side of the crank is open, you can see through to the preload screw on the non-drive side. I replaced a chainring a few months ago but for the life of me can't remember if i took out a plug or something. There are no threads on the inside so i ... Read More »

Any experience with the FSA Afterburner BB30 triple crankset?

I'm in need of a new crankset since I stripped the drive side peddle threads on my old Shimano M590s. I found a set of FSA Afterburner BB30 cranks on sale at PerformanceBike for $129 in polished silver and they look great! I would be using them on a 2011 Giant Anthem X frame that I just put together ... Read More »