Home | Reviews | Crankset | DMR

• Tough and incredibly stiff
  • Solid feel

Submitted by Matt O'Cain a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Super solid/stiff feel.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy... but they are chromoly so thats to be expected.

Bottom Line:
I had some gravity gap cranks on my bike, which I was happy with, but I got these through a trade so I figured I would give them a try. Pretty easy to install and once I put them on my bike felt completely different. I was blown away with how there was instant power transfer from pedals to wheels. All the flex that my bike had before was gone and it made it feel sooooo solid!

Bike Setup:   Kona Cowan

Submitted by Benny a Downhiller from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Strengths:    Wonderfully Stiff, nice geometry (I bought the 175mm version), easy to mount, need no attention once mounted.

Weaknesses:    These being made of chromoly, they can get a bit rusty if left out in the elements (so don't leave your bike in the rain!) Although not a problem for me, the chrome plating could flake or scratch off for those who do pedal grinds.

Bottom Line:
I chose Truvativ Hussefelt Cranks with a Howitzer Pro DH BB when first building my bike, but found that, due to the non-tapering shape of the BB, the cranks always had some play in them no matter how much torque was applied to the bolts.

In frustration, I went on eBay and bought the Crisis cranks, and then realized they wouldn't work on my Howitzer BB, so I went down to the LBS and bought a cheap Race Face model. Once the BB was mounted, it was basically just a matter of putting the crank arms on and tightening the bolts - easy (you might want to add some lock-tite just for extra security)

All in all, I'm really happy with these cranks. They performed above and beyond my expectations, and soundly beat the crap through the Hussefelts. Noting the possible small problems I noted, I give these a full 5 chillis.

Purchased At:   eBay