Cook Brothers Racing F-Series Crankset

3.81/5 (21 Reviews)

Cook Brothers Racing F-Series

Submitted by zouch a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    beautiful form in a demanding function.

Weaknesses:    creaks if not lubed regularly, and not easy to get reassembled so that the spider is properly aligned and the rings are properly centered.

Bottom Line:
Jack (Witmer, of the late Cook Bros. Racing) recommended i use a 111mm BB spindle with these, and the chainline has worked out fine with the 135mm rear axle spacing of the 'lügi.

while i love the look of these cranks and they don't seem to flex inordinately under my 215lb lard'ness, they're the only cranks i have that require periodic lubing where the spider attaches to the arm in order to keep them from creaking annoyingly. i've tried various grease and anti-seize products, but nothing lasts for as long as i think it should.

additionally, it seems more difficult than it should be to get the spider reassembled to the drive-side arm so that the rings don't wobble around the the BB spindle causing the rear Derailleur to bob slightly.

undeniably beautiful (and they polish up nicely with a little Simichrome, if you care about that sort of thing), but like so many beautiful things, more High Maintenance than they really should be with regard to something that simply shouldn't be an issue at all. sadly out of character with my experience with most other CBR products.

Purchased At:   previously owned

Similar Products Used:   White Industries, XT (various generations), Cook Bros. Racing RSRs, Specialized, Sugino, Campy, etc.,...

Bike Setup:   Ibis Hakkalügi, in 'Fire Road Bike/all-'rounder' trim; Dura-Ace 9-speed Triple drivetrain with Specialite TA rings, Phil 'Magnium' Bottom Bracket, and (usually) Nuke Proof carbon hubs.

Submitted by gunner01 a Cross Country Rider from August, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Bomb strength, light weight and great power transfer. I've put these cranks through everything. I'm 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs, so I even if I rode soft the pressure is tough.

Weaknesses:    I've read elsewhere that they are short crank arms, and this may be true (I've done no due diligence) but I don't notice any power loss nor have I had issues of clearance for my ankles.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what you could complain about? Perhaps I need to ride some other cranks, but I've had these for 10 years and I can't fault them.

Favorite Trail:   Folks Area Trail System

Purchased At:   Cycle Works Lincoln

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Klein, with XT, Flight Control

Submitted by Jabo None a Racer from Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2005

Strengths:    STIFF, STRONG, Cool!

Weaknesses:    2-piece design requires maintnance to keep from creaking

Bottom Line:
Near Net Forged Cranks are STRONG! They look decent too... Not elegant bike art like my E2's, but still nice.

After 5 years riding these I have nothing but praise for them. When I first got them I was swapping out from a 2-peice XT crank. The XT were good, but not as stiff, and the XT CREAKED! Not as stiff as my Sweet Wings, but great for an AL crankset.

While the F-cranks didn't creak at first, I found they needed annual maintenance to stay creak-free. This required removing the locking ring on the back of the crank arm, cleaning & re-applying anti-seize. This has kept the F-cranks rockin!

Who are F cranks for:
Trail riders, XC racers, DH guys, Dirt jumpers. If you like to go really big or you regularly land flat you'll probably want a crank that allows the use of a larger diameter BB - ISIS options.

As with any crank good shifting is a function of chain-line. Buy the wrong BB & suffer the consequences. I use a 104mm BB in my Moots & all is fine. Measure twice, buy once!

Those that complained about chain-line need to look up Shimano's specs (measure from middle of bb shell to mid chain ring - with crank pressed on). Make sure everything lines up. There are some crank/frame combinations, which just don't work well. Recognize that this is the combination - not the fault of either individual product.

The only weakness of this crank is the interchangeable spider - Read my comments about maintenance above. Caveat: The CBR specific locking ring is a PAIN to get on or off. Thankfully an old XT lock-ring fits, and is now in use on my cranks.

I wish CBR were still making bike-stuff, their cranks ride well & look good on a bike. In contrast XTR is nice & functions great, but looks...?

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR Sweet Wings

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB OR Turner Burner

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from West Greenwich, RI USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Strengths:    Great crankset. Very stiff and durable.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Great cranks. No fatigue at 1,000 miles, still look good.

Favorite Trail:   Rena's trail, Arcadia

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, TruVativ

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 600 disc

Submitted by Rich Cast a Cross Country Rider from Big Bear, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    Unbelievably strong. Amazingly stiff. ALL your lag power goes to the chain.

Weaknesses:    Time consuming to set up.

Bottom Line:
Some peolple say they`re heavy. That`s subjective. My ex-wife is heavy. I logged over 25,000 miles all over United States, Europe, Canada and Mexico on my Bonzo Fury that regularly wieghed over 100 pounds with these cranks. On the same bike, I won a national trials championship and numerous state championships on them.
I broke forks, wheels, pedals,handlebars and hearts. I did not break the cranks. My friends laugh and tell me to upgrade.
"Sure," I say, "When they come out with something better"
Anybody know where I can get replacement TA chainrings?

Favorite Trail:   Portal Trail, Moab

Purchased At:   Factory, Santa Ana.

Similar Products Used:   SR,TA,Shimano,Suntour.

Bike Setup:   `84 Cook Brother`s Bonzo Fury.

Submitted by Jen W. a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Strengths:    Looks like a well built, sturdy crank (with one major "flaw")

Weaknesses:    Nowhere near the amount of offset as most cranks (e.g. Shimano, RaceFace, TruVativ, etc.)

Bottom Line:
These are very nice cranks. Their design is not only unique, but even intuitively, it seems like a very sturdy, rigid design. The back surface (i.e. the surface that faces the bb) is concave, thus making the crank appear to be like half an I-beam in cross section. The build quality is very nice.

Two problems I have with this crank. The first is that the place where the dust caps screw in are not centered around the point of rotation, thus, when you spin the cranks fast, the dust caps appear to wobble slightly. Although this has no functional consequences, it does indicate somewhat of a lack of precision.

The second problem is a major one. These cranks have almost an inch less of offset than most cranks, meaning that the end of the crank (where the pedal spindle inserts) is closer to the chainstays than most other cranks. Furthermore, Cook Brothers recommends that you use a bottom bracket with a short spindle, a 107mm!! If I do that, these cranks would clear my chainstays by about 2mm! That's way too close! If you use a longer spindle, my chainline is off and I have shifting problems.

The verdict? I have to dump these cranks and get something else. They are incredibly nice cranks, especially if you have a frame where the chainstays are pulled inward a little. But because they have much less offset than the industry standard, which renders them nearly incompatible with some frames, I'm gonna give them two flaming turds.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, Welgo pedals.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from San Antonio, Tx

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    Look cool, very stiff, ok weight, work very well with shimano gruppos

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've had these cranks for a while now. First, I had shifting problems with my chainrings. Then I replaced them with Shimano chainrings (also have a Shimano rear derailleur). Now my bike shifts super solid. If you run these cranks with shimano chainrings and stay away from mixing up your shifting components, these cranks work beatifully. Try to get em on sale though.

Favorite Trail:   Crownridge

Purchased At:   forgot

Similar Products Used:   XT cranks

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, MO

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, Looks, Design, Looks, Looks, Looks (hint, hint)

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than comparable models, but it LOOKS better.

Bottom Line:
This has got to be the best crankset I have ever used. I work at a bike shop and so get to try all sorts of cranks, from cheapie to expensive, and these by far are the best. I have two pairs, one on my daily ride and my race bike, and they both hold up wonderfully. I got the special gray set as a special deal, and they look even cooler than the black set I have on my Kona. They even cost $30 less to boot. These are definitely worth the money even at full retail of ~$200, and I would get them at that price if I had to.

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Cheapie cranks, anything anfd everything

Bike Setup:   Kona (Race): XTR, RaceFace, Time, Onza, Avid
Univega (Daily): XT, Other assorted

Submitted by Hoss from Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, looks, stiff, price, quiet & stiff

Weaknesses:    Like all anodized products the color wears off, but that shows you ride.

Bottom Line:
These are very nice cranks at any price and the fact that I can throw on Shimano chainrings is bonus. I would recommend these to anyone looking to spiff up their ride.

Favorite Trail:   dirt trails

Similar Products Used:   xt, lx & stx

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race, Superfly, xtr, Valiant/NukeProof

Submitted by Alvin a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, Quality, Racing History (BMX)

Weaknesses:    None yet. Possibly weight. See below

Bottom Line:
These can be had for very little money through Cambria Bikes at $149. They are awesome and I've always wanted them. I wanted them back when I had a BMX bike and when I heard that they were making cranks for mountain bikes, I knew I had to have them, but waited almost a year before I got them. These cranks are the most artworthy piece on any bike and they're as boutique as you can get. People do complain about their weight vs. RaceFace Turbine LPs, but I have a theory on this one: I weighed both my turbine lps and cook bros. F cranks on my company's digital postal scale. The Cook Brothers came in at 1 pound 1.6 oz. The turbine lps came in at 15 oz. That's a difference of 2.6 oz. Now here's where RF manages to beat Cook Bros on weight. They don't include the spacers for middle and outer chainrings into their crank arms. You have to get these large spacers separately. On Cook Bros. and most other cranks these spacers are part of the forged process so that all you need is the chainring bolt to secure the middle chainring and outer chainring. I'll bet these spacers (which are usually steel) weigh at least 2.6 ozs. Further, the chainring bolts are also larger and probably weigh a couple ounces more than standard chainring bolts. Conclusion: there is no difference in weight between RF and Cook Bros F cranks. I say this not to detract or criticize either cranks. I have both, but I want to clarify to Cook Bros. fans that you can buy these cranks and not experience a weight penalty vs. your trusty RF Turbines LPs.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Turbine LP, Specialized Son of Strong Arm

Bike Setup:   Dean Oscar, XTR build, Mavic 217s, SDG Saddle, Rock Shox SID XC

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, snappy looking, no creaks and get lots of envious comments.

Weaknesses:    None, maybe a little heavy (but that's not much of a trade off for the strength).

Bottom Line:
All in all, I gotta say that I really like these cranks-
just got back from the annual trip to Moab where I pushed as hard as I could and boy are they stiff. Aaron @ Cooks really came through and I take back my previous comments about customer service. You won't be unhappy with these cranks!