Bontrager Race Lite Crankset

2.63/5 (72 Reviews)
Weight : 660 grams MSRP : $180.00

• The culmination of years of testing, research and design
  • Cold forged, polished, 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, low profile arms
  • New ISIS Drive bottom bracket interface
  • CNC machined 7075-T6 nickel plated aluminum 44 tooth chainring, made from ultrastiff 5mm 7075-T6 aluminum
  • CNC machined, hard anodized 7075-T6 aluminum 32 and 22 tooth chainrings
  • Anodized aluminum alloy chainring bolts
  • Aluminum crank arm extractor bolts

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2013

Strengths:    Price weight and durabilty

Weaknesses:    Cost of chainrings

Bottom Line:
    Purchased the crank in 2003 and I'm still using it to this day. I used it for racing and now for trails. I have not found a crank that feels as solid as lite or as strong for the cost. The chain rings on the otber hand are pricey. But overall a really great crank for cheap. I paid less then 100.00 for it mine new in 2003

Duration Product Used:   10 years

Purchased At:   recyclist

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xt deore and raceface.

Bike Setup:   Gaint frane with sram xo components and easton ea90 bar stem and seatpost. Shimano xt brakset.

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2007

Strengths:    Durable rings

Weaknesses:    Expensive replacement rings when you do have to replace them

Bottom Line:
    What can I say about the crankset but that they work. I have never had a crankset break or bend ever. No creaks or problems. I am just now having to replace the rings after three years of riding which I consider phenominal compared to Shimano rings that I would have replaced in half the time. I hardly every clean my chain but do use dry lube frequently. Problem is that replacement rings cost as much as a new Race Face crankset and are only available from the LBS. 4 chilis because of the replacement cost for rings.

Favorite Trail:   Atlantic Ave. Trails

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT Cranksets

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Liquid 30, 200 lb rider, regularly take 5 ft. drops.

Submitted by Jonas a Racer from Vaasa, Finland

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2005

Strengths:    Looks nice, has worked really well sofar, sturdy and durable chainrings.

Weaknesses:    Expensive if you have to pay the full price, not as light as it says on the package.

Bottom Line:
    Overall good cranks, but not as light as XTR. I think todays XT would also be lighter and cheaper. But if you get them cheap they are excellent. Chainrings haven't suffered from hitting a few stones, they are MUCH harder than eg. shimano LX.

Favorite Trail:   pilvimaja

Purchased At:   some shop

Similar Products Used:   nope

Bike Setup:   Santacruz superlight, Marathon S 100, shimano XT, Hayes HFX Mag+,

Submitted by Blacky a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    Light. Stiff. Simple. Bombproof.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Just replaced my trusty Sugar 3 (after riding almost daily for five years) with a 2003 GF Team. The "new" bike has an XTR Hollowtech crank with one season on it. The XTR crank is pretty, but spinning it without a chain I can hear the bearings and it only spins three or four turns. The five-year-old Bontrager bottom bracket is completely quiet and spins a dozen turns, plus the reviews here on the XTR don't make me feel warm and fuzzy, especially the part about the $100 replacement chainrings. I'm tempted to swap it for new a Bontrager. For me a couple of ounces on the bottom of the bike don't make up for zero maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   Bothel Ski & Sport

Bike Setup:   I put "0" for cost because it came stock on my 2000 Sugar 3. Whipperman 908 chain. XT cassette. Stock chainrings lasted about 2 years, riding daily (lots of cliimbing, about 10 hours a week). Replaced chainrings with TruVativ, including a steel 22.

Submitted by Enosz a Cross Country Rider from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Till good it works properly, stressless riding suits it.

Weaknesses:    Creaking, ghostsift and bending. When you do it hard, it just gives in.

Bottom Line:
    Gives you fine performance till you get used to your machine, but wears of when you turn serious. I got it as a crankset. The bottom bracket was just pulverised after a year and it seems impossibile to get rid of the damn creaking and strange noises, no matter if you are becoming a "wholebuyer" of WD40 of T-40 teflon lubricants. It drives ok, but with heavier loads (I'm 180 lbs and 6+ ft) it just dies with noises.
    Entry level, but pricey for that and for soft ridding only.

Purchased At:   www.nella.hu

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 (2003) with some mods towards Shimano XT, but going to Truvative

Submitted by Paul Watters a Cross Country Rider from Marina, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Works fine. Strong large chainring
    Does not creak (that was the BB)!

Weaknesses:    Came with poor racelite BB
    Middle chainring worn after 20 months but I guess this is typical

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy from Footloose at Mammoth Lakes!! The salesman told me that the cranks MSRP=$300 and the BB MSRP=$100. Sold them to me for $225 for the set. Also lied about the weight.

These cranks are fine. They do the job. I've hit plenty of rocks and logs with the cranks and chainring. No problems.

The racelight BB sucks!! Replaced with FSA platinum and the creaking went away.

Favorite Trail:   Sandhill Ridge (22)

Purchased At:   Ripped off @ Footloose Sports, Mammoth Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Strongarm (nice), Shimano

Bike Setup:   2000 Stumpjumper FSRxc fully upgraded

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Creaking, chainsuck, chaindrop, ghostshifts, bad quality chainrings that bend and chip.

Bottom Line:
    Perhaps mine was a bad unit that came with the bike. However, I wrote Trek and they defered me to the Cycle Center which did everything to make this thing work including a complete rebuild and added a new SRAM 59 chain. After three months of weekly fixes, I purchased the Raceface setup. That was the best thing about the Bontrager. Shame on Trek for lack of support. Thanks to the crew at Cycle Center for putting up with me.

Purchased At:   Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Next LP

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90 disk w Raceface Next LP crank ISIS Signature BB and 48/36/26 chain rings, Rock Shox SID Team, MaxM low riser bar and seatpost, Chris King No thread headset, SRAM 99 chain and 9 11-32t cassette, San Marco Arrowhead seat.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2003

Strengths:    i had the bontrager sport crankset but somehow mtbr doesnt have a product review on those? so im doing my reviewe here...shifts ok, i guess... never really had a problem until that thing bent on me

Weaknesses:    easily bent

Bottom Line:
    the biggest chainring bent.... i dont even know what i bent it on, and im pretty sure i didnt fall when it bent either... that must be a pretty weak chainring.... so i replaced it for the deore lx 44t chainring... other than that, everything else is ok, 4 chilis for holding up even though one of them bent....

Purchased At:   Ultimate Bicycle

Bike Setup:   gary fisher tassajara stock except for the deore lx crank i had to replace the 44T (biggest) chainring with that bent

Submitted by Matt Fulks a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Looks okay. Goes in a circle when I pedal. Seems to shift okay. Could be better.

Weaknesses:    CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK.........

Bottom Line:
    The bike is great, but I'm not impressed with this crankset. If I don't soak the bike in oil overnight and put my kung fu allen wrench grip on these things before every ride, they creak like mad! Drives me nuts and makes my $1,100 bike sound like a Wal-Mart jaloppy. Creak creak creak creak creak creak creak is what I hear every time I pedal. I guess a benefit would be that I stay in the saddle more since when I stand up and mash on these things is sounds as if they are going to break in two. I'll give these things two flaming chili's based on the fact that they look okay, go in a circle, and haven't cracked in two yet.

Purchased At:   Al's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Cheap crank on old Trek 6000

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000

Submitted by Tim Hartfield a Cross Country Rider from Lake Oswego OR.

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light, nice looking.

Weaknesses:    chain shifting,loose chain ring bolts.

Bottom Line:
    I got my year and a half of major abuse and they worked just fine,The wear and tear is now upon them and I'm going to XTR. No regrets.

Favorite Trail:   Browns Camp

Purchased At:   The Bike Gallery

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1,stock components.

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Franklin,TN

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, relatively light, shifts cleanly.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
    This crankset was a great deal on a known product. Bontrager doesn't make the cranks, they are re-badged Truvativ Firex Team cranks which are great (the BB is Truvativ as well). The cranks are stiff and lightweight and works flawlessly with my XTR setup. I have not had any creaking or shifting problems like some of the others, though, I believe they (Truvativ) made changes to them for 2003.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   MOAB

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT & White Bros.

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Rock Hound with XTR, Bontrager Race Tubeless wheels, Rock Shox Psylo SL

Submitted by niklas a Cross Country Rider from espoo, finland

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    Color

Weaknesses:    Creaking, chainsuck, ghostshifts, the bolts get loose

Bottom Line:
    Came stock on my bike. The crankset is CREAKING!!! :( The bolts loosen up regularly, have to tighten them before every ride. Loud if the chain isn't dripping oil, as if the chain isn't suitable for the rings? Shifting is not accurate. On-road they work fine, and look good. Sometimes they are causing some real problems off-road. The creaking isn't a big problem, but sure is annoying!