Bontrager Race Lite GXP Crankset

• Tru-Vativ Giga X-Pipe bottom
  • Coined and machined 7075 alloy

Submitted by winsolo a Cross Country Rider from NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Despite these cranks being second hand - I do not know how long the first owner had them - they remain stiff. I have ridden these cranks for a little more than two years. They feel good while climbing, but I am a light weight. They are also a great for the money.

Weaknesses:    As everyone else says, they creak loudly. I don't know why mine is creaking. I have to open up the BB and see what the problem is, but they started creaking maybe after my first year? Again, I don't know how long the first owner had it. Finally, the paint is chipping.

Bottom Line:
Considering cost, experience and cranks ability I feel as though they were a great. It seems like chipping paint and creaking becomes an issue after "x" amount of time, but aside from aesthetics and sound they're great.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105

Bike Setup:   KHS Steel!

Submitted by Richard Coombes a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2008

Strengths:    I have had no problems with the Bontrager Race Light GXP Crank. It is a very stiff crank and does not creek at all. I am very tough on my Crank. I am 6'3" and weigh 260 and my Bontrager cranks has held up very well.

Weaknesses:    So far there are none. The Trek 2100 ia a great Weekend Warrior bicycle.

Bottom Line:
I am happy with my Trek 2100 as a whole. The bike has a very smooth ride to it. There is no chain noise during my ride. The Bontrager Crank is very strong and does not creek. The shimano 105 shifters shift supperbly. They work as well or better than a set of Dura Ace Shifters. The Shimano 105 Breaks are very sound. I have no problem stopping. The Bontrager wheeles are Superb infact that was why I chose this bike over others. The wheeles spin for an eternity.

Purchased At:   Trek 2100/Trek Bicyc

Bike Setup:   Trek 2100 Road Bike Shimano 105 Components. Ultegra rear derailer. Carbon Front Forks and Carbon Mainstays. ZR9000 Aluminum Frame

Submitted by bige a Cross Country Rider from mechanicsburg,pa

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Strengths:    crank is strong and bearings lasted 2 years. I would say crank was worth money buying off shop employee who upgraded. Same quality as shimano lx model.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips off crank and get out dated with front derailer. I upgraded to XT 2008 front derailer and had major pain in getting it to drop to granny. Figured if I had a more current crank alignment wouldn't be issue. Got it to work after 2 months of changing shifting habits to shift down before hitting hills (hard to do sometime in tight singletrack).

Bottom Line:
This was a great crank for me to get 2 year abuse out of. It seem to never give me any problems with shifting or changing chainrings, until I upgrade the front derailer.

I would say if your looking for a cheap crank and can get one as bargain it fit the bill for durability. I never had any problems with BB once I got it tight (had my BB thread twice because it wasn't chased correctly went I bought frame) 2nd time.

My crank look like a dog bone now, so I went with a 2007 LX crank (got cheap off a buddy who got 29 and went with new crank for 180 length). 2 years for a crank is a reasonable time frame for me.

Favorite Trail:   RCST trails

Purchased At:   gettysburg cycle

Similar Products Used:   shimano, truativ, and ritchey cranks.

Bike Setup:   YETI 2006 ARC cross country 4" travel, with 2003 RLC fox fork.

Submitted by Jorge a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    Design, strong, durability

Weaknesses:    Non so far

Bottom Line:
Lets see, for a guy my weight (54 kg) and for dirt paths is a very good crank. I ride on this bicycle between 100 to 150 km a week on mountain areas and so far the crank set does not flex, it keeps the original finish and the bottom bracket is tight as on the day I assemble it.

Purchased At:   Israel

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Fire X

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed Team frame, XTR hubs, Rock Shocks Duke, Bontager race rims, derrailleurs Sram X7, cassete 7 etc

Submitted by Hanu a Cross Country Rider from Sherbrooke

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Very little flex when powering uphill

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I don't think some of these reviews are for the right crankset. ISIS? This isn't an ISIS spline, it's an external BB design.

I haven't had one single problem. Maybe it's cuz I've had it installed by my LBS.
It's a great bang for the buck purchase!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX (1998)

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 with Bontrager Race Lite, SRAM X9 set-up

Submitted by Jeff Roginielewicz a Cross Country Rider from Derby, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Strengths:    None, maybe a nice glitzy carbon look when new!

Weaknesses:    These cranks have several flaws. The biggest one I have found is that the aluminum sleeve where the pedal connects is improperly machined. The sleeve is most likely oversized and as a result has a "STRONG" tendency to strip! Mine did, and guess what, even though I've had my bike for less than 3 months and have ridden it sparingly, Trek refuses to have it warranteed. These cranks have left a very poor taste in my mouth and I will never purchase another trek product again due to these Bontrager cranks. I don't ride my bike that hard, mostly mild cross country terrain. I always maintain my bike and made sure nothing is loose. This is a freaking safety hazard and thankfully this happened when I was going a mere 5 mph and not cranking downhill out of the saddle.

Bottom Line:
Save your money or spend it more wisely and opt for a pair of Shimano XT's or XTR's. These cranks are poor quality and notice the pattern, most if not all of Bontrager's cranks have bad reviews. I now know why and suggest you avoid these as I do not want to have anyone else get burned by buying these. It's bad enough these were OEM on my bike.

Purchased At:   Class Cycles in Southbury

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX cranks.

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Ziggurat

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Antioch

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    Haven't had chain suck, shifts pretty good.

Weaknesses:    Plating chips off. C section of crank arm is a weak design.

Bottom Line:
I'm just waiting for these cranks to break. The plating chips off and the crank just looks horrible as a result. Personally, Shimano cranks are better and I wish my bike came with them instead of these inferior Bontrager cranks. In fact, I have been unimpressed overall with Bontrager parts and would have preferred Shimano. Also, ISIS blows. ISIS bottom brackets have a short lifespan due to the small bearings. My first bottom bracket developed play in the bearings in less than a year and creaked like mad.

Purchased At:   New Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano cranks.

Bike Setup:   Sugar 292

Submitted by Casey a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh pa

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    external BB, great shifting, lightweight, greak looks

Bottom Line:
great cranks, go to trek of pittsburgh and buy some, and some bikes, buy the madone SSLX

Favorite Trail:   Bavington