Bontrager Race GXP Crankset

2.58/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 930 grams MSRP : $200.00

• 7075-T6 aluminum outer
  • Strong, flex-free arms cold forged
  • Tru-Vativ Giga X-Pipe bottom bracket

Submitted by jdefran a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2011

Strengths:    Great for a stock part. Seems strong and durable. External bottom bracket ensures a smooth spin of the cranks.

Weaknesses:    Nothing wrong per se, just no need for large ring where I ride

Bottom Line:
Great for a stock part, guess you shouldn't expect less for a bike with such a high msrp.

Since everything is relative, this isn't a perfect crankset (aka 5/5) but great for what it is.

Purchased At:   Ebay, come on bike

Similar Products Used:   First external bottom bracket crankset, liking it so far

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007 Gary Fisher Paragon. Changing juicy 5's to shimano slx's

Submitted by michael573114 a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    No complaints, works fine

Weaknesses:    Got a few teeth that are a little bent, but that's normal wear & tear

Bottom Line:
There sure are a lot of bad reviews for this thing... I can't complain, it works, it's always worked, and I've been beating on it for nearly 5 years now. I've thrown the chain a few times, but I'm pretty sure that's just an adjustment issue (also I bet the rear deraileur hanger at one point).

That said, there's nothing really spectacular either. I can't say that it's washed my car, or made me a million dollars. But it does work as a crankset just fine.

Purchased At:   Cycle Dynamics, West

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Paragon, SRAM X.9 shifters & rear derail, Shimano XT front derail, SRAM chain

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Pacific City, Oregon U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    None to speak of.

Weaknesses:    Not reliable

Bottom Line:
It is too bad such a nice bike comes with such cheap, unreliable hardware. I am not an extreme rider and do most of my riding on fire roads with little to no drops. Within a couple months of riding these cranks the right arm broke right off! Left me walking home. I would like to see Trek unplug this partnership they have with this unworthy company and get better components. In the long run it is making there product credibility go down.

Purchased At:   With bike

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this bad

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 6 stock

Submitted by mtnbkmyk a Cross Country Rider from Dearborn, MI USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    fine at first - smooth shifting on the chainrings

Weaknesses:    fell apart

Bottom Line:
first year - no problems, second year when the cranks started creaking and I felt vibrations on the drive side, I took it in:  the right crank is permantly loose and cannot be repaired.  This is still warranteed but I don't want another one.  Switching to XT

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Similar Products Used:   race face deus

Bike Setup:   paragon - stock cranks

Submitted by zfuel from spain

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Strengths:    strong, pretty good finish, good chain change.I haven't had any trouble with the non-drive side arm, if start to get loose, you should notice it before

Weaknesses:    botton braket isn't too much smooth.

Bottom Line:
I think isis bb are smoother, at least deore crankset are. When you ride, they feel quite strong and secure, and the change between rings are good. They came with my bike, but i prefer shimano, or at least with non integrated bb

Favorite Trail:   just ride

Similar Products Used:   deore

Bike Setup:   fuel ex 7 2006

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Strengths:    When it was working it seemed to work well - clean shifts, stiff BB. Plenty of times I hit rocks thinking I would have lost a tooth but it was over all bulletproof...

Weaknesses:    The crank arm fell off on the non-drive side after only about eight rides. As it was my first season on a MTB I couldn't have been riding it very hard. It had been an unusually wet Spring in New Mexico so I did do several dozen stream crossings but that shouldn't have caused a problem like this, right?

It cleaned up and re-attached OK for about another couple dozen rides then became loose again and would no longer last for more than a few miles before needing to be tightened until eventually I didn't trust it at all.

Bottom Line:
I only got perhaps 400 miles out of it before giving up and having the entire crankset replaced while still under warranty. I'm hoping it was a fluke and that the replacement lasts much longer...

With the exception of the arm falling off it worked great (seriously) and I was very happy with it's performance. If the arm hadn't have fallen off I would be giving this a high overall rating and a "fair" value rating...

Purchased At:   Sportz Outdoor

Bike Setup:   07 Fisher Paragon - crankset came on it OE

Submitted by Mark from Orange County

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    It worked fine until it fell apart with less than 100 miles of riding. Makes a Great Paper weight though.

Weaknesses:    I bought it brand new. Came stock with the bike.
It fell apart. Only took it out to ride for about the 4th time ever. The crank arm on the non-sprocket side fell off. It was never even ridden that hard. Never abused. The damn thing just fell off. Tried reattaching it back on the trail. A few miles later, the The crank arm on the non-sprocket side fell off again. This time all the threads were ripped off with it. I could no longer reattach the arm because what was left of the threads wouldn't hold. It was so bad that I could tug the arm off with my bare hands. The crank was completely ruined on my 4th ride on the bike.

Bottom Line:
If you read other posts from other riders, I'm not the only person who has had this problem with Bontrager cranks. Apparently this is not one isolated incident.
This crank is total Crap. Save your money and go with a shimano. Unless you are some sort of massochist, don't even bother purchasing any bike that comes stock with this product.
I hope the executives at Bontrager read these reviews and hang their heads in shame for producing such an inferior product with an inferior design. It's not only an embarrassment, but a legal liability. They have lost a customer for life.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT. Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Fat Possm XT

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Holland, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    I guess it looked nice new.

Weaknesses:    It fell apart.

Bottom Line:
This bike is about a year and a half old, but I only ride is summer (Michigan). So, a few times a week I hit the trail for a couple of hours. The crank arm on the non-sprocket side fell off. Upon inspection I found that the threads holding it on were right handed making this inevitable with enough time and backlash from use. So, I pursued the torque spec, put it back on with thread locking compound, and it fell off this time taking the threads with it.

Bottom line, I have a lightly used $2000 bike that is falling apart because this is a lousy crank design. Avoid it if you can.

Favorite Trail:   Cannonburg State Game Area

Bike Setup:   Gary Fischer Paragon, new out of the box.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    Good Shifting, stiff

Weaknesses:    Heavy, finish wears off, dubious alignment of chainrings, shockingly weak Truvativ GXP BB.

Bottom Line:
Came fitted as stock on my Fuel EX8. First impressions were great - excellent shifting, good power transfer and no noticeable flex. After 50 miles the drive-side BB failed but was grudgingly replaced under warranty. After another 100 miles the drive side BB failed again. Given the 4 week turnaround last time I won't be claiming it under warranty again.

On closer inspection, it looks like the cranks could be to blame as the middle chainring isn't true - it bends toward the frame by about 2 - 3mm for a run of about 4 teeth close to the crankarm.

If I've managed to do this while riding (and I can't imagine how I could!) then the chainrings are horrifically soft. If it came like it from the factory then it's pretty poor quality control. Either way, I'm swapping it for a Shimano.

Similar Products Used:   FSA Afterburner, Shimano M440

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Trek Fuel EX8

Submitted by Kyle from PA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    GXP, stiff, shifts well

Weaknesses:    I would prefer all black chainrings, but whatever.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good crank. The external BB is nice and it has been stiff so far. About average weight for a crankset. I really like this crankset because so far it has been a "set it and forget it" type of relationship.

Purchased At:   Came on bike