Aerozine X-12 FX Crankset

• Crank Arm Material: forged al-6066T6
  • Chainring: Outer/3mm al-2014, Middle/3mm al-2014

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Canberra ACT

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, strength

Weaknesses:    Left crank arm bolts and centre lock nut

Bottom Line:
I have used these cranks scince they first came on the market about four years ago. The instructions I must admit were / are poor. These cranks are as good as xtr and at $149 a whole bunch cheaper. I only weigh in at 69kg and the left crank arm has come loose a few times if you go hard it will come loose if not fitted perfectly...it only has 1 bolt to tighten on the left crank arm.. RECOMMENDATION be super carefull fiting BB, buy yourself $10 worth of locktight...the stuff that LOCKS does not undo there are different types. Remove the cheap locktight from the factory / red or blue on centre bolt. Apply your locktight, screw in centre bolt first so it is super tight, I really mean crank it in there, then lastly scew in the crank arm bolt...take your time... I have done this with the last two sets and so far havn't come lose...if you are from the factory reading this, please manufacture with two left crank arm bolts...End comment buy a set the chain rings last, as good as xtr when fitted correctly and lighter. If you race hard core buy them, throw away the granny ring.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo Hill

Purchased At:   Phantom Cycles

Similar Products Used:   xtr, sram, xo, all the good gear

Bike Setup:   xc race, xc single speed, xc dual all with Aerozine x12 all <10kg bikes

Submitted by Glynn Preston a Cross Country Rider from Kettering

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Super light weight & amazing stiffness for nearly half the price of an XTR

Weaknesses:    I had gear slip from the off, so presuming this was a part worn chain & cassette I changed these, but to no avail.Eventually I changed the middle ring to a middleburn & everything is fine.
I recon I had done *5 rides* on this ring from new & it is now unuseable!
In addition the crank has relentlesly came loose, which I may now have cured with copious amounts of locktight!

Bottom Line:
Essentially a great crankset, but be prepaired to change the rings almost immediatly (still cheap even after replacing mid ring)

Purchased At:   Superstar components