Home | Reviews | Crankset | AC

AC LoPro XT Crankset

3.57/5 (21 Reviews)

Cold forged 7075 T-6 aluminum crank arms for strength and stiffness. Low "Q" use shorter lighter spindle. Removable spider engages on positive lock spline, allowing for directly mounting spiderless rings. Tapered spindle. Rings in 22/32/44T Lengths: 170, 175mm in Silver, Black, Red.

Submitted by specializedp.3 a Weekend Warrior from marysville, washington

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    looks.

Bottom Line:
these cranks are a waste of money i weigh 190 im 5foot 7inches first day i got them i was doing some riding in my yard doing some small jumps everything is fine, until the second day i ride it i take it to some local jumps and i go off this jump and the cranks twist and bend when i land. they are the worst cranks i have ever used do not get them!

Bike Setup:   04 specialized p.3

Submitted by Paul Crawford a Cross Country Rider from Vassalboro,ME,USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to install, very stiff, tough powedercoating, splined spider makes chainring exchanges a snap, lighter than average, clean threading, forged, somewhat obviously handmade.

Weaknesses:    I can't seem to find any.

Bottom Line:
Listen, I don't know what all the complaining is about. It seems all the complaining is coming from people who have installed these cranks themselves. I installed mine myself, on a new bottom bracket, using SRP bolts, as I do in everything (now I find I have to use Pro-Bolt of England to get nicely roll-threaded Ti bolts), after 3 years of working in a bike shop, so I trust my builds. My cranks don't flex, haven't made a sound, are exactly spaced on my frame, and have beautifully machined threading, so the pedal spindles just rolled right in on some grease. I am, in fact, in the process of ordering AC's carbon racing crank, which looks even more perfectly finished. If you want any crankset to install smoothly, have a professional do it, and if it broke because you cased it on a huge jump, don't whine, get heavier ones next time. At least you had the nerve to try the big jump you couldn't clear (a good rider lands with weight evenly distributed between mechanisms in the bike, so nothing makes a sound), don't brag to the manufacturer with your complaint that his/her parts can't handle big mean you. I broke some Cook Bros. RSR cranks, and you all are the first to hear it, because I landed a doubles on a BMX track all in the middle of the bike, and the crankarm said "G'BYE!" and sent me into the dirt. I bought some flite cranks, and didn't tell a soul. All I got for my pains and $190 for the Flites was "Hey! New cranks?" followed by the laughter that came with knowing I was still learning how to clear doubles on the back wheel enough to be silent and smooth. It's been 10 years, and I am into XC racing, and if I hadn't learned that stuff, I'd have a $4500 bike made for replacing parts on, not doing 35mph into doubles like the ones I thought I needed Cro-Mo crankarms for. I am giving the 5 flaming gobs of vegetable matter for these cranks, because something has to make up for "I broke them jumping off a curb", when you didn't grease your BB taper, and could pack your lunch between the crankarm and frame in the 9 and 3 position.

Favorite Trail:   Appalachian

Purchased At:   Online, Directly from AC

Similar Products Used:   Cook Bros. E-Cranks, SunTour XC-Pro, Shimano XT (old square taper model), Redline Flite Cro-Mo

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Beast of the East, King headset, Pauls brakes and levers, LP post, bars and barends, Hope stem, skewers, seat QR, White hubs, DT rims, SRAM X-0 shifters, rear derailleur, Sram X-Gen front derailleur, Nokon cables, Phil Ti square taper bottom bracket (about to be a Crank Bros Cobalt Ti ISIS)

Submitted by reek a Weekend Warrior from bmore

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2005

Strengths:    Look like XTR cranks, uses XTR BB

Weaknesses:    Functions worse than Alivio cranks, not worth 1/90th of what I paid.

Bottom Line:
Crap. Not worth your time. Are they even still in buisness? I just remember back when I bought them several years ago, within a month of continued loosening and the non-drive side not fitting well, I gave up on them. I also remember the "customer help" people being rude and pretty much useless. They did offer me a replacement for $70. Wow, what a nice bunch of jack@sses.

I'm pretty sure the owners and employees of AC can now be seen at the local soup kitchen, going up for seconds.

Purchased At:   Cambria bike retail store

Similar Products Used:   XTR M952, Race Face

Submitted by sebastian a Downhiller from postdam/germany

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    stiff as hell, light, great looks

Bottom Line:
maybe one of the best cranks you can get-and that's the bottom line

maybe there's only the xtr left that can beat this crank

Purchased At:   HIbike

Similar Products Used:   xtr crank

Bike Setup:   dual hardtail with downhill setup-lol

Submitted by Ricardo Brunato a Racer from São Francisco do Sul, Brazil

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good, Low Price, Low Weight.

Weaknesses:    Like the XTR crank, it is difficult to install. AC should sponsor a good XC / DH team in order to show it on MTB magazines.

Bottom Line:
I have used by 1,5 years a XTR but it was very weak, and its right crank arm broke. I decided to buy the AC, in order to use with my XTR BB, Spider and Chainrings. It was great, very stiff and strong. A reliable crankset for a 200 lbs rider. Lighter than XT, cheaper than XTR, stronger than XTR and you have the chance to purchase in parts, not like XTR that is sold only completed.Most people buys XTR crankset because dont know AC. I leave in Brazil and received it just 6 days after ordered (through FEDEX).

Favorite Trail:   South Brazil trails

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT and Specialized Strongarm

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, Rock Shox SID SL 2002, Full XTR, Mavic X517, Titec Titanium Handlebars, Thompson Elite Seatpost, Selle Italia SLR Saddles, Hutcinson Mosquito & Maxxis Minotaus tires.

Submitted by C. from Somerville

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    splined
somewhat inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Had initially the becoming loose problems some of the other people saw.

Bottom Line:
Like them.
Had to replaced the factory BB on my bike & pedals which broke. I like the univega consumer hybrid frame - inexpensive but quite nice - components that where on mine model weren't nice and didn't hold up except the derailleurs which actually hold up nicely. Anyway - bb and pedals gave up. Was looking for a really sturdy BB _ I'm slightly heavyish, tended to stay in the pedals a lot and am lazy about riding off curbs etc.. Liked the concept of those shimano splined and 4 bearing BB's. Thought with those i should be all set. Had to find new cranks then though. Found these AC at Cambria B.O. and thought I give it a shot. The price was right.
At first the crankarms came loose all the time. Became really annoying - happened in all kind of inopportune situations. At that point I was quite disappointed and at one point I became so upset that I tightened them as hard as I could. Thought I might brake the tool (not very solid one - one of those universal pocket tools) or strip the alluminum crankbolt - I didn't care anymore (except for my knuckles). I don't think I ever tightened a crankset so hard. Never went splined before - all tappered since then so I can't say whether or not that's unusual for splined. Tool bent quite a lot but nothing broke and from that point on they stayed on tight. That was a year and a half ago.
Would still recommend them/would do it again - they are stiff and hold up well (I use a UN950 BB - I like it a lot). They look different - I had people on the street asking about them and mentioning they like their looks (I do too). If you go for them - maybe you want to use a good crank tool though and maybe you don't want to be shy when bolting them on. That worked for me.

Favorite Trail:   streets

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Misc. tapered Shimano cranks - mostly inexpensive models.

Bike Setup:   consumer univega hybrid. Citybike.

Submitted by Neeek a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Good looks
Splined
Mine were very cheap!

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far..

Bottom Line:
A lot of people here have moaned about the cranks working loose. And I'll bet you all use M952 BBs... I've been in touch with Brad at AC after my LH crank wouldn't sit tight.
First of all, AC recommends using the M950 BB. The M952s sometimes have a slightly shorter axle (by 1mm or so), so the crank arm hits the BB collar and won't lock down enough. M950s are much safer bet, so get one of them!
I run an M952 116mm, and after talking to Brad about torque settings (30lb/ft max), I put them on and put some threadlock on the crank bolts, torqued them up to 30lb/ft and they haven't budged. Nor do they touch the BB collar (I guess I got lucky). Listen to AC, and use the M950 BB to avoid any problems. Then you should be fine.
For those wondering about the cheap price I paid, they're OE models off a GT Lobo (we think) and bought through CBO.
Bottom line - these cranks ARE good, but do your homework with the BB before you install. Again, best is M950 splined, 116mm axle length. Lots of chillies from me on this one!

Similar Products Used:   XTs, LXs, Suginos... nothing flashy

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee, Pace forks, Hope discs, Race Face stuff, XT/XTR

Submitted by -al's fatty- a Downhiller from 3R

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    MAYBE THE LOOKS, BUT THEY ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN XTR'S

Weaknesses:    THEY JUST DON'T WORK WORTH A S**T!

Bottom Line:
YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!! THE NEW OWNER OF AC WRITES IN BELOW AND GIVES HIS JUNK COMPANY 5 STARS. I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP!! WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS? WELL, HERE'S MY PROBLEM- I BOUGHT THESE CRANKS THINKING IT WOULD BE AN INEXPENSIVE SPLINED SETUP FOR FREERIDING. WRONG!! I HAVE TRIED FOR MONTHS TO GET THESE THINGS TO FIT RIGHT WITH ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK. NO MATTER HOW MUCH LOCTITE, NO MATTER HOW MANY SHIMS I USE, THESE THINGS WIGGLE AROUND LIKE A TOPLESS DANCER. YOU CAN ACTUALLY SLIDE THE DRIVE ARM ALL THE WAY ON BY HAND AND SNUG THE BOLT DOWN AND IT CAN BE WIGGLED BACK AND FORTH AND SIDE TO SIDE! AN XTR ARM WILL GET SNUG RIGHT WHEN YOU PUT IT ON AND YOU HAVE TO USE THE BOLT TO "PRESS" IT ON ALL THE WAY. I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THE GUYS AT AC ARE SMOKING CRACK AND NOT DOING QUALITY CONTROL. THIS IS A VERY POORLY MADE CRANKSET!!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE PILES OF DUNG, BUY XTR!!

Similar Products Used:   XTR DH/TRUVATIV/RACEFACE/KOOKA

Bike Setup:   YES......IT IS

Submitted by Brad Roberts a Weekend Warrior from New Owner, AC

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
It is unfortunate that this forum is used by some people to express their negative gripes about AC products in an unfair fashion. Though AC is under new managaement, we still deal with warranty issues from the past. The terms of our warranty are very clear and are specifically written with every product we sell. Our limited warranty does not generally cover bending or damage due to crashes.Of course, we deal with each case individually. Most of our product line is intended for racing performance and therefore as lightweight as possible for the application. Most of our customers are reasonable about damage caused by their own operation. Some customers expect new product no matter how bad the damage caused by their own operation. We are sorry we cannot afford to replace all the product damaged by riders, but as a small manufacturer, we hope we can get the support of our customer base for reasonable expectations on durabilty under crash circumstances. We intend to continue to provide superior products at affordable prices for our xcountry, downhill, and racing customers. thanks you for your understanding.

Favorite Trail:   The Playground Simi Valley CA

Purchased At:   Clarification

Submitted by DirtDad a Racer from Southern California

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness, compatibility

Weaknesses:    You gotta know what you are doing with it

Bottom Line:
I got an XTR grey colored set of these and bolted them to a set of XTR rings, but they came with a cool and unusual 58/110 spider that would allow you to run a very widely spaced set of gears. They are styled almost exactly like XTR arms, so the end result is like an XTR crankset with an AC logo, which features an American flag. Very cool.

It is odd that AC calls these DH arms, because this crankset weighs exactly the same as my XTR crankset, and it just as stiff and efficient. They are noticably lower profile than than the boxy XTRs, so all in all, I like these better.

Just a word regarding the loose arms mentioned below. I emailed AC. They were very responsive, by the way. It turns out that the two Shimano XTR splined BBs - the M950 and the M952, are slightly different. These arms work better with the M950, which I run, and everything has been great.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, XT, LX, Coda competition and expert

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Raven II

Submitted by tim walter a Downhiller from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
i bought these cranks in a panic when i decided to run a single chainring when i built up my new frame... i needed something with in a standard 5 arm size that would run a BB that would work with my mrp. my not so local lbs hooked me up with these for $100, plus all the other bits (bb, bolts, etc) bringing my total after tax to just under $200.

everything seemed fine for the test ride in my yard, but once i put them under some serious abuse, they fell apart. first off, they are really, really flexy. it was like minor shock absorption, which in certian aspects was kind of cool... but about an hour into my first ride the left arm loosened up and upon inspection the splines (or i guess the spline cavities on the crank) were a bit damaged. it seemed to fit back on with out much hassle - no contact problems, etc. from that point they continually loosened one both sides, and creaked noisily with every mash. after countless attempts at tightening, lock tight treatments, i gave up.

perhapse if you don't jump or thrash about on your bike they would work, but if you figure that cranks + xtr bb = around $150, you could spend just a few bucks more by grinding a shop for some raceface lp's and the xt bb. i got the previously mentioned set up for $180 after tax.

the way i see it, you can't afford not to go with raceface or like products.

Favorite Trail:   downhill singletrack

Bike Setup:   santa cruz chameleon, mrp slalom tensioner

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Strong
Cheap

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I got these caranks and the A.C. dh chainring for $100. They are super good cranks . I have some big rocks and they havent dented. They are great cranks for the money

Favorite Trail:   Wild Thing and Cowboy Up Keystone

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   Heckler, JR T., XTR, Azonic

Submitted by Patrick Strahm a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Strengths:    make good Coke cans once recycled

Weaknesses:    just about everything

Bottom Line:
Have to agree with Jason. AC is incompetent and doesn't care about its customers. I bought these cranks four months ago and put them on an XTR BB. After a summer of XC-riding the spider shattered into 3 pieces while cranking up a hill. I tried to contact AC by email but their mailbox is just a black hole in cyberspace. I went to my bike dealer, who sent them back. Result: 3 weeks waiting, no new spider, no new crank. My dealer asked about the damage on the exterior spline of the crank - AC's response: they've seen worse. My advice: spend your money somewhere else!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Topline cranks

Submitted by JASON a Racer from BATON ROUGE

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
LOOKS SOLID.
LIGHT.
NO CREAKS.
PRETTY GOOD LOOKING.

Weaknesses:
AC, FROM WHOM I BOUGHT THE CRANKS DIRECTLY FROM WERE COMPLETEY INCOMPETENT.

Bottom Line:
THE CRANK IS GREAT. DUE TO THE INCOMPETENT SHIPPING, SALES, AND TECH AT AC, I ALSO WONDER ABOUT THEIR ENGINEERS. THEY SENT IT UPS WHEN I ASKED THEM TO SHIP IT USPS. TOOK THEM ABOUT 2.5 WEEKS TO FIGURE THIS OUT AND ONLY AFTER I DOGGED THEM ABOUT IT. THEY MADE ME RUN AROUND TRACKING THE PACKAGE AND REFUSING TO GIVE ME A REFUND. WHEN I FOUND THE PACKAGE, WRONG SIZE AND COLOR. I TOLD THEM TO SEND ME ANOTHER SET WHILE I SENT THEM THE OTHER ONES BACK. THEY SAID THAT THEY COULD NOT SEND A NEW SET UNTIL THEY RECEIVED THE OLD ONES BACK. THE FINALLY SENT ME A NEW SET AND IT WAS LATER THAN WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. THEIR WEB PAGE SAID TO USE 107MM BOTTOM BRACKET. THE TECH GUY SAID TO USE 110MM. THE INSTRUCTIONS WITH THE CRANK SAID TO USE 117MM. I USED A 112.5 AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY. THE WOMAN THAT I WAS DEALING WITH WAS INCREDIBLY UNCOOPERATIVE. SHE BELIEVED THAT BECAUSE SHE SENT THE CRANKS TO MY PART OF THE COUNTRY, IT WAS RESPONSIBILITY TO FIND IT. WOULD NOT GIVE ME A REFUND WHEN I REFUSE TO GO RUN AROUND AND FIND THE CRANK. HAD TO FIND IT ON MY OWN BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT CREDIT WITH THAT 3RD RATE COMPANY. DO NOT BUY DIRECTLY FROM AC. THEY GET 1 FLAMING TURD FOR CAUSING ME SO ME GRIEF.

CLEAR SPRINGS

less than 1 month

SAMPSON
GRAFTON JOY STIX

AIRBORNE TI W/ 98 Z2

Submitted by PitchShifter a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1999

Strengths:
They are lighter then XTR, cheaper then XTR, are more interesting then XTR, have a replaceable spider like XTR, and use the awesome splined XTR bottom bracket, saving weight.

Weaknesses:
The red anodizing on the left crank arm wore bare after the first big mud ride, and they don't come in a wide enough variety of lengths.

Bottom Line:
These are perfectly excellent cranks. The only reason I'd ever get anything else is that they are kind of boring. With companies like Kooka doing their crazy anodizing and companies like Nytex making cranks out of carbon, the plain forged aluminum AC's are rather mundane. But if what you’re looking for is a best of the best stiff and light crank at a reasonable price, look no further. The XTR splined AC's work and they work well.Check out www.kalomtb.com for some excellent prices on these cranks.

Preston Railroad trail on Tiger Mountain

less than 1 month

Shimano and Raceface.

Mountain Cycle San Andreas with 6 travel rear and a 5 travel '99 Z-1 up front.