SRAM XX1 Component Group

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The Sram XX1 group is constructed with precision engineering to create a maximum-performance group like no other. This 1x11 drive offers an enormous cassette to be matched with 1 of 6 available chaining options to fine-tune your preference and riding styl

Submitted by Chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Quiet when new. Great shifts. No front derailleur to think about , hassle with or weigh you down. Never dropped a chain. 10 tooth rear cassette.

Weaknesses:    Aftermost of a full season. Maybe 100-150 hrs I have some noise related wear issues.

Bottom Line:
Unless you are a front pack racer or like to avoid hills this drivetrain works best with a 28 tooth ring up front. I did a lot of research on formulas to compare the ratios taking into consideration wheel size, crank arm length, and all the gear combinations. bottom line the 28 X 42 combo with 650B wheels is equivalent to your 26 inch wheel 24 X 34 for a lowest gear. If you do long climbs, steep technical climbs and you don't like walking don't even think about the 32 or 34 up front. You would lose half a gear with the 30 but why bother. The ten tooth at the back is what makes this way better than the new Shimano 11 speed. Basically your top gear is ten percent stiffer than an 11 tooth and this is what gives this system the range. Ive lost basically one gear from my 2X system with a 34 big ring. My issue for value is a combination of price and wear. I have not solved the noise issue but a new chain makes it worse so either the cassette or the front ring is causing the sound under harder pedalling. I am hoping it is the front ring. It is the only ring so it never gets a break and at 28 teeth it goes around and around a lot. The chain wear was measured at only 50% of normal wear tolerance for a nine speed, about 1/16th inch. If the rear cassette needs to be replaced thats MSRP at $400 plus $100 for the front and then the new chain at $60 would put you up to $600 with taxes. Thus a questionable value for about 6 and a half months of regular riding. I have loved the first six. Derailleur has been flawless.
Several hours of testing by a top mechanic and we are hoping it is the front ring which would put a chili back on for value..

Favorite Trail:   99'r, business time, Gooseberry

Duration Product Used:   6-7 months

Purchased At:   Fanatic

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Blackspire, shram

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner 650B with 140 rer travel and 150 Fox 34 front. XTR Brakes pedals Stan's ArchEX, Hans Damph,

Submitted by DeeZee a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2013

Strengths:    Shifting is phenomenal, quiet, easy to change the front chain ring if needed and looks sexy

Weaknesses:    You knew it was coming....price. Also not sold on this groupo for every type of bike.

Bottom Line:
Earlier in the year I decided to build a light HT for racing and the XX1 seemed perfect.....and it is! No dropped chains and shifts fast and crisp.

However I have a FS bike that I use for longer rides with more elevation / chunk. It has a 2x10 drive train. For this bike and the type of riding I do with it I am not sure if I should switch to 1x11. Sometimes on longer endurance rides you just need to shift into a higher gear and recover.

Favorite Trail:   Trabuco

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   SRAM XX0 2x10
SRAM XX0 1x1 (SS)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Highball

Submitted by Aljaz Anderle a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2013

Strengths:    Simplicity, silence, range, weight, looks

Weaknesses:    price, ratio choice

Bottom Line:
Preformance-wise there is nothing to comment. It is great. So reliable, strong and well designed. I use it on my 29 enduro bike, which I regularly take on long alpine tours, with hours of climbing. Therefore, my only option was to put a 28t up front. I can climb everything with it but it drains me a little faster than an old 2x10 I had used before. Rumours about the 44 rear cog option are hopefully about to come true. If I ride with friends, it is hard to maintain their pace because the bike just runs faster. A harder gear plus the 29...
I have bought a second chain, the kmc, which also works just fine. It is important to set the chain length precisely right, otherwise problems with shifting might ocurr, especially on full suspension bikes. The biggest benefit is quietness of the ride, no chain slapping, no chain falling off. The ground clearence is also much higher.

Similar Products Used:   Sram x9, sram x0

Bike Setup:   stock s works enduro 29

Submitted by CanmoreC

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2013

Strengths:    Simple design
Lite weight
Awesome looking cassette

Weaknesses:    Early in production
Expensive

Bottom Line:
Love the xx1 system! Its simple and easy to use (combined with the grip shifter). I have it on my giant trance x29er with a 32tooth front sprocket. I ride xc/technical xc/all mountain and it works just great. The last 5 years I have done a lot of road riding and I think this was good training for the xx1. Keeping your cadence and momentum up with the xx1 can be important.
Only gave it 4 chili's for value as I have had a small warranty issue with a broken part in the grip shift (fixed under warranty).
I do not miss the 2x10 or 3x10 systems at all.

Submitted by Professed

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    so simple and intuitive to use. works brilliantly when new and correctly set up. chain retention excellent when new.

Weaknesses:    chain length is critical - only cut chain when at maximum sag. performance of chain retention declines rapidly with wear

Bottom Line:
A truly brilliant addition to mountain biking. The range of gearing, whilst seemingly limited, is in reality not limited at all as shifting through the range is so simple, quick and intuitive. works just as well with grip shift as with trigger.

Very strong rear steel cassette. very strong and reliable chain and chain ring. fantastically stiff cranks.

Chain length is CRITICAL. too short and you will break locating screws (like I did). Too long and your chain will fall off. Chain retention is uneccesary except for very bad conditions and for when your front chain ring starts to wear. Mine is now 4 months old and has started to drop the chain in rough conditions without chain retention.

Quality of jockey wheels a bit suspect - I have broken two already and parts are very hard to source.

Excessive use of TORX head screws throughout the groupset is really annoying as the market is moving back to hex head. Stop using TORX screws please !!!

with some more refinement this drivetrain is likely to become the standard for MTB. I cant think of anything more you will need except for say touring where you need big ratios for long downhills on tarmac or tiny gears for massive and long climbs.

xx1 crank & chainring with a zee derailleur for a chainguideless 1x10 setup?

Hey, I'm running SS atm with an XX1 crankset and a Wolftooth chainring. I'd like to go 1x10 for the time being with a Zee derailleur/shifter, my original 32t XX1 chainring and a 11-36 casette. Without chainguide. Would that be a compatible combination?Read More »

XX1 and a Gates Belt drive?

I have an XX1 crank running as a SS setup. Does Gates make an XX1 compatible flywheel?Read More »

XX1 PF30 Crank Install Help

Hello everyone. I'm trying to install an xx1 crankset in a PF30 bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is in, but I'm having trouble sliding the crank spindle through the bearings. They are super tight, and it seems as though I'd have to bang the hell out of the crank to get the spindle through. I ... Read More »

XX1 36 - 42 jump?

I'm going to be buying an Ibis HDR and am debating between the XT and X01 groupsets. The places I ride are hilly, southern Oregon and Tahoe, so i need low gears which would be covered by a 30 or even 28t front chainring. The issue I'm getting hung up on is the large jump between the 42 and 36 re ... Read More »

xx1 on a fatty possible?

been riding xx1's on my skinny tire bikes, i wonder, what would it take to modify an xx1 for fatty use? would it be worth it?Read More »