SRAM 9.0 Component Group

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

Durability is assured thanks to high-quality materials and a perfect finish. We've added a new lightweight, compact hydraulic disc brake system, as well as a trigger shifter.

Submitted by vt29er a Cross Country Rider from VT.

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    great alternative to XT. Wel thought out design. Not shimano

Weaknesses:    shifters are the wekest link. I have about 3 years on this stuff and the shifters feel great when new but after 2 seasons the springs on the front feels week ( lever doesn't return to starting spot) and the rear is getting harder to shift into biggest ring on cassette.

Bottom Line:
Great alternative to shimano. superb fr. & Rr. der. Shifters for me have not stood the test of time as well as shimano has.

Favorite Trail:   STAB

Purchased At:   various

Similar Products Used:   xt,xtr

Bike Setup:   salsa big mama

Submitted by nickdiore a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    cost, simplicity of design, easy installation, accurate no-hassle shifting

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this stuff is unbelievably easy to install, after a few minor adjustments it's ready to go. I'm very impressed so far, granted it's only been a few days. If it falls apart or something I'll write again to express my disgust. I recommend highly.

Favorite Trail:   anything longer than 2 miles

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   deore lx

Bike Setup:   cheap trek frame with raceface stuff, tora 318, bb7s, x9 component group

Submitted by Hipolito Arizaleta a Cross Country Rider from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    Sharp moves, nice design,good price.

Weaknesses:    No spare parts avaliable in Mexico City

Bottom Line:
This things are great, they really works every time without trouble, I´ll never buy shimano again.........

Favorite Trail:   Desierto de los Leones

Purchased At:   Bicipingos

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Merida Transmision Race Disc, Hayes disc Brakes, Manitou Minute

Submitted by Christian a Weekend Warrior from Graz, Austria

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2004

Strengths:    it works without adjustements before every ride

Weaknesses:    i have a bent lever on my front trigger - seems to be a manufacturing error

Bottom Line:
I shifted with Shimano since I got my first bike in the early nineties. I hated to adjust it after allmost every second ride but I saw no alternative. Then the Rohloff Speedhub got my attention and I wanted it on my new bike. Bought it, had it for about 2 month, and simply hated it! It is heavy (ok, I don't really care about that) it missed shifts sometimes and it sucked the last power out of my legs because of it's friction. Then I bought the X9 with the triggers and I can't be happier with any Drivetrain! I adjusted the whole system only once, and it still works....and it works.... and it works.

And I think this designs make it work so well: direct cable routing, strong spring in the rear derailleur which makes ghost shifting a lot less of a problem, 1:1 ratio, triggers (as good as the old rapid fire - and much better than the new Shimano defective designs)

Be sure to select SRAM if you want to ride!

Favorite Trail:   Schöckl

Purchased At:   Sport Gruber

Similar Products Used:   Deore, LX, XT, Rohloff

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS-X, Mavic D3.1, Hope Mono M4, Sherman Breakout, SRAM X9 with Triggers

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Strengths:    Smooooooth shifting.
Not shimano.
Able to use grip shifters that work

Weaknesses:    Cage will snap easily if tangled in brush.
I do miss the barrel adjuster

Bottom Line:
Great shifting with no missed shifts. Shifters have smooth feel. Easy to set up and maintain adjustment. Nice. I used to have to adjust my XT setup almost every ride. Its light and it works. Finally, shimano isn't telling me what I can and cannot use on MY bike.

Favorite Trail:   Northside Trail

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown carbon URT full suspension

Submitted by Keith Koenig a Cross Country Rider from Grote Brogel, Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts better than The shimano Products I've used, period.

Weaknesses:    MUD! and wet conditions. The jockey wheel design sucks! Why? The design allows mud/grit/grime/dirt into the bearing surfaces and they wear out unbelievably fast. Sometimes in a really muddy ride, after one ride! Yikes!

Bottom Line:
For the 3 years I rode Wyo I used Sram 9.0. The components worked great. No missed shifts, jockey wheels lasted forever. Never had a problem. Riding in Wyo is normally very dry.

I moved Belguim and also bought a Fuel 90 (great bike) and switched to Sram even before it left the shop. Big Mistake! I've since went back to Shimano XT! The Sram jockey wheel design doesn't hold up to the wet/muddy conditions here. In one season (Oct-Mar), I've replaced them three times. My old Sram 9.0, the one I used in Wyo and for one season in Belgium, used the Shimano style wheels. I never changed those but every year or so, even during the season I used it here in Belgium.

Bottomline? If you ride in muddy conditions,DON'T use Sram! The Jockey wheels won't last 100 miles! In a dry climate? Use the Sram, it will out shift the Shimano stuff all day!

Favorite Trail:   HQ Trail, Wyo

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Alivio, LX, XT ect...

Bike Setup:   Started on a Diamaondback Zetec and when I moved to a Fuel 90, I also switched to Sram since I've had good luck with Sram.

Submitted by Andre a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    solid and precise shifting. lightweight components. great styling. able to shift to an exact gear, anywhere in the range, even under heavy pedaling load. sweet price. pure vanilla.

Weaknesses:    shifter does not work well with my deore front derailleur.

Bottom Line:
took my 9.0 for it's first spin today, and straight from the shop it did what it was suppossed to do... shift flawlessly. am not going back to the shop for any adjustments or tuning, something i am not used to doing after a first ride.

can compare the 9.0's to the old suntour xc comp and xc pro's... and to me that's a compliment. shimano should keep their eyes on this company.

proud to be powered by sram. :)

Purchased At:   Power Bikes

Similar Products Used:   alivio gruppo, deore gruppo, ultegra gruppo, suntour xc comp and suntour xc pro (back in the day)

Bike Setup:   xtc, 2001 z3 qr20 bomber, 9.0 gruppo, deore front derailleur, sun rhynolite rims, nokian nbx 2.1's

Submitted by Justin Pokrivka a Racer from Natrona, PA USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, crisp reliable shifting in all conditions, not Shimano

Weaknesses:    Took a little time getting used to grift shifters again

Bottom Line:
Before using I was a little nervous. But after using for a few weeks I couldn't believe the difference. This drive train is better than anything Shimano makes. I never experienced any ghost shifting or missed shifts. I really liked the 28 to 34 jump for the last gear. This stuff rocks Shimano's days days are number agianst SRAM. Plus I think it's made in USA.

Favorite Trail:   all