Shimano SLX Dyna-Sys CN-HG74 Chain - 10-Speed Component Group

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Shimano designed the SLX Dyna-Sys CN-HG74 10-speed chain to match perfectly with its new 10-speed mountain drivetrain. This narrow chain shifts more smoothly than chains designed for 9-speed systems because of the tighter spacing on the 10-speed cassette.

Submitted by Eli

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    quiet, buttery smooth shifts even with load.

Weaknesses:    after about 600 miles it broke.

Bottom Line:
If this chain is specific to the Shimano Dyna sys drive train...... it shifts better than anything I have ever used. Better than my Sram force on my road bike but shifting 1/10th of a second faster isn't going to win any races! I have not used anything else with my XT 771 set-up. The hg-74 chain came with the bike. I have ridden this chain for about 600 of the gnarliest dry, dusty, technical rocky, high load bearing trails the Tucson AZ area has to offer. Most riders think I hike-a-bike the trails I talk about ( I DO ride them). Last week it broke, I removed the bad link on the trail, re-installed the chain (backwards, oops) and kept on going I never once noticed a difference in shifting performance!!! I have never broken a chain in my life I have over 3000 miles on my KMC dx10sc (road bike) and 2500 on my Izumi gold track chain. I will most likely buy another KMC for $25 because the price for this hg-x chain is just too high.
still rocking the chain until it breaks again.

Favorite Trail:   Starr Pass