Shimano 2000 Alivio Component Group

3.25/5 (16 Reviews)

Upgraded to 8-speeds this year, Alivio™ offers REAL MTB performance, elegant styling and it's totally affordable. 8-speed RAPIDFIRE® shifting with an optical gear display provides confident, quick action shifts. The powerful new V-brake has two power adjustments and M-system all weather pads. The 4-arm crank is more rigid with a bolder look. And the chain drop protector cuts down time, boosts fun time.

Submitted by kavevey a Cross Country Rider from Vevey

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Still running, all condition except of snow (which i didn't try). Price, Braking V-system excellent without any showoff.

Weaknesses:    People say it is heavy & has ONLY 24 gears. So WHAT!!!?? Now days professional riding single speed or 1-2 plate in front so what the big deal. Yes you can be correct saying that changing front to bigger chain wheel demand loooong action.

Bottom Line:
The most important is to find the time to ride, so work less and buy cheap but enjoy life. The important is not which kind of bike or component you have but what are you doing with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Combination of fire forest roads.

Purchased At:   Came on my Hardrock

Similar Products Used:   On my Seven Terese i have full XTR and Hope mini with X-fly 100mm fork. the only difference is in unlimited fire roads descent but all the rest i dont enjoy it more, except the people who are gazing at my Terese.

Bike Setup:   Alex DM20 with W505, Z-Max 1.9 rear & Z-Max pro 2.1 front. For Judy TT (I know i have ordered a new fork just for the pleasure to realize the bike performance with a stiffer fort-which is the only thing i miss comparing the X-fly i am using on my Teres).

Submitted by Raymund Alova a Cross Country Rider from Iloilo City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    Value for money, mid-range level performance at an affordable price. 8-speed. Brake levers are distinctly separate from shifters which is a plus, gives it a more "high end" look as that of Shimano Deore and other high end components.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side. Could have been designed with a more stylish look

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended for entry-level bikers. Good value and performance for those not yet so sure if spending so much will give much in return for satisfaction and long-term interest in biking. Not as low-end but can be comparable to other mid-range value components.

Favorite Trail:   any on Guimaras Island

Purchased At:   Gea's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None so far...

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 1000 frame, RST Gila Pro TnL fork, Alivio group set, Ameoba Handle bar, Velo Plush saddle. AlexRims DC19 wtih Kenda Koyote tyres.

Submitted by Kevin Ebaugh a Weekend Warrior from Glastonbury

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    They work very well for a little while, that is until they are mangled. Ahh heres the deal: So I was riding alongon leaves and the occasional stick. Mr. Occasional stick was thrown up by my front tire into my chain. Now most of the stick broke off when it reached the cogs. Its all good, right? WELL NO ITS NOT!! A little teeny weeny piece of Mr. Occasional Stick stayed in my chain. I listened on as my derallieur, cogs, and chain mangled before my very eyes.

Weaknesses:    Uhh lets see, everything.

Bottom Line:
Run very very far away from anything with Alivio marked on them. Go for some SRAMs...

Favorite Trail:   Shenipsit

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   SRAMs- Ahhh- good stuff.

Submitted by brando clark from Salt Lake, Utah USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Strengths:    The rear derail is heavy and strong. The V-brake calipers are heavy and strong. OK it is ALL heavy and strong. The police department I work at has all Alivio on their GTs.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
There seem to be many negative opinions on Shimano products in general and the lower-end stuff in particular. The way I see it you generally get what you pay for (although I do not see much difference between LX and XT). I have mostly used shimano in my 20+ years of balancing on 2 wheels. I am not a pro, but I do enjoy all types of cycling.

Alivio are great components, but if you desire lighter parts then please pay more. The shifters are smooth and accurate. The rear derail will not fail you nor will this brake calipers. I am hard on everything I own and I have never had the enjoyment of breaking any bike part on a trail. My biggest problem is getting flats every damn ride. I think that someone buying a bike on a budget would appreciate the components as they are relatively excellent.

If you are extremly particular about your bike...why are you reading the reviews about this product? Go and ride your XTR equipped bikes and let the poor people have their fun too. So what if you ride weighs 10% more than a person who spent 300% more than you. Your legs will be stronger from the weight resistance.

Favorite Trail:   Mill D north fork to Millcreek

Purchased At:   Pederson's

Similar Products Used:   SIS (ha ha) STX, DX, LX, XTR and a Suntour setup.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 2.0 aluminum frame. Originally had Suntour-Shimano hybrid setup. I sacked the junky suntour front derail for a LX, and sacked all of my Alivio (except shifters and brake levers) for Deore XT.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, and the gear indicator is very clear

Weaknesses:    The cranks were shot after about 3 months of riding, shifting SUCKS, brakes are brakes.

Bottom Line:
There is no way anybody could want to buy this as a group. If you are buying a bike with this group on it, make sure you are getting one helluva deal, so that you can afford to upgrade EVERYTHING while saving money. Rather, just spend the extra money, get a slightly better bike (read, LX) and get it under your warranty. I have to adjust my derailleurs every ride and it still doesn't shift. My rear won't go into the smallest cog, and don't even think about changing front rings without a commitment. If your commuting or something, I'd buy a bike with this group, and then make it a single speed. Giving it as few chilis as possible, so people don't buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Greenhill Park, Worcester

Purchased At:   came complete, at Dakota Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   nothing is this bad.

Bike Setup:   nearly stock Giant EB Comp. BIG mistake.

Submitted by Jesse a Weekend Warrior from Chicagoland

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Strengths:    Cost

Weaknesses:    front derailleur upshifts, weight

Bottom Line:
Downshifts ok... but a little too slow for that unexpected switchback on an unfamiliar trail, which pissed me off three or four times in my first ride alone... Upshifts like there's supposed to be a clutch and your not using it. I s'pose you get what you pay for, and I intended to replace this stuff when I bought the bike, so I'm not that upset.

Favorite Trail:   the ones that make me biff

Bike Setup:   stock Giant Rainier SE w/ bar ends

Submitted by squishy lamano a Cross Country Rider from the Valley of the Sun

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Strengths:    It's been durable.

Hasn't needed repair or replacement.

It's not a 9.

Weaknesses:    The shifters. See below.

Some people notice the weight. The crankset, for example, weighs as much as two RaceFace cranksets!

Bottom Line:
I got this group without having much of a choice. It's getting a little harder to find good bikes that are spec'd with 8-speed. Since off-roading requires the most durability, there's no way I'm going to get a fragile and weak 9-speed. They can save the 9's, 10's and, yes, 14's for road bikes.

After about 3-4 months, it's been functioning as good as my old XT/XTR 8-speed from several years ago. All it's needed is a little fine tuning now and then. I haven't yet experienced any bent chainrings or broken cog-teeth.

As for the shifters -- I've had all types and I prefer a grip-twister. After an extensive search, I only found a few low-end bikes that came with it. I'll have to install them myself later.

Favorite Trail:   The loneliest, most desolate trail with masochistic uphills would be my favorite.

Similar Products Used:   The new Alivio was very similar to the old XT-8

Bike Setup:   My companion is a lusty 6500. I'm still drooling.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Buxton ND

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Strengths:    Strong,hard to tear up

Weaknesses:    Weight and reputation

Bottom Line:
This group rocks.Nothing is more durable than Alivio.It sure adds a pound or 2 to the bike but its well worth it.Dollar for dollar this is the best buy.Also,you don't have to worry about all of that 9 speed griping and whinning either.If you want the benifits of XTR weight,get XTR.If you want something you can depend on everyday,this is what you want.

Favorite Trail:   Silver Peak

Similar Products Used:   Stx,Lx Grip shift

Bike Setup:   KHS team frame with Alivio drive and Judy T2 fork

Submitted by John Short a Cross Country Rider from 64 Provider Circle Pope AFB NC 28307

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Typical Shimano smoothness, dependability and affordability. The shifting is dead on, crisp and clean, even out of the saddle shifts are excellent and spot on!

Weaknesses:    Haven't come across any yet. (Don't think I'll be re-writing this either)

Bottom Line:
If bike riding is what you love, add in a little TLC to your equipment and Shimano will make sure you get what you want; plenty of enjoyable miles on man's greatest transportation invention, the bicycle! Where else can you not only view the beauty of our suroundings, but actually experience this beuty!

Favorite Trail:   I am a commuter

Similar Products Used:   Groups on either side of Alivio and all have been excellent. Of course, if you want XTR and can only afford AceraX, don't expect XTR, but for the money and with good care and cleaning/lube, all Shimano components perform well!

Bike Setup:   I replaced a mix of lower end shimano stuff on a Trek 720 Hybrid with all Alivio, put slicks on it and it is a great commuter/tourer. I have ridden a few thousand miles on the bike and have not been disappointed once. I have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway, many centuries and have passed and been passed by alot of bikes.

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Strengths:    Cost and dependability. 8 speed with a 9 speed compatable rear hub.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
A good, solid and dependable grouping in this class of components. Don't complain if you are a hard core diehard or a weekend racer as this is not the group for you. Most of the components are much better than the STX-RC and LX stuff I had just a few years ago. Performs flawlessly but wish Shimano would shave some of the weight off the crank.

Favorite Trail:   various single track and fire trail

Similar Products Used:   LX, STX-RC, older Alivio

Bike Setup:   2000 Yukon hardtail with M515 clipless

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from West Union IA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2000

Strengths:    Very good system for the money had to upgrade the hubs to STX-RC (NICE!!) haven't tryed it with front derailer. much lighter & more durable than recent system.

Weaknesses:    cheap. Some of the components may need upgrading (chain, hubs, freewheel)

Bottom Line:
Nice system for the money that's why I give it 5 Flamin Tomales for value it does have some weak spots though you really shouldn't buy if you are expecting XTR quality or performance.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Atlus

Bike Setup:   '98 Schwinn Mesa RS Jett Alivio, STX-RC, LX, Nashbar Carbon Fiber clipless pedals......

Submitted by Eugene Teo a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Strengths:    Very affordable medium performance parts. Cheapest 8-speed drivetrain around. 9-speed compatible rear hub.

Weaknesses:    BB set & chains that sucks and won't last long. Ugly looking, Acera derailleurs looks so much better. Front derailleur difficult to align properly. Some bending was necessary to solve the problem.

Bottom Line:
Affordable performance parts but change the BB set & Chains for extended durability. Some tweaking necessary for front derailleur. May I suggest LX BB set(UN-52) & Chains(IG-30) as the closest replacement.

Favorite Trail:   Local trails

Similar Products Used:   Acera, LX & XT.

Bike Setup:   RockShox Jett T2, Alumminium Alloy FS frame, Full Alivio Groupset except for BB, Chains & Cassette, Downhill Handlebar & Specialized Team Tyres.

Submitted by Damon a Cross-Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
cheap

Weaknesses:
cheap

Bottom Line:
this component line came standard on my old land gear 8400. it was never made for serious off-road use. after about 3 months of serious riding the crank rings started showing signs of wear(i.e. teeth bending/wearing completely off, etc...). the rear derailleur was ok but the front would not shift under any sort of pressure causing me to snap my chain once(that really sucked). if alivio components come on your bike, use them until they break(which shouldn't take too long). it will give you an excuse to upgrade to XTR(NICE!!).

2 Years

LX, XT, XTR

land gear 8400

Submitted by Olen a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Pain in the rear, worst shifter on the planet.

Bottom Line:
This thing is a piece of crap! The bottom of the line Shimano on my first bike shifted better than this thing! Moving up to the LX is the best thing I ever did.

All of them

3 months

Shimano LX, Shimano Altus

'98 Rockhopper FS, Manitou Spyder, XT/LX/XTR

Submitted by Sonny a Weekend Warrior from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I like 'em. The rear derailleur shifts great and hasn't given me any problems. The front, however, needs a lot of tweaking and it still isn't that good. You have to hold the lever in a little bit to get the chain to grab on to the next larger cog...which sux. Shifting to a smaller cog gives no problems, though. The shifters work really well, too...it's just that crappy front derailleur....'cause of that I'll give it 4 burnin' tamales.

3 months