Shimano 1999 Dura Ace Component Group

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

SHIMANO DURA ACE

Submitted by Arjen a Racer from Leiden "Netherlands"

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2003

Strengths:    The Sealing of bearings, lightweight, durable.

Weaknesses:    expansive

Bottom Line:
The Sealing of the bearings is just perfect, verry lightweight, durable even when riding in winter conditions. Stiff crancks. superb shifting
The new Shimano SPD-SL works are also fantastic!!

Bike Setup:   Fully Dura Ace, Mavic Ksyrium SSC

Submitted by Tommy Nance a Racer from Frankfort Ky

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    Light Stiff Good looking

Weaknesses:    $$$$$$

Bottom Line:
I have used this Ace-ace all winter and the shifting is perfect. I have never had eny problems with the shifting locking up, on Dura-Ace or 105.I have never had campy so I cant say it is better or worse.

Similar Products Used:   105

Bike Setup:   Lomond Dura-Ace With CaneCreek Wheels

Submitted by Gregory a Weekend Warrior from Nanuet, N.Y. USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, somewhat ease of adjustability. Nice crank finish and strong brakes. Ready availability of parts.

Weaknesses:    I am wholly unimpressed with the 2000 Dura Ace group. The shifters are pretty annoying. The small downshift lever sticks out past the side of the brake lever and is the annoying as hell on fast descents on the drops. It should be flush with the lever. Poor Q/A or design. Shifting is somewhat clunky. Setup is still easy though-typical shimano;easy to setup and adjust. Bottom Bracket design sucks!!! I cannot believe that Shimano went back to an adjusting cup and lockring. What were they thinking? Greasing the bearings again too? I wish I had considered the Campy Record sometimes, but you cannot beat the parts availability and price of Shimano. It is still the best value. I guess I expected near perfection from their top line gruppo. My 96' 600 Ultegra shifted smoother. Maybe I should have opted for the new Ultegra instead?

Bottom Line:
Still the best value for the money but dissapointed with overall lack of polish for group as a whole. Bottom Bracket is a butch set-up. Smooth w/ two sets of bearings for each cup but in the 21st Century do you really want to be adjusting a bottom bracket and greasing bearing like they did in the 60's through the 80's?

Purchased At:   with bike purchase.

Similar Products Used:   96' 600 Ultegra

Bike Setup:   2000 mid-year Cannondale R-3000 w/ Mavic Kysirium's, Full Dura Ace gruppo.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2000

Strengths:    light
cheaper than Record
durable
shifts and brakes very well

Weaknesses:    doesn't have the looks of Record

Bottom Line:
No complaints. I perfer the Shimano levers to Campy levers. It's the best drivetrain for the price.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105

Bike Setup:   '99 GT ZR-1000

Submitted by Ken Liao a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
Smooth, quick shifting
Relatively light

Weaknesses:
EXPENSIVE!

Bottom Line:
Very nice groupo. Very fast, accurate shifting with smooth action. I still prefer the Campy Ergo system for sprinting. While it's easier to use the STI for most situations, it's slightly disconcerting to have a slight release in handlebar grip to reach the levers for a quick shirt. With the Ergopower setup, my thumbs almost naturally rest on the ears when I'm in the drops, making shifts much easier. Other than this minor point, it's fine system.

less than 1 month

Campy Chorus (9 spd)

IF Crown Jewel -- full DA setup except for Cane Creek BRS SL200 calipers

Submitted by Ken Sasaki a Cross-Country Rider from Riverside, Ca.

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
Very reliable over time. Along with the Shimano 600 series of components, the most consistently high quality of any road group over the last fifteen years.

Weaknesses:
Apparent availability of small parts, though I say this as a matter of reputation, since I have not had cause to order such myself.

Bottom Line:
I have run the original Dura Ace group on my first serious road bike since the 1970's and it still works, though in 1992, I started riding primarily on a new bike. The new bike uses a Dura Ace rear deraileur which I have crashed on several times. It still works fine. If a group lasts for more then fifteen years, thats about all you can expect.

more than 3 years

Campy and Suntour.

Submitted by Mike B a Weekend Warrior from Ireland

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1999

Strengths:
The lightest road group available. Very smooth shifting, stiff forged cranks, good brake modulation and very easy to set up. Gears and brakes can be adjusted on the road without tools if this was ever needed. Excellent long (27cm) seatpost suitable for use with compact frames. Did I say light?

Weaknesses:
The bottom bracket started to creak after 500 miles, this seems to be a common problem with the Dura Ace model. It might be better to get the cartridge version which comes with the Ultegra group.

Bottom Line:
Light, strong and smooth. Far better value than Campagnolo in my opinion.

6 months

1992 Chorus groupset, and 1998 Shimano XT MTB group. Dura Ace has been the best group I've owned or tried.

7020 Alloy frame with Kinesis fork.