Shimano 1996 XTR Grouppo Component Group

4.57/5 (125 Reviews)

Shimano XTR Grouppo

Submitted by Philipp Haerta a Downhiller from Berlin, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Super Design! It Works OK. It's old.

Weaknesses:    Looks immortal but i damaged it!

Bottom Line:
Its 7 Years ago since my first posting. :-)

Purchased At:   1998

Similar Products Used:   SRAM ESP 9.0

Bike Setup:   Chaka Al600 Frame, Votec GS4 Fork, Magura HS44 Gustav M & HS33 Race Line Brakes, ESP 9.0, Race Face...

Submitted by Robertani a Cross Country Rider from Canberra

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Strengths:    Light Good Hubs, Smooth Shifting

Weaknesses:    Brakes develop slop, cranks wear out

Bottom Line:
O.K Im reviewing the original 96 groupo here- a bit of a waste of time I guess but you can still buy some of the components. An interesting obsevation: the original components had the designation M-950. Now every component except the hubs has been remodeled- i.e the new brakes are M-951. Guess what- on my bike the hubs are the only component which have lasted. Shimano basically released a crap component group in 96 but has changed it over the years and I guess the group as it stands in 2000 might be O.K. I bought the hype in 96. My biggest beef was with the bottom bracket/crank interface- the pawls on the M-950 bottom bracket were tiny and only went half way into the spline of the crank- the spline eventually wore out and now Im riding with race face. The front derailler sheared off, the brakes are way sloppy (new ones have beefier linkage), the front shifter broke- it has plastic inside and plastic pawls on the indents, and the rear deralleier developed side play- the new one has a different bushing at the dropout mount.

Bottom Line: If you have lotsa money XTR is O.K as you can buy a new set when it wears out, and initially it does function like a dream- I guess the 2000 line up might also be more durable than the 96. But as this catergory is for the 96 group then my rating is-

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   STX, XT, Race face

Bike Setup:   play Bike: ATX 990 Full suspension 96 XTR Z1. race bike ATX 890 hayes, SX-R

Submitted by G-man a Weekend Warrior from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Durable
Low maintenence

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. The best shifting, hands down, shifts with the front der climbing! Best V-Brakes, levers are smooth, brakes have bearings not bushings...

Favorite Trail:   Lost Lake, Vail CO

Similar Products Used:   XTR 8Spd, XT & LX 9Spd, Bontrager Race Lite, Icon Sterling

Bike Setup:   Full XTR Groupo, Steel frame, Sid, Ceramic Rims

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Strengths:    nice brakes and levers

Weaknesses:    9-speed drivetrain -- weak chain, more positions that rub, clogs more easily.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that 9-speed sucks. I'm snapping chains left and right, I have more gear combinations where the chain is rubbing the front derailleur, and the drivetrain clogs up more often in muddy conditions. How is this supposed to be "better" for us riders? Sure, shifting is smooth, but what good is that if other parts of the drive train are rubbing and snapping?

On the positive side, I really like the brakes and levers. That and the fact that I was able to get a good group price swayed me to buy the XTR grouppo. In hindsight, I really wish I had listened to the other negative reviews and gone with a non-Shimano for my drivetrain.

And in case you think that we'll see the end of this stupid behavior on Shimano's part, think again. According to the Dec99 issue of "Dirt Rag", Shimano has been awared two patents for a 14-speed (!!) drive train. The patent numbers are 5954604 and 5921881, and you can read them at http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/srchnum.htm (the US Patent Office search engine).

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT 7-speed, Shimano XT 8-speed, Suntour 7-speed

Bike Setup:   Moots YBBeat

Submitted by TJW a Racer from Mpls MN

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Strengths:
Stiffness of cranks, rings
Shifting performance
Light
Durability
Wide range of gears

Weaknesses:
Interchange of non group parts is difficult and effects performance
Chain wears quickly in 9 sp setup
Expensive upgrade as a system

Bottom Line:
I have raced with many groups and set ups over the last 2 decades. The XTR groupset is the best shifting performance available. I have used the 9 sp system for the last 6 months and I am pleased with every aspect of performance. The drive system demands to be cleaned and lubed often - after every muddy or dusty condition ride/race. I disagree with the idea that the XTR is an expensive casual group. The XTR is an expensive race bred system. It's broad based popularity is a reflection of the willingness of off road fanatics of any skill level to pay for high performance stuff - go for it. If you are looking for the best shifting race group and price is not an issue, the XTR fits the bill.

Many

XTR shift group
Avid brake/Lever

Submitted by Lee Lau a Racer from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1999

Strengths:
- Mega Range allows you to not shift off the middle ring for inordinate amount of time
- light weight
- good resale value

Weaknesses:
- Subsceptibility of chain to breakage when torquing under load
- Mis-shifts in muddy conditions
- Quick chain wear
- Tendency for chain to slip from middle to granny when bike is jarred or portaged.

Bottom Line:
Review is for 1999 XTR Mega Range drivetrain. Chain rings are Race Face 9 speed.Experiences are for racing Snr Expert in BC Cup and local BC races in Pacific NW. Shared experiences with some training partners racing Mens and Womens Expert and Pro.Part of my frustration is the countless - oh but 9 speed is great without stating under what conditions 9 speed is used. I'm reluctant to say Expert rider, ride harder, faster and longer than the rest of you and in mud blah, blah but, generally, for myself and many of my racing mates - that is the truth relative to the majority of posters.Most tests are conducted in relatively friendly climatic conditions and I suspect that these conditions lend themselves to good gear performance. Moreover, most tests are designed for the mean/average rider. Performance is acceptable and would merit 3 stars. However, given the price of the group, downgrade to 2 stars

Various

1 Year

1998 XT
1998 Grip Shift SRAM ESP 9.0, 1997 XT, 1997 LX

Norco Team Issue - OEM with XTR Mega Range 9 speed drivetrain except for Race Face chainrings

Submitted by Knute Aberhanson a Cross-Country Rider from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, the new MEGA 9 works pretty well, I like the gray metal color... cool

Weaknesses:
Doesn't shift quite as well as last years XTR due to the WIDE range (and only one availible) 12-34 rear cogset.I like compact gearing, I wish they had that option...Make sure youo get the SGS (long cage) rear deraileur if you want to be able to cross chain the gears or you will accedentally rip your der. off!

Bottom Line:
This new XTR MEGA 9 spd works OK but not as well as the standard set up like last years XTR. Why does Shimano think you need this wide range of gear ratios? I would put this gearing on an XT (more recreational) equipt bike. I NEVER use the 24 chainring with the 34 rear cog. (Not even in Moab on the slick rock trail) I just ordered a 5 arm spyder conversion and race face chainrings (32T and 44T) and I'm going to run, yes, only two chainrings up front. My buddy has been doing this for quite some time and the gearing is sufficiant for anything we ride... and yes we have STEEP and LONG hills around here too. Everything else is typical XTR... NICE! Great grouppo BUT stupid (no choice in the matter) gear ratios, so only 4 burnning turds...

I'm not telling!

3 months

'98 XTR, XT, race face (good stuff too)

Ventana Fuego, full new XTR MEGA 9, '99 SID

Submitted by Jon Hewitt a Racer from Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1999

Strengths:
Most functional group of parts

Weaknesses:
Cost

Bottom Line:
If you read Shimano total information you would find their very logical explination to why Shimano XTR is not really compatible with everything else and that is that the XTR parts are made to work with nothing else but themselves. Basically those of you who want to complain about it feel free to but if maintained even a bit this group is the best one.

Numeral Rock

2 Years

SRAM, LX, XT, Alivio!! (What I'm trying to say is pretty much everything.)

Trek 8000SL Crosslink Disc, Full XTR, SX Carbon

Submitted by Jeff H.(bikeshop emp.) a Weekend Warrior from Sioux Falls,So.Dak.

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1999

Strengths:
Simply the BEST components ever!

Weaknesses:
Price!Price!OUCH!Nothing else.

Bottom Line:
I just ordered all XTR components today! To go with my new year2000 GT ZASKAR LE TEAM frame,I just ordered also today!My god I got a massive boner just thinking about it!I'll let you know how it ends.

Southmountain,Pheonix-Vail,Co.area!

tested or demo'ed only

XT components on all my bikes.I didn't think it got any better.WRONG!

GT STS CARBON full suspension -GT BACKWOODS-MONGOOSE IBOC COMP-SCHWINN FACTORY HOMEGROWN-GT OUTPOST-BIANCI roady !ROCKSHOX!

Submitted by Aggie John a Racer from College Station, TX

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Strengths:
Light, strong, exceptional shifting, looks great.

Weaknesses:
The XTR crankset decal.

Bottom Line:
No matter what a couple of these losers say, Shimano makes the best components on the market. Foremost of these is the XTR gruppo. Simply the best shifting, braking, stiffest and lightest for any price. Has never failed me in a race. Have you ever noticed that when the losers start ragging on Shimano, they NEVER have anything intelligent to say and have to mention that the trendy product of the moment that they just bought is so much better than Shimano. Too bad their brains are filled with crap instead of brains. I guess they are still in high school mode and think that you have to be different to be cool. Have a good ride!GIG 'EM Aggies! 1999 Big XII Champs in Football and Baseball!

1 Year

XT w/ Raceface crankset.

Klein Attitude Pro.

Submitted by Robert Eager a Racer from Salisbury, NC

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
Absolutely none

Weaknesses:
Heavy, ugly, never shifts correctly
I am always loosing races because of these inferior components
Shimano please fix this component group

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this product to anyone intending to use it in races
Buy the much superior Shimano Tourney components - they rock!
What the hell is the point of reviewing the xtr component line?!

Umbstead park

2 Years

Everything out there baby!

Pee-Wee Herman special

Submitted by Don Fitterer a Cross-Country Rider from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Strengths:
Light, beautiful, good gear ratios

Weaknesses:
rear cogs easy to bend. Doesn't work well when it gets dirty.

Bottom Line:
Great looking and I love having 9 speeds to chose. When I get it dirty or muddy performance really drops. Bent the 3rd cog in the rear cluster during a ride. Must have been a stick because I never felt like I really torqued up.

Shindagin

XT

Sola Seven

Submitted by Jeff a Cross-Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1999

Strengths:
Great components.
It's simple, they work! Silently, smoothly, quickly. AND they're LIGHT!

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I have a a '97 goup with a'98 Rapid-Rise Rear Derailleur. I upgraded from an XT group and was astounded by the improvement. I ride through mud, sand, dirt and city streets (NYC streets are a bit like riding off-road) and have had nothing but flawless performance. The Rapid-Rise Derailleur is a treat to use! The cranks are stiff. Both derailleuers WORK! The brakes are excellent. Shifting is Quick and Precise.Keep it all clean and lubricated and you'll have perfect performance.Definately worth the price!

XT Group

Rhygin Juke SS Frame, Full XTR, '97 Judy SL, King Headset, Cane Creek WAMs, Moxey Suspension Post, Time ATAC Pedals, KORE Elite Stem, Titec 118 bars, WTB SST Seat…

Submitted by shawn a Cross-Country Rider from spartanburg sc

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1999

Strengths:
light weight, smooooooth like butta

Bottom Line:
if you rate this stuff less than four chilis, you probably don't own it. Flawless performance in all conditions, even the 9-speed that I have.

schwinn homegrown factory team

Submitted by Win a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Strengths:
Shiftters, derailleurs, brakes, hubs, cassette

Weaknesses:
BB, brake levers, cranks

Bottom Line:
The absolute best shifting. No other group comes close. It's worth it to get XT or XTR instead of LX for the shifters alone, which have quicker action and much shorter travel. The quality of the other components is also superb. The V-brakes are great. The hubs and cassette are light and strong.The only gripes I have are minor: (1.) The cost is still brutal. (2.) I love the brake levers (I think only Avid makes better brake levers than Shimano) but they're too damned short. It's hard to get 2 fingers on them. I know they're supposed to be 1-finger levers, but it pisses me off that Shimano is not giving people a choice. I still think better than 90% of bikers like to use 2 fingers. I have relatively skinny fingers. Someone with big hands could really get to hate these levers. (3.) The BB is great, but you're forced to use Shimano's cranks. Come to think of it, the splined spindle and 4-arm cranks are really good ideas and are already starting to become standards. I have to admit that many of Shimano's innovations become standards, not because of the company's dominance in the component market, but because they do work better. (4.) In an earlier review, someone else mentioned how the finish on the cranks can wear away relatively easily. (5.) I wish the shifters had more adjustability. I like my brake levers angled down somewhat and this causes the shifters to be positioned too close to my thumbs.Like I said, all my gripes are minor. I consider 5 flames to mean perfection, so I score the XTR group a 4, but that doesn't mean I don't consider it to be the best group out there by far.

Any