Shimano 1996 LX Grouppo Component Group

4.2/5 (30 Reviews)

Shimano LX Grouppo

Submitted by dudeman from eugene, oregon

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Strengths:    good commuter/thrash grouppo cheap

Weaknesses:    broke too easy

Bottom Line:
a decent group for the money . i got it 4 free with little wear . worked good up until i broke it

Purchased At:   freinds scrap yard USED

Similar Products Used:   00 xtr , 91 xt , 93 xt, 98 lx

Bike Setup:   trek p.o.s. cromo frame RIGID

Submitted by Rhuben a Cross Country Rider from melbourne, australia

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Strengths:    cheep and reliable

Weaknesses:    damn chain!!

Bottom Line:
it rocks best bang for your buck!!
out peforms xt for priche and reliability,
bit to heavy but cant help that

Favorite Trail:   big hill downhill

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   shogun slixkrock lx ,full lx running gear, mavic rims, tioga 2.3 dh, blah blah blah

Submitted by Hippe a Cross Country Rider from Nijmegen, Holland

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2000

Strengths:    Sheap, 9 speed, easy to repair, light and strong

Weaknesses:    No flight deck

Bottom Line:
Good group for a sheap price (F625,-/$300,-)
It's the firts group of shimano for the competitions.

Submitted by Lewis a Weekend Warrior from perth,western australia

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2000

Strengths:
goood stuff for price looks great

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
great for price and quality

less than 1 month

stx,stx rc,

dmr trailstar ,azonic seat bars ,mavic d521

Submitted by Pedro a Cross-Country Rider from Lisboa

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Strengths:
Price, function, beautiful, 9 speeds

Weaknesses:
It's weight comparing with XT and XTR.

Bottom Line:
It's a great group, it works in all kinds of terrain: sand, mud, rocks, etc. It has 9 speeds like XT and XTR.

3 months

Shimano XT, Alivio, STX-RC, Sachs

MASSI Trax-Alu 7005

Submitted by Gary a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1999

Strengths:
No plastic! And it works.

Weaknesses:
Hurts if you try to eat any of it.

Bottom Line:
This is the second LX drivetrain I've owned in the past few years. I've been happy with the performance and reliability of all the components, save for the freewheel/hub.From day one, the freewheel/hub has acted...strangely. It doesnt coast smoothly and sounds like a flight of B-24 bombers coming down the hill. But it hasn't seized up in four years of riding, so I'll keep hammering the shit out of it until it does.Note to your average rider: YOU DONT NEED XTR. SPEND YOUR MONEY ON BEER INSTEAD. If you simply must have XTR, put an XTR sticker on your LX derailleur. There now, doesn't that feel better?

The Golden Path to Unlimited Devotion

more than 3 years

XT, STC-RC, Alivio, cheap Suntour.

Trek 950 rigid. What's a shock?

Submitted by Graham a Cross-Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap, worked flawlessly for the first couple thousand miles. Shifters, cranks, cogs and rings are all still in great shape.

Weaknesses:
The shifting went to hell in a handbasket all at once. I have no idea how many miles I have on, but I put on over 30 a day when I was a bike messenger. As soon as I move out to CA, I started moutain biking, and now everything's breaking. I've checked my chain, it's not that old and still isn't stretched that bad. The cogs show very little wear, so this leads me to believe the deraillers are the culprit. I adjust the crap out of them just to keep my ride going, but I really think they've reached the end of their life span.

Bottom Line:
A good bargain group, I certainly wouldn't go any lower. (this is the first group in the line to eliminate all the plastic crap) I'm really not satisfied with the the mileage I've gotten out of the deraillers, particularly since the rest is still working flawlessly after years of abuse. Unfortunately, the marketing facists at Shimano have made my equipment obsolete, so now I need a whole new groupo instead of just replacing the guilty parts. A big SCREW YOU to the bastards at Shimano. If only campy kept making mountain parts...

Fort Ord/Soquel Forest

2 Years

Sorry, this is my first move away from a single speed track bike (just when 1x1 got popular)

GT avalance '96, '98 Marzocchi Atom Bomb

Submitted by Joe a Racer from Barberton OH

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
Nice gear range, fairly fast rear shifts

Weaknesses:
VERY bad front shifting, even when compared to my Grip Shift MRX's with a tourney front derailleur. Also it suffers more when it has been ridden hard.

Bottom Line:
This group preforms far worse than I expected. The front shifting is terrible and the rear isn't great. Compared to the shifting of the component groups a couple steps down from LX (Alivio, Acera, STX) it is awful in the mud.A good component group only if you ride on a wide range of varying terrain, and live in a super dry climate (but not dusty dry, because that will affect the drivetrain badly)

Vultures Knob

tested or demo'ed only

A whole crapload of different derailleurs

Icon crank, LX drivetrain

Submitted by Ivan a Weekend Warrior from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: April 9, 1999

Strengths:
Not expencive,reliable,
brakes very efficient,
smooth gear shifting...

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Excellent value for money, everybody can afford it, it can take all the punishment you can dish out and more.

6 months

rigid

Submitted by Matt Schultz a weekend warrior from Woodside, South Australia

Date Reviewed: February 17, 1999

Bottom Line:

I currently have a 1998 Raceline with LX front and XT rear. On the hole I love this combination as it allows for quick, precise changes on the most technical of courses. The overall performance of the XT rear is flawless but the LX front does tend to shift slowly when you are really trying to motor up steep hills. I was on a tight budget for this bike and for the price I paid this combination is outstanding, but you just can't go past the XT rear for value - it's PROVEN to be outstanding!

Submitted by Andrew a racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: February 2, 1999

Bottom Line:

I completed a race season with a lX front and rear deraileurs. They hold up quite well for the price. Never had any problems with them but I put an Avid Rollamajig on the rear deraileur to improve quickness and smoothness. It worked quite well. Overall LX is a well functioning group

Submitted by Simeon Yianni a cross-country rider from England , Huddersfield

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this Groupset on my Handsome Dog bike the shift well and after about 5-6 months the rear mech got bent along with my dropout so it is stong with a good £tag

Submitted by Paul a weekend warrior from Coventry, England

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I ordered the LX groupset as part of a spring clean for my bike, It arrived attatched to a pair of 217's, The only problem was with the indexing of the rear mech, a quick visit to be BSG and all was fine. The LX g/set is a hard working set, it's all anyone really needs, well, all I need. All I can say is the big S has treated us well and I am really happy with the whole gruppo. Nice...

Submitted by jamie a racer from nova scotia

Date Reviewed: July 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

an Lx rear dEr. came stock on my bike I shifts perfect if it is clean. It only missed a shift when it was so clogged with mud and grit after a race. After I got all the crap out of It and lube it worked fine. I think it looks better then XTR too.

Submitted by ben a cross-country rider from the land down under

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm not running a whole LX groupset, just brakes and derailleur. My bike was a piece of crap and I am upgrading. I figure Lx is the best way to go for a good price. The brakes still work fine after about 7 months, and god knows how many kilometres. I only got the derailleur recently, and it works perfectly, even when coupled with dodgy grip-shifters. In all, I would reccomend them to anybody.