WickWerks Radically Ramped Chainring Chainring

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

WickWërks chainrings have multiple ramps spread out every three, four or five teeth, providing a fast positive engagement of the chain no matter where in the crankset revolution you’re shifting.

WickWërks chainrings have low profile teeth off of each ramp and an angled area above the top portion of each ramp that allow the chain to lean in and mesh smoothly into the next ring during an upshift.

The low profile teeth around the WickWërks chainrings allow the front derailleur cage to physically move the chain past a cut tooth allowing for faster downshifts, especially under load

Submitted by xmessenger

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Shifts

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Just bought a new Fly Ti 29er and thought I'd add these rings for an upgrade after reading good reviews. My old bike, which I still cherish, had a mutt set of rings on an old race face turbine crank with the real difference being my Suntour XC ratcheting/friction shifter. Honestly this is the best front shifter because you can trim the front derailleur infinately and you "feel" the shift which helps avoiding bad shifts. Anyways, my new bike has XTR triggers which of course have only 3 positions and I've experianced in the past doing a shift to the big ring and simply slamming the chain against it waiting for it to grab. These chainrings eliminate this. No matter where your chainring is theres a ramp for the chain to grab. Awesome shifts. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to do this. Hmmm wonder if this could be done on a cogset?

Submitted by T- a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    These do just as they say. Shift every time and fast. They love to be shifted fast and agressively. No need to 'baby the shifter'. I bought their 2X conversion and mated them to SRAM X7 cranks. Flawless install and function.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
My first time posting a review, so I hope this meets the criteria. For the 2x conversion, don't let anyone tell you that your existing 3x front shifter and derailure will work. Just do it right the first time and get the correct shifter and derailure and you will love the WickWerks chain rings. As noted previously, they do as advertised and shift when you want and expect them to.

Favorite Trail:   Toads or Downeyville

Purchased At:   Wickwerks

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X7 - GXP

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR-7, XT- Shifters, XT-Shadow RD, Command Dropper Post.

Submitted by jrahm a Cross Country Rider from Sisters OR

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2010

Strengths:    shifts beautifully, lightweight, lighter and less $$$ than XTR

Weaknesses:    none that I am aware of

Bottom Line:
Several months of flawless use, then I bent the middle ring (lost the chain, went off the bike, etc.) Got home to find that the spider bolts had come loose, ring wandered off line, then bent under heavy load on a standing climb.
I e-mailed Chris for advice, can I straighten, can I get another, what to do? I made it clear it was about loose bolts, and no fault of his product and still today two new rings appeared in the mail, gratis.
Great product, and customer service to match. WOW

Favorite Trail:   Peterson Ridge

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   sram, race face, XT XTR

Bike Setup:   ti titus rx 29er, reba team, full xtr except for rings and brakes (much less trouble with bb7)

Submitted by tohatchi a Cross Country Rider from Orem, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Front shifts happen as fast as rear shifts now. Just push it and go, no babying the chain while you wait for it to catch so you can pedal hard again. Hard anodized coating keeps these looking new even after 6 months of hard riding. I have both the MTB triple and the Cyclcross double and they both work great.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic products, fantastic company. Chris Wicks owns it and runs the show. He takes care of his customers. If you're tired of poor shifting through your front chain rings then this will fix it.

Favorite Trail:   Any Singletrack

Purchased At:   www.wickwerks.com

Similar Products Used:   FSA chain rings, they're both chain rings, but the WickWërks chain rings work a whole lot better

Bike Setup:   K2 Lithium, Stevens Carbon Cross.

Submitted by Cap'um a Cross Country Rider from Boston area, MA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, clean shifting. Shifting under load. No more waiting.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I haven't ridden these chainrings for very long, but I wanted to write a review while the memory of my old rings is still somewhat fresh.

These chainrings are absolutely brilliant! (no, I'm not British, just hear me out...).

You know how a good, well-tuned rear derailer just works on the rear cassette? You shift, it changes gears, and it does it quickly and cleanly, with no fuss. Now imagine having that up front. THAT is the WickWerks chainrings. These chainrings dramatically reduce the time you have to wait for a shift. It almost always feels instant, clean, and quiet. All in all, these are FAR better than any other chainrings I have ridden.

I'd also like to say that this company deserves your business. I ordered a set directly from their site, and it promptly arrived in the mail. About a month later, I received another set in the mail. To my complete surprise, Chris (from WickWerks) tells me that he just finished production on his next refinement, and he wanted me to have the latest version! Where have you ever heard of service like that before?!?!

I will be spreading the word about these WickWerks chainrings to all of my riding friends...

Favorite Trail:   Red Tail Trail (thanks, NEMBA!)

Purchased At:   WickWerks

Similar Products Used:   TruVativ, Race Face

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite, SRAM X9 rear derailer, XT front derailer, SRAM PC991 cross-step chain, SRAM PG990 cassette, and of course the WickWerks Mountain XC Compact front chainrings.

Submitted by MHanslip a Racer from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, accurate, repeated shifts
Nice looks
Light weight

Weaknesses:    None identified so far

Bottom Line:
When I first used these rings I thought they were just as good as Shimano (my highest praise for chainrings) but I am beginning to think that perhaps they are even better. There is never any complaint from the front derailleur during a shift - it just happens.
I can't remember a single missed shift nor a single overshift incident (which does happen with Shimano rings on occasion).

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   WickWerks

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (XTR, XT, SLX), BlackSpire

Bike Setup:   Titus Fireline Exogrid 29er custom with XT

Submitted by 08Zaskar a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, fast shifting, look sweet

Weaknesses:    None found so far

Bottom Line:
These rings are just great. Stiffer than stock rings, way faster shifting and the CNC finish adds a bit of custom bling to the bike. Can't fault them, can't wait for their new products!

Favorite Trail:   Jarrahdale

Purchased At:   Wick Werks

Similar Products Used:   Stock FSA, Truvative rings

Bike Setup:   08 Zaskar carbon, x.9, Juicy Ultimates, Sid Team, FSA Carbon Team cranks

Submitted by sbirdasn a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    Look well engineered, w/ 7075-T6 & Mil Hard Coat anodizing should make for good wear life. Mounted on crank fine, though derailleur setup forced the issue of worn out stock deore cage so I upgraded to XT at same time. Chain is new PC991 at time of install. Shifts are quick and solid. No need to baby/sneak up on your up shifts. So far 27 mi RT each day to work for last month, plus the "Death Ride" (129 mi/5 mtn passes & 15K climbing), 5 or 6 trail rides- Looking good so far.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes shift ups are noisy, dropping to smallest ring sometimes falls off (never had a bike that didn't do that sometimes). Mil. Hard Coat Anodizing is "natural" color, not the black seen on the lovely web site pictures- they would look better in black on my bike. One time, chain jammed and twisted cage on mounting tube (no apparent damage). I've now tightened derailleur clamp beyond normal spec'ed torque, and have not experienced any further problems. Not sure why chain jammed in the first place.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 135 lb light-weight hill climber- and I use my gears a lot, shift constantly as load/conditions change- So I expect a lot of my drive train. So far, they do what they advertise- Fast, reliable shifts. Note: these rings want you to "Jam and Go"- don't baby the up-shifts. Hit the shifter and keep on pedaling. I paid maybe $10-15 more than a set of Race Face rings (online price), which didn't have as much life as I would have hoped (5-7Kish street miles, though I did let a chain stretch too much, which forced the issue sooner). But with the high grade materials, I expect these to last longer. -1 chili for the anomalous jam, otherwise it would be 5.

Favorite Trail:   Little Cottonwood Canyon

Purchased At:   Local, direct from m

Similar Products Used:   Stock Bontrager, Race Face Evolve rings.

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 6700 Disc - Avid BB cbl; SRAM PG980/Shim LX Der, stock Bontrager crank, WickWerks rings, XT Der., PC991, ATAC Carbons; WTB Weirwolf 2.1 tires, serfas ICS Gel saddle, Sidi D. 4 shoes. Prob. $2K+ (w/ upgrades) ride now.

Submitted by mbikerlogan a Racer from Ogden, UT

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    The Rings shift incredibly fast. Low profile teeth make the rolling resistance really low. They also feel a lot stiffer than my previous rings which is also a huge plus. The ring set is lighter than xtr.

Bottom Line:
These rings are easily the best rings on the market without a doubt. lighter faster and stiffer than anything else out there. definately the ringset for those who are looking for the maximum competetive edge and even for those that seek maximum performance out of their machine

Favorite Trail:   Goose Berry Mesa

Submitted by luv2mbike a Racer from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    Shifts quickly, shifts well under load, strong, and light.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses, just wish I found these rings earlier.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend these rings to the most dedicated riders. These chainrings hold up in the the worst of conditions. This product has given me the ability to predict when and how my bike will shift no matter what the trail condition.

Wick Werks Radically Ramped Chainrings: Strong, light, reliable, and effective.

Similar Products Used:   Stock rings on truvativ and shimano cranksets.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp, Fox F 80, Magura disc.

Submitted by viktor a Cross Country Rider from Fountain, CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2008

Strengths:    These things shift as smooth and faster than the ones that start with the letter S (XTR). They are quick to engauge, light and strong.

Weaknesses:    WickWerks does not supply the small chainring with the set. So I got stuck with some cheap cr*p ring that did not work but that was from the e-bay dude that did the work on the crank set.

Bottom Line:
These rings ROCK. They shift better than OEM or aftermarket XTR. I have managed to keep them off the rocks mostly. They are strong, straight, light, and made in the USA.

These things get on the next upper ring before I am done with the shift on these dual control XTR shifters.

Favorite Trail:   the LONG ones

Purchased At:   included with work o

Similar Products Used:   Specialized OEM crank/rings, Shimano XT, and XTR crankset and rings (the Wickwerks are the best). New chain with each set-up.

Bike Setup:   Started with '97 Stumpjumper (broke that) now Specialized RockHopper Pro with Marathon SL shock and Full XTR 965 componet set. Oh, changed out to XT Rear D after tangle with rocks and spokes. XTR dual control shifters Rapid Rise.