Truvativ TRUSHIFT Chainring

2.12/5 (17 Reviews)

If you're in need of replacement chainrings for your Truvativ Noir or Stylo crankset, look no further than these Truvatic Trushift Chainrings. They're made from 7050 T-6 aluminum plate, then stamped, coined, and CNC machined into shape. The coining of the teeth is particularly cool because it makes them harder and more durable in addition to the initial intent of shaping the teeth. Truvativ's Powerglide technology ensures fast, consistent shifts with an assemblage of ramps and pins designed to manage the chain better than other systems. The Truvativ Trushift Chainrings are available as a 32t middle ring and a 44t big ring. Both are Black and fit four-arm spiders with a 104mm BCD.

Submitted by Spittle a Weekend Warrior from Bristol

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    It's crap! I've had my bike less than a month and the big 44t ring has a load of knackered teeth and I've not bottomed out nor have I changed gears fully powered up. I really am dissapointed with having to upgrade this already!

Bottom Line:
Truvativ TRUSHI*

Similar Products Used:   Raceface

Submitted by Ian Mathews a Cross Country Rider from Morgantown, West Virginia, USE

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    from a distance it looks like a race face chain ring and crank, looks good, smaller 1st chain ring that works rather well with some larger cassets

Weaknesses:    price is equal to the job its gonna give! not much,
keeps flipping the chain off the largest ring no matter what you do, too soft, easy cosmetic damage.

Bottom Line:
for a crank and ring on a department store bike... whoa! its good
for a crank and ring on a good bike... BALDERDASH!!!! its not worth it

its a sleek looking crank. but 3 out of 5 times when i shift into the largest chain ring the chain flies off the ring and into the cranks. it crashed me once and put a good sized scratch on my leg and my frame. upon mounting it up to adjust the derailleur i found nothing wrong. the shifter when all the way up didnt look like it could push the chain off the ring like that. I played with it a bit but i got the same darn results. so i put my trusty old shimano biopace gears on and havent had a problem yet... i highly reccomend bio paces for mountain bikes, it feels so much nicer.

Favorite Trail:   graveyard trails

Purchased At:   Positive Spin INC

Similar Products Used:   we put a 35$ shimano SIS crank on a fold up bike we found. same price. MUCH better results

Bike Setup:   (upgraded) Mongoose pro ZERO g3, Rockshox psylo race, FOX float rear shock, sun rims rhyno lite rear rim, Shimano deore rear hub, mavick front rim and hub, shimano Biopace 3 speed chain rings, shimano deore cranks, thompson seatpost, SRAM 5.0 8X casette. you know... the homebrew works?

Submitted by Rom d a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Strengths:    looks.

Weaknesses:    too soft. A few trails and less than 200Km and the middle plate has a serious 2mm dent and the chain keeps jumping all over! Gets the deraileurs out of sync and then the chain goes over the small plate onto the chassis and have to keep tuning up. bottom line? not very good. Maybe the secret is in the chrom plating that I don't have. And the paint chips easy.

Bottom Line:
I hate it. It drives me crazy as well as the chain. Other than looks it got nothing. Came with the bike. Urgent upgrade needed.

Favorite Trail:   Merav, Maanit

Purchased At:   Matzman-Merutz

Similar Products Used:   shomano

Bike Setup:   Sonix VL120 20", Manitou Radium Shock, Fork upgraded to Fox Talas RL, Deore Front, SRAMx7 Rear, SRAMx7 shifters, Avid 5 cable, Ritchey Comp+Rizer, Truvativ Firex Crankset, Wellgo WPD-996 pedals, Alexrims DP17, WTB Exiwolf 2.1

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    I'd guess its fairly light

Weaknesses:    jamming up every time you change from granny to middle or back when under load

Bottom Line:
My shimano altus was on a bike which cost less than half the price of this and has worked, with minimal routine maintenance, without fail for nearly ten years. Bought this bike secondhand yesterday, rode the bike twice, yesterday it was all sweet nice smooth shifts etc. and today has been nothing but jammed up chain. Unless you change gear really really carefully without loading the cranks the chain has a tendency to get stuck between the chain rings (granny and middle) once jammed the chain wraps around the crankset and messes up your frame. It's possible that the previous owner abused the bike, but the rest of it is like new and works a treat so I doubt it, but i know why they sold it! I'd expect better gear than this on a 250 quid bike. You shouldn't buy this, if the bike you want comes with it ask for an upgrade (unless you only want to ride on the flat).

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm on

Similar Products Used:   Shimano altus, suntour

Bike Setup:   Factory Kona Kikapu

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts well, lasted quite a while. Cheap, crankset and rings were only $110.

Weaknesses:    None really, considering I used them for a couple years of hard riding.

Bottom Line:
Rings lasted two hard seasons, until the teeth looked like shark fins. Eventually mangled the 44t ring when I slipped off a log so I replaced the set. They shift every bit as well as Shimano or the Raceface rings I use now when chainline is adjusted properly. They probably aren't quite as strong as raceface, and certainly not as strong as the blackspire, but they shift well. I now run 22/34/bashring and don't worry about bending rings.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Lots of time spent on Blackspire, Shimano, and Raceface rings.

Bike Setup:   Rings came on Truvativ stylo team crankset. Always used Shimano chains and Shimano XTR/XT deraileurs. Chainline adjusted properly!

Submitted by Brian Nelson a Cross Country Rider from Lansing, MI

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Weak

Bottom Line:
For the life of me I couldn't figure out how I managed to bend the 44 & 32 tooth chainrings at nearly the same time. After reading these reviews I think I now know. I'm 5' 10", 175 & not a racer.

I rarely give bad reviews, but these chainrings could be the worst component of any type I have ever ridden on. One flaming turd is too much.

Favorite Trail:   Burchfield

Purchased At:   Stock

Similar Products Used:   Other stock components

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 5.0

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Cape Cod

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    Don't know about that!

Weaknesses:    twisted up the middle ring in less then 3 months.

Bottom Line:
These are crap! I don't care how you look at it. Then the dumb #@$^ at the shop replace the middle ring on warrenty with a Shimano ring... Bad idea. Just like about every other set of rings out ther they are just that, a set. the chain kept dropping between the big and middle ring on up shifts. what a pain!!!! replaced set with Race face, all is well.

Favorite Trail:   Otis

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, Race Face

Bike Setup:   It's a trail bike. Hard tail, Duke up front, Hayes, Rhyno Lites ...

Submitted by Jason Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts very well. Crank arms are very durable.

Weaknesses:    Chainrings seem to be pretty weak, I was climbinb a hill in a high gear and the 44 bent. I had to take bend it back to finish my ride. I ended up buying a new one because it was too messed up.

Bottom Line:
Works fine if you aren't using your crank to ride over rocks and stuff. Don't put too much torque on the larger chainring.

Favorite Trail:   Milcreek pipeline

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Topanga Comp, XT components

Submitted by Dell a Cross Country Rider from New Castle De

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Strengths:    it works ok

Weaknesses:    shifting not on par with shimano chain rings

Bottom Line:
This review is for a TruVativ replacement chain ring on an lx crankset. With a new chain my old middle chain ring was skipping b/c it was worn. The TruVativ ring worked ok, but the shimano was better. The TruVativ was much slower picking the chain up off the small chain ring.

Purchased At:   bike line

Similar Products Used:   lx other shimano stuff

Bike Setup:   xt drive train with sram rocket shifters

Submitted by martin turtle a Weekend Warrior from Abersoch, N.Wales. U.K.

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap and light

Weaknesses:    middle chain ring bent during a shift uphill.

Bottom Line:
this bike should have been fitted with a stronger chainset,
there are plenty out there.

Bike Setup:   GT I drive 4 stock

Submitted by zack maize a Weekend Warrior from reading pa usa

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    none that a saw

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
It came stock with bike not a bad stock product. the i was riding a flat land and next thing i now the chain is flying off the ring and its folded like a pice of paper bottom line its crap but i do like there cranks.

Favorite Trail:   blue marsh

Purchased At:   stock product

Bike Setup:   mongoose zero g3

Submitted by jp a Cross Country Rider from calgary, canada

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    The shifting wasn't bad for the three weeks that I could use it.

Weaknesses:    I had the big ring for only 3 weeks before I needed to replace it. First, I knocked three teeth of after skimming a rock. Next, it folded like a taco when I went over a small log. I can't imagine how this ring can be used on anything but pavement and super buff trails.

Bottom Line:
Total dissapointment. I had an LX setup on my old bike that never gave me any problems, no matter what I went over. Don't buy this ring as an aftermarket upgrade. If it comes on your bike, get ready to replace it.

Favorite Trail:   overlander

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, Race Face, Black spire

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 4000 Limited edition Canadain Team bike- Sram 9.0 sl, Sid, Sun 0 degree rims, Easton Carbon riser Kore post and stem

Submitted by BRANDON a Weekend Warrior from ATLANTA, GA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    CHEAP

Bottom Line:
HAVE HAD PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM WITH CHAIN RINGS AND THE FIRE X CRANKS. WHILE RIDING TODAY, THE MIDDLE CHAINRING BENT AND LOCKED UP MY DRIVE TRAIN ON HAIRY SECTION OF TRAIL. IM GLAD THOUGH, I AM GOING WITH A COMPLETED XTR/RACE FACE DRIVETRAIN TOMORROW.

Purchased At:   CAME WITH BIKE

Bike Setup:   GT-I-DRIVE

Submitted by Lou Vassallo a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, Nickel plating, ramped and pinned. Very nice finish

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I don;t know what the others have complained about.... The ring I received was nickel plated and shifts better than any other ring I have ever had.. XTR or Raceface. It is strong and shows no signs of wear like the others did after 3 months. To be fair to the Vuelta ring, I did have a worn chain and cogs and that probably contributed to the fast wear on it.. BUt after replacing the whole drivetrain with XTR rings and Dura ace chain the middle ring still hung on shifts from time to time and showed signs of wear on my hardtail.. I am hard on shifting and the middle ring.. But the Truvative appears to be harder with the nickel plating. There is a version that looks nice in black but apparently is not plated, so I assume these peopel used that version. The nickel plated one RULES though.. Smooth shifts afterreplacing the XTR middle ring RIGHT AWAY. I won't be using any other ring unless I go crazy and decide to buy a Titanium one......... I doubt it because I have not seen Titanium rings with ramps and pins.. Maybe just the granny.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood NJ