Syncros Hardcore Chainring

4.25/5 (12 Reviews)

• 8 and 9 speed compatible
  • The world's slickest chainrings. Because they're lubricated with a super-hard ceramic coating embedded in the alloy. In other words, less friction and longer wear. So grind away at the competition. Don't be grindin' away your teeth.
  • Foolproof shifts. Check it out. Ingenious Syncros chainring ramps smoothly guide the chain through the gears for lightning fast response and fewer misfires.
  • Dust the competition with precision CNC-machined heat-treated, hard-anodized 7075 aluminum. They're ½ the weight of titanium and 2½ times stronger than the usual 6061T6. Less mass means less rotational inertia. Which means you'll be leaving them in the dust.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Louie Figone a Cross Country Rider from Half Moon Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, excellent wear

Weaknesses:    hard to find

Bottom Line:
    smooth fast shifting, excellent wear, running 22-32-44 and in over two years of cross country ridding and racing have not had to replace any of the rings, much lighter than other rings I have tried.

Similar Products Used:   werk, real, shimano

Bike Setup:   moots ybb, white ind. cranks (american)

Submitted by Hans a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    By far one of the best rings I have had on my crank. I have yet to bend them and do any major damage to them. The paint job on them is long lasting and clean up is a snap.

Weaknesses:    No true weaknesses just wish they made the rings more styled like raceface or other rings.

Bottom Line:
    I have had a lot of rings, I ride to and from work and ride on the week ends. I have had a total of 4 rings on my bike in as many years and found that This year I have not had to buy new rings. I also found that my friends raceface rings have broken and chiped parts and do not hold up to abuse. The combo I have now will hopefully last one more year. I am a heavy rider and put my part to the test, I have had a XTR but it was bent to hell when I hit a rock and I have hit rocks and logs and all kinds of crap and the rings look and run great. I also found that the power I get from my crank does not afect the rings. So if you are a power rider and a cross country rider I would put syncross on my crank arm.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Raceface.S-XT,XTR and syncros.

Bike Setup:   I have them on my raceface Next-LP Crank, I ordered a crank only without rings, my friend had the rings laying around so I put them on WHAT A COMBO.

Submitted by chico jaurez a Racer from SQUAMISH B.C.

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Strengths:    everything... looks sweet and i only had a few problems... (See next bar)plus i could run a 46t on my Xt front.. i couldnt find any other rings taht would fit!(only got new rings to mesh with new chain/cassette

Weaknesses:    i had problems with spacing. chain would always get stuck between middle and granny ring. real pain but TANTALUS the best bike store in the world fixed the problem.

Bottom Line:
    only these rings will bring me the joy of pedalling

mmmm syncros that i cant use anymore becuase they are "worn" even though they work FINE!

i guess once my chain and cassette get worn down a bit i can run my GOOD rings

Favorite Trail:   anything here in my town

Similar Products Used:   stupid blackspire p.o.s. rings that wont fit on my bike!

Bike Setup:   norco bomber full syncros/XT and manitou X-vert R

Submitted by RobInfo a Cross-Country Rider from Downingtown, Pa

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Strengths:
    Beautiful! smooth, durable.

Weaknesses:
    No shifting ramps/pins (if that's a weakness)

Bottom Line:
    I got these rings because it was the only reasonably priced Syncros stuff I could find. They have performed very well. I had some trouble initially because the chainring bolt holes were thinner and I couldn't keep the chainring bolts tight. I usually replace small/middle rings at least once a year, along with the chain, but because I'm getting old and lazy, I decided to run this drivetrain until it started malfunctioning. It's been almost 2 years now and it's still working sweet. The rings are worn of course, but they haven't gotten any burrs on them which is what snags the chain for the dreaded chain suck. Did I mention they're beautiful, I have the gold anodized ones, I still get compliments on them.

French Creek

2 Years

Avitar,

RM Element, ESP 9.0, StrongArm Cranks.

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from st louis, MO

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
    Great anodizing
    Good deal
    nice ramps

Weaknesses:
    wish they still made it in gold!

Bottom Line:
    Bought mine at Cambria for 59, which I think was either a mistake or a killer deal since they should go for about 90 bucks for the set. Though I was getting the Gold color model without ramps or pins. Was suprised when I opened the box and saw they were the 99 model in black. Nice finish, excellent shifting with the ramps. Still wished Syncros would make them in the really cool gold color - would have been different but the new design is great. Hopefully they'll hold up for a few seasons.As always, Syncros does a great job and their support is excellent. E-mail them and Jason will give you an e-mail and a return call in a day. Next time will buy the cranks, although the Whites should last forever.

less than 1 month

Shimano XT
    Sugino Supershift

Klein Adroit, White Bros SC90
    White Ind USA Crank

Submitted by peter clark a Racer from seattle , WA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
    I work as a messenger in seattle and run a 36 tooth single chainring 7 speed. This chainring is bombproof. It is wearing beautifuly and predictably. The ceramic impregnated aluminum is an exciting technology for all of us out there just plain using the hell out of bikes. Syncros is on top.

more than 3 years

Submitted by simon a weekend warrior from perth aussie

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

i have as much syncros stuff on my bike as possible it is the best stuff for the price and it works aswell as it needs to for a weekend warrior.
    the colour is great it goes well with the crank it is quiet but it was a little hard to upshift but that was because of the person that put it together so i got it fixed and now it works like a dream but still could improve.
    i'll give it 5 for the quietness
    4 for the upshift
    5for the down shift,
    and 5 for the colour.
    i think shimano should make gold chainrings aswell because the colour was what made me buy it.
    but remember syncros rulzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Submitted by Luis a weekend warrior from brooklyn

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the whole crankset BB included. have hade shifting problems since the beginning. Have since changed both deralieurs, and chain without much difference. on my last ride chain fell of small ring onto the frame. Could be a cahin line problem but no mechanic has been able to remedy it yet. otherwise it is a strong light crankset. i would give it five if i can get the shifting right.

Submitted by Reed from racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Overall, I really like these rings. They shift very well despite not having pins or ramps. However, after only four months all three rings are beginning to hook, especially the little ring (even though I am not in it much). I figure they will last at least another three months. Not a bad life span. And for the price I certainly won't complain

Submitted by brad a racer from portland

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I don't see what the problem is with these rings. Sure they don't have ramps or pins, and they don't look like a set of shimano's. However, they do what they were intended to do. They shift great, they look great and the ceramic coating makes the drivetrain quiet and doesn't pick up as much dirt as chainrings built by the big-S company. My tranny consists of 95 xtr cranks, syncros 24-36-48 rings, new xtr derailleurs, IG-90 chian, xtr 11-30 ti cassette and gore cables. Shifting under load has not been a problem and i've not thrown a chain since I purchased these rings over a year ago. When I bought my crank it came with the stock xtr rings. If you know anyone else that has these mounted on a zaskar le, you know that chainsuck has plagued this bike from day one. Not so with the syncros rings, I have had no problems during races and traing rides. Five stars is not enough for the quality Syncros has put into these, they work very well.

Submitted by Vhuang from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

They suck!!!!! No ramps, no pins. upshifting under load is a pain. Many spills and falls becuz I cannot upshift. 1 thing they are good is, they are very smooth. Something about a special coating. Other than that, they suck!!!! Time to buy some Real Chainrings. 0 star for shifting but I'll give them 1 star for quietness.

Submitted by Jan Kristian Talgo a cross-country rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1997

Bottom Line:

I recentrly got my Syncros Hardcore chainrings and I love the look they give my bike. They are very beatiful and also light and stiff. I've got the 32T and 42T sizes fitted on an Shimano XT crankarm. The middle chainring doesn't guide the chain as well as Shimano's HG chainrings and when you are pedaling as worst they are making some spooky sounds.

Question for the hardcore Wiss riders

My question is: Now that we have all the reworked trail and added trail, what is a fast time for completing the entire loop? [By entire loop, I mean starting at VG and riding c-clock to Bells Mills, to Forbidden Drive/Lincoln Drive trail head parking, to VG.] For a few years now, I mostly been ... Read More »

grove hardcore

hi, i got a grove hardcore fork, no frame only the fork. got they different lenght from axle to crown at the different sizes? if someone here got a frame only i would be very happy if i could buy one.Read More »

buying grove hardcore

Looking for a grove hardcore frame, anyone here who knows where´s one for sale shop...? 17" 18" 19" where ok. cheers florianRead More »

Turquoise ODI Yeti Hardcore Grips

Anyone know where to find these? Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2Read More »

Giant trance x: Hardcore use!! NEW VIDEO!!!

Hi everyone this my new video recorder in this long weekend in my conuntry (chile) [url=http://vimeo.com/39941898]Sabado en 2 ruedas on Vimeo[/url] thnaks everyone, ENJOY!!!!!Read More »