Shimano XT Chainring

1.68/5 (40 Reviews)

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    Worked well for 6 months

Weaknesses:    The middle chainring started to cause a lot of chiansucks after a half a year. Very disappointed.

Bottom Line:
I should have read this page before I got the crank it would have saved me a lot of money!!!!!!
Shimano did a big scam here to make more money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   CTC Israel

Submitted by spiro vagenas from Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    22 chainring does the job

Weaknesses:    44 chainring very short life

Bottom Line:
Anything else than a XT 44 chainring. There are simply put, no benefits with this chainring. This is also the impression I get from my local bike shop. I have been through a few of these chainrings now and I have never come across a chainring this soft.

Favorite Trail:   koeki

Purchased At:   original component

Similar Products Used:   no name brands

Bike Setup:   koga-miyata tls

Submitted by Zane a Cross Country Rider from Henderson, NV

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Skips like a 5yr old girl.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this product. After 10 months of trouble shooting, banging my knees on the bars and going over the bars, I learned last week that Shimano knows there is a design flaw in the 2006 model and they will do a recall replacement if you complain. However, they are not offering up this information to the bike shops. If I catch the Shimano rep in my LBS, I'm going to make him feel the pain I've felt due to this f#$@ing piece of crap.

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood Trails

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   Klein Atittude Race frame, Mavic wheels, Shimano XT group, Easton EA70 bar/stem/post

Submitted by Brendan a Cross Country Rider from Wollongong, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Shifts OK.

Weaknesses:    Chain skips on it without much wear.

Bottom Line:
Abyssmal. Worst middle chainring I have ever used. Replaced chainring on XT crank which wore early with another XT in October of last year.

It skipped from the outset, everyone in the bike shop I bought it at, and the people I rode with looked at me like I was a mechanically inept idiot. Had replaced chain and cassette with SRAM ones at time of change over, so replaced those as I thought it would improve going back to all Shimano setup. Wrong. Chain skipped going up a short hard climb, went over the bars, landed on a jagged burnt out stump, was cut and gouged profusely. Found out these things had problems/issues even when new, replaced with cheap BBB chainring, and have not had a problem since.

I can't believe Shimano could put something this bad on the market. I had complete faith in them, to the point of replacing everything but this chainring, until told of these issues by the LBS after they'd made some enquiries. Looking back it's probably even worse a situation than the crappy XTR chainrings they made, at least those weren't complete crap from the outset.

Favorite Trail:   Anything local

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace, BBB, TruVativ, Blackspire.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, Nixon fork, XO shifters and rear derailleur, LX front, CrossMax XL wheels, Juicy carbon brakes, Maverick seatpost.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Weaknesses:    Unbelieveably cheesy. Started skipping early and after a year it died, put on a brand new one and that one skipped too. Replaced it with a Salsa for half the price and it skips no more.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the price, wears down too quick and skips under torque

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   With bike

Similar Products Used:   Salsa chainring ($20)

Submitted by pierre bourgon a Cross Country Rider from cornwall, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2005

Strengths:    smooth shifteing, bombproof

Weaknesses:    rapid wear

Bottom Line:
these are good cranks, not especially durable though. If you have a problem with gear wear with any aluminum chainring just find a steel replacement. usually this is a problem with the two smallest chainrings. just make sure it has chain pick-ups (ramps, pins) like the old chainring. chainsuck, never happened. most aluminum chainrings will 3000-6000 miles before they are shark-finned.

Favorite Trail:   any trail I find

Purchased At:   on bike

Similar Products Used:   STX RC(cheap durable steel), truivat-s,s,Al

Bike Setup:   no suspention

Submitted by Nigel S a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2005

Strengths:    works fine for 4 months

Weaknesses:    they suck...

Bottom Line:
if u want a product that will last...don't bother with these.
They worked fine for 4 or 5 months but then the chainsuck began....mystery bent teeth and now 3 broken teeth on my granny ring?? very strange indeed!
i had deore cranks for 4 years and i never had a problem. it doesn't make sense that a product that costs more is far worse...

Shimano....Get ur act together

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Purchased At:   as part of my bike

Similar Products Used:   2000 deore cranks

Bike Setup:   Merlin Malt 2, magura asgard forks, full XT kit

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from los angeles

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Tough one, they seem to work if the conditions are perfect...u know, the moon is aligned with the sun crap...

Weaknesses:    In short...one year...went thru 3 rings...many broken teeth, and the chain suck...omg...if only my girlfriend would suck this much i would have married her a long time ago

Bottom Line:
I've tried to stand by shimano...repeatedly forking out the cash to replace what I thought was rider error. Spending hours cleaning my chain, rings, cogs, ... stopping and hiking thru mud/water in hopes to keep my drive train clean and suck free....no luck. And when these rings dont suck, they break...forgetaboutit. I recently moved on to race face and very happy, no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Peak, suicide

Similar Products Used:   race face,

Bike Setup:   Enduro Pro

Submitted by Eben from Palo Alto, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2005

Strengths:    None. Sometimes possibly to pedal over parking lots if there are no puddles.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck from day one on new Epic Marathon. Skipping on hills. Can't handle any mud or water. Complete junk.

Bottom Line:
Get anything but these Shimano XT chain rings. Not sure what I'm going to try now, but need to figure something else out as I can not pedal up hills due to severe constant chain suck. Very frustrating! These get 0 flamin chilis all around.

Purchased At:   OffRamp

Similar Products Used:   9 years of same chain rings on specialized pro before buying this new bike this year. If I had the old chain rings I would put them on in a second.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    Reasonably light

Weaknesses:    I got the crankset at pricepoint in April of last year and the teeth were mangled on the middle and small rings before the summer was over.

Bottom Line:
These things are junk

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   LX

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by James Taylor a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts well when chain is not jammed.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck on the middle ring after 1 hours use, it is constantly getting pulled up behind the chain set when pedaling along normally. Replacement chain did not help.

Bottom Line:
2004 XT middle rings are not fit for purpose, 1 out of 5 is far to generous. My problem is not isolated and I think Shimano should recall this product.

The problem only gets worse with use, after no more than 20 hours I couldn't even ride across a car park without it sucking up.

Replaced the middle ring with a Middleburn, now waiting for Madison to refund the cost under warranty.

Favorite Trail:   Pennines

Purchased At:   On bike from Keswick MTB

Similar Products Used:   Old XT (bomb proof) Pace, Sugino, Campagnolo.

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Epic Marathon.

Submitted by Luke from Sudbury, MA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Shifts well

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last long, granny wears out causing chainsuck under stress

Bottom Line:
I'm frustrated - after dealing with the mis-aligned frames that the sugars had I have now had two granny rings wear out causing chainsuck under stress. I don't get it. My 11 year-old hardtail has its' original rings on it. Reading the other reviews I see many folks had problems with the middle ring. My issue is with the granny. Any suggestions on more durable rings that will fit the four-arm setup?

Bike Setup:   2002 Sugar 3+, XT front and rear deraillereurs, Hollowtech XT crank and rings

Submitted by Roberto a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2004

Strengths:    Light, smooth shifting - but who cares if they can't hold your chain when you most need them to.

Weaknesses:    NOT MADE FOR ALL BIKES! BE CAREFUL!
Not compatible with some full suspension bikes.
I have Giant NRS and the middle ring would not hold the chain when the rear suspension engaged - even when the ring was brand new. I replace the middle ring with a much less "engineered" ring (and much less expensive) and the problem went away completely. Shimano should offer us some rings that get it done the old fashion way - with big beautiful TEETH.

Bottom Line:
Keep it simple stupid - these rings are not mountain bike rings. Until they change the design, I will never buy these rings again.

Favorite Trail:   King Cedidro

Purchased At:   performancebike.com (?)

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS with XT drivetrain

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Bracknell, Berkshire

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Strengths:    weight, looks and the price I paid for them.

Weaknesses:    chainsuck on granny wheel and middle ring in muddy or wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
I decided to get these instead of middleburn as they were being sold at half-price. They performed well for my trip across France, but off roading, any hint of mud and these things suck big time. Needless to say, I am ditching these and buying some boone chainrings. I also found the XT levers to be cheap and nasty too.

Purchased At:   Halfords