Shimano LX Chainring

1.73/5 (51 Reviews)

Shimano LX

Submitted by UWSPHD a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    The crank and external bearings provide very efficient power transfer.

Weaknesses:    The middle chain ring breaks.

Bottom Line:
Everything will break it is simply a matter of when. The middle ring broke a tooth due to the free-hub seizing and sending the chain pushing through the front derailleur and bending the rear derailleur cage. Granted it took 4000 miles for this to happen. If you want to save money in the long-run buy yourself a set of those ridiculous bike tools and avoid letting the kid mechanic at the LBS touch your rig.
middle ring-$35
front derailleur-$30
cassette-$80
free-hub-$30
chain-$30
total drivetrain replacement-$205

not bad for 4000 miles
if you can afford to beat on your bike then suck it up

Submitted by schneidie a Downhiller from south windsor, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    bendy

Bottom Line:
bendy as all hell, not good for anything where you're gonna be in muddy conditions or with rocks

Favorite Trail:   killington

Similar Products Used:   truvativ chanirings

Bike Setup:   07 fisher marlin, FSA bashring, FSA moto-x bb+ crankset, maxxis 2.5 inch tires, SRAM x-5

Submitted by Al "correction" Osorio a Cross Country Rider from Zurich

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    Cheaper than XT

Weaknesses:    I am correcting my last report. After 6 mths a tooth riped off. I noticed sloppy shifting soon after the shop had installed and I thought it was dirty cables. Now I think it was just quicker than average wear and tear for LX level.

Bottom Line:
I have had good riding in the past saving some buck when needing a new drivetain by using LX rings. Those days are over. It's an ugly sound when climbing a technical singletrack and a tooth goes! Don't save on the drivetrain of you do anything near heavy duty biking.

Favorite Trail:   Engadin, Switzerland

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Sugoi Stiff, better investment

Bike Setup:   XT/XTRbrakes/hartail/rockshx Duke adjustable/

Submitted by peter a Weekend Warrior from Washington D.C.

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2005

Strengths:    Its light, shifts perfectly with the right deraileur and shimano 9sp chain.steel ramping is good stuff

Weaknesses:    rather soft on the compound,not very longlasting

Bottom Line:
a nice chainring for light-weigh, low toque/high rpm type riders, shifting is exellent when chainline is good,and the right chain is used + 9 speed der.For the 10 bucks that this chainring costs, it is a decent buy. but if you are fat/hehehe, just kidding/ or a heavy rider, get something steel if you are looking for durability
and strengt
p.s I bought the whole crank for 64 bucks, not just the chainring

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   siguno, shimano steel, raceface, truvativ and some cheap stuff...

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500/02/, custom DT spokes/xt m756/DT FR 6.1 wheels, lx crank/04 edition/xt chain and cassete, durt jumper 3 and other stuff...

Submitted by Albert Osorio a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    No where near as expensive as XT and only about 30 grams heavier. (worth it)

Weaknesses:    Lasts Tops 1 and 1/2 season before total collapse.

Bottom Line:
All the other reviews shocked me. I was wondering how to get my drivetrain to last longer than 2000 KM before a total replace of cassette/chainrings/chain. But after all the other reviews I guess I am doing alright. I was going to change out my chain sooner to try and get the rings to last longer-the question is how much longer.
And now I ask myslef if spending a little sooner than later is better to have a sharper drivetrain?? Does anyone really know of XT/XTR or other chainrings lasst a whole lot longer?

Favorite Trail:   Engadin, Switz-Val d'Uina

Purchased At:   With bike-replace at bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   German Alu Hartail (Red Bull) XT/LX/ XTR v brakes/Conti explorers/Rockshox Duke 63-115 soon to be Marzochi

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Philly

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    They shifted well at first.

Weaknesses:    didn't hold up

Bottom Line:
I've hit a couple logs with these and they've already gone to hell. I replaced a worn out lx crank with the new, and well by all means worn, those four year old rings look better than the large chainring on my new crankset. I like the crank, but I need to get myself a new large chainring. That or start trying to jump smaller logs.

Favorite Trail:   south mountain

Similar Products Used:   older lx cranks

Bike Setup:   khs hardtail frame, set up for cross country racing

Submitted by Johnny Rooke a Cross Country Rider from Pickering

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Strengths:    Light.
Shifts well.

Weaknesses:    Weak!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
The 2002 Shimano crankset was definitely a lot lighter and shifted a lot better than the stock Specialized crankset I replaced after bending the large ring.
I'm a small rider wieghting only around 135lbs and I do like to hammer the climbs. But I can't believe that a new chainring would lose a tooth after less than 3 months of use. The missing tooth is in the same location as the others reviewers, beside the shift ramps.
So far I have not encountered any chain suck but the shifting is a tad sluggish now. I'll continue to ride it until I notice a significant drop in perfomance.
This is just unacceptable. I'm very disappointed with Shimano. Next time I'll try another product.
Do not buy this product.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Region trails

Purchased At:   Pedal Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Strong Arm

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper FSRXC with LX comp

Submitted by Kwinten a Weekend Warrior from Zonhoven, Belgium

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    light?

Weaknesses:    Wear out in no time. Not a very smooth shifting experience.

Bottom Line:
These chainrings shifted well the first 1000 km. Then I had trouble getting the chain on the smallest wheel.
A few months later my chain breaked a couple of times. So I decited to replace it, together with my cascette. After I did that I noticed my chain jumped of my chainwheels, they were totally woren out. So now I have to replace them too. Only the smallest one is intact, and that's steal one. Looks like shimano wanted to show of with their lightweight chainwheels by making them out of weak alloy.
If you don't mind replacing these chainwheels every six months, you should buy them. But I'm gonna buy BBB chainwheels, hope they last longer.

Favorite Trail:   Bloso Route Genk

Purchased At:   Martens Rijwielen Houthalen

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano LX group, except front shifter, Rock Shox Judy XC, all others parts from Colorado.

Submitted by Topples a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    Lightish

Weaknesses:    Everything else.

Bottom Line:
Cheapish if you dont look at the dollars per km value. Original set lasted 600 kms, replaced and the new ones lasted 400 kms. Soft, grumpy and a waste of money. Currently looking for a good solid alternative. I live i a mreasonably hilly area but push most of it in the middle ring, the mall ring still woe out quickly and the middle ring is not far behind, im 6'9" and 96 km but i still think i shouldnt have to replace rings every 10 rides. Maybe use it if your doing flat rides and weigh nothing.

Favorite Trail:   Catho Loop

Similar Products Used:   Tioga buzz saw (i think cant remember)

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse ARS 7.0 stocko bar new longer seat post, b eds and ouri grips

Submitted by ssqa2002 a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    A fairly inexpensive product, light weight, looks good

Weaknesses:    After logging about 1,000 miles, I noticed that the middle chainring was missing a tooth near a ramp point inline with my crank downward position. The whole tooth was missing, though I don't notice any weakness in pedalling, so I'm not incluned to spend the bucks to replace the sprocket just yet. I'll just keep riding until it gets worse.

I take longish 50-65 mile road rides, and use this bike when the hills are tougher than what I can do on my road bike. Some of the hills are fairly steep, and I suspect the tooth popped off on a steep grade.

Bottom Line:
Breaking a tooth is not a good thing, and very expensive to buy a replacement part. I'm not planning on replacing the chainring until ride quality starts to degrade to to additional wear. Perhaps Shimano cut the manufacturing process a bit much by not stress releiving the material, heat treating, or a weaker alloy. Whatever the reason, I'm not thrilled.

Favorite Trail:   Calavaras Loop

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Suntour XC a very strong crankset. A Specialized strongarm setup on my Rockhopper that creates chain suck after 100 miles climbing Mission Peak. Removing the chain wheel (small) and filing off the peaks restores original performance.

Shimano Acera, stamped steel. This product for all it's cheapness, is very durable, and reliable. If you absolutely gotta get there, us this part.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Crossroads 17", mid 1990s, 21 speed, 700c Vittoria Techno Treads, Acera front rear ders, Body Geometry saddle, 12/28 rear casssette.

Submitted by Jack BeNimble a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good in the box.

Weaknesses:    1) Weak
2) Price

Bottom Line:
I got a great price on a set of 2002 LX cranks, but that's where my satisfaction ends. Within the first 50 miles, I noticed that the middle chainring had a busted tooth. I'm sure that I did it while grinding hard up a hill, but 2000+ miles on my old aluminum chainrings and I never had a problem like this. Now to replace the POS ring, it is going to cost almost the same amount as what I paid for the whole crankset.

Here's a business opportunitity... Some company out there needs to start making GOOD replacement chainrings at a reasonable price. I'd be your first customer.

Similar Products Used:   Chainrings that came with bike's original Icon cranks (now defunct).

Bike Setup:   LX Cranks

Submitted by Joe H. a Cross Country Rider from Buckley, Wa usa

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Strengths:    They shift well.

Weaknesses:    Teeth break at shift ramps.

Bottom Line:
I have two sets of LX cranks on different bikes. Both are 6 months old. Middle chain ring on 1 bike has broken a tooth adjacent to the shifting ramp. I'm sure it is from peddling it. I have a BS Ring God protecting it. My other LX is still performing with no broken teeth. Have all 3 rings on this one. Both bikes get alot of riding time. I replaced the broken one with a Truvativ and it shifts just as well. We will see about durability. Anyways I'll run the other LX until it breaks and then put my other Truvativ on I have sitting gathering dust. I am over 200lbs and exert alot of force. My riding consists of lurching, lunging and grinding uphills.

Favorite Trail:   Below Her navel.

Purchased At:   Jenson Usa

Similar Products Used:   Black Spire, Truvativ, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   LX Hollow tech cranks. Specialized HT's.

Submitted by Aiden Wrenn a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    Shift well, look nice, fairly light

Weaknesses:    Wear out quickly

Bottom Line:
Shift well, look nice, fairly light but wear out quickly. Not bad if you can afford to replace them every 6 months. I've replaced mine with TAs. Let's see how they go.

Favorite Trail:   Over the hills and far away