Race Face Team rings Chainring

3.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Race FaceTeam XC rings are lightweight chainringsThat have been designed for optimal performance, featuring Race Faces patented S.H.I.F.T.Technology, optimizing shifting performance by maximizingThe chainTo ring surface contact areas.TheTeam rings have been machine sculpted for maximum weight savings. CNC machined in Race Faces British Columbia, Canada manufacturing facility Outer, middle and aluminum inner rings manufactured from 7075-T6, one ofThe strongest alloys availableToday Outer

Submitted by bktrailrider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2013

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    wear quickly

Bottom Line:
I bought a 22T Race Face Team ring to replace a worn ring which was installed with a new chain. Worked great for a few months, but soon after the chain started slipping. A close inspection of the ring revealed teeth so worn they looked like the dorsal fin of a shark. I've used numerous race face rings in the past with no issues. I'm not a masher, and even on my SS have never worn a chain ring so fast.

Submitted by Jim H

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Shift well when new.

Weaknesses:    Wear out quickly. Middle chain ring busted a tooth.

Bottom Line:
You don't save any money when you buy this chainring set because when they quickly wear out, it affects your chain also. When you go to replace your chain, they're going to tell you that you need to replace the entire drive train. I got this set from my LBS on faith that they were selling me quality parts. My general impression is that there is no better substitute than going online and doing some reasearch before buying any components.

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Epic Comp

Submitted by casrec a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, machined not cast, Light weight!

Bottom Line:
I run this on a 1x9 and it works great. I wished my bash guard was big enough for a 40t though. Went with a 38t and it worked out well though. Anyways, it's a good chainring, Not much to say, it does it's job well and looks good and well made to boot!

Purchased At:   Bend Cyclery

Submitted by mike_d_1583 a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Shifts great, lightweight. I have only broken one bolt in a year of hard use and that was because it wasn't tightened all the way. Black

Weaknesses:    Stock bolts become creaky soon after use. I have used thread tape, and frame grease, stays quite for a little while, then starts with the creaking again. Need to check tightness of bolts regularly.

Bottom Line:
Good fast shifting chainring set which could use a better set of bolts. The shift ramps really help out when over bumpy trails. Stock these with solid steel or cro-mo, forget that alloy crap, and you'll have yourself a killer set of chainrings.

Favorite Trail:   Tower Park, KY

Similar Products Used:   Shimano square taper

Bike Setup:   2010 Banshee Viento

Submitted by rklimber a Weekend Warrior from erie usa

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Chainsuck on a new Rocky Mountain. No amount of sanding or polishing will eliminate chainsuck when going from middle ring to granny. Always hangs up on same tooth, looks like pitch is off.

Bottom Line:
These rings look cheaply made and are cheaply made. A lot of machining marks and sharp edges. I bought a high end bike and got bottom rate chainrings!
I would not recommend these chainrings for any reason.

Purchased At:   jenson

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude RSL 70 (2010)

Submitted by Montroseblur a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2010

Strengths:    Instant shifting, quiet and smooth

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good rings, fit up to Shimano cranks, seem very durable, lets see how they do a year from now.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Pinos

Purchased At:   Jensen USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Submitted by dkpaulett a Cross Country Rider from Rouen, France

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2009

Strengths:    Looks great. Very stiff. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Alloy inner wears quickly.

Bottom Line:
After 1500 km (approx 1000 miles) through mud, wind and rain, I can say that these rings perform superbly. The website description talks about their patented S.H.I.F.T tech and admittedly, they shift beautifully - way better than my original XT rings. I find myself using the largest ring more often now as it's effortless to shift to it. The middle and outer rings are wearing well - a lot better than my XT rings (which were about as stiff as a baking tray). However, the RF set I purchased came with an alloy inner ring, which wore out within 4 months (1000 km). I replaced it with a steel RF inner, which is more durable than the alloy.

Favorite Trail:   Foret Verte loop

Purchased At:   ChainReactionCycles.

Similar Products Used:   XT rings. Other RaceFace rings.

Bike Setup:   Lapierre Zesty 514 all mountain, 140 mm travel full suss.

Submitted by mojavehanna a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV. USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Look good, shift great, seem to be pretty stout.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on a set of these rings and even though some review them as crap... seems like people only hate in these reviews, I tried them. I am very pleased with them so far. They look cool, are lightweight and stiff. The shift nubs work good and they shift through the front rings very smoothly and quickly. They run smooth and quiet as long as you maintain your chain. I have'nt had them long enough to put a much wear on them but so far they are great. They fit perfect on my older RaceFace cranks. The small ring is steel... what more could you ask for?

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Vuelta, Shimano, etc.

Bike Setup:   GT LTS

Raceface rings: race vs team vs evolve

Because the best deal isn't always the lowest price... I need to replace my chain rings right now. As far as I understand, the race and the team model of the chainrings are in fact the same thing, just different color. How about the evolve? Does it wear quicker of suffer from worse shift performan ... Read More »