Race Face Chainrings Chainring

3.46/5 (137 Reviews)

Race Face RaceRings

Submitted by Jim H

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Shifted nice in the beginning.

Weaknesses:    Wears out fast.

Bottom Line:
I'm not much into maintenance, but my stock drive train lasted me 8 years of hard riding. When I upgraded, I upgraded the entire system- chainring/chain/sprokets. After only 3 years of riding my Raceface middle ring snapped a tooth in the middle chain ring. In my opinion, if I'm going to pay more money for "better" quality, it should be better quality.

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Epic Comp, Raceface chainring, Shimano Deore LX 105 chain, Shimano Deore XT M770 cassette, WTB Velociaraptor Tires

Submitted by Saddlesore a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    looks nice
shifts nice

Weaknesses:    delicate teeth
hard to set up derailleurs these days
not exactly 8 speed compatible.

Bottom Line:
I have the silver ones that came with my 2005 Deus Crankset.
They look good and shift well in all conditions when set up properly. I am a Cross country kinda guy, so I am not too hard on stuff.Setting them up properly was difficult for me. with the new style chainline that comes with external bearings, it is hard to get the Front mech ajusted perfectly. this leads to slow shifting and if you are really torquing the pedals: missing teeth. my middle ring is missing a couple teeth, which is expected for an aluminum middle ring, they are delicate.

Favorite Trail:   skogan pass

Similar Products Used:   older 8 and 9 speed raceface chainrings

Bike Setup:   santacruz blur with an 8speed XT/XTR setup XTR (8 speed cassette, connex 908 chain, these rings, 9speed XT derailleurs)

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Madison, WI, US

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    light, looks good

Weaknesses:    The chain breaks loose from the middle ring on climbs or when you torque the crank. It's a new shimano chain and my derailleur is properly adjusted, so that's not the problem

Bottom Line:
I have to try something else, unless I want to crack my knees every 5 minutes.

Bike Setup:   '04 stumpy hardtail

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Strengths:    Look great (but beauty is only skin deep)

Weaknesses:    They might be 15% lighter than the old design, but they seem 50% weaker - the teeth on the middle ring keep snapping off!

Bottom Line:
This review is for the newer design silver Racerings which came on mu Deus crankset. These rings look great, but the middle ring sucks. The teeth above the shift ramps keep breaking off. After the first warranty claim the local distributor checked chainline, chain wear, lubrication, and everything else, and gave me a new ring. One ride later I was making another call. It seems as if the Raceface designers have taken too much metal away from under the teeth immediately above the shift ramps. S.H.I.F.T technology? - get rid of the 'F' I recon.

Similar Products Used:   The older black canadian made Racerings (work fine), Raceface Prodigy (taiwanese)rings (very average), 04 XT rings (reluctantly I must admit they work best)

Bike Setup:   04 Enduro

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Moreno Valley, CA.

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    I just bought the X-type Diabolous Crankset for my new Intense 5.5 (i am a welder there) and the middle chainring throws the chain under a load. it looked ovalized. I returned it yesterday. We'll see how they deal with it.

Weaknesses:    The chainring.

Bottom Line:
Ilove RaceFace cuz i can't break them. Hopefully they send me a new chainring.

Favorite Trail:   24 hour course-Hurkey Creek

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace Prodigy DH

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 EVP, Red front, Ball burnish rear (you can do that when you work there :) XT Shifters & front d/r,XTR rear d/r, Azonic WF 1.5' risers, RaceFace Diabolous stem, Minute 2 130mm fork, 4 way swinger shock,Sun singletrack rims, avid mech disc 7',Specialized Roller Pro 2.3's, Chris King headset.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    Rigid, durable, great shifting, nice black finish, Canadian!!

Weaknesses:    Not cheap

Bottom Line:
Seems like a very good product, been using these chainrings going on 3 seasons now.Approx 3500km with some racing but not a lot. I'm 210 and ride a lot of steep hills. Middle chaingring is very spikey looking now and needs to be replaced, small ring is stll good and large ring also although it has some teeth missing(I ride over logs a lot).
I clean the drivetrain regularily and change the chain 2x a season.

Favorite Trail:   Dundas, Waterdown, Kelso

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   XT, Truvativ

Bike Setup:   SantaCruz Superlight loaded

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    good shifting, durable

Bottom Line:
I've had zero problems with these chainrings. I'm even bucking Shimano's advice and running a 20/32/44 set, which they say is too much for the derailleur, but no problems so far. I'm fastidious about keeping my drivetrain clean and happy, so maybe that helps. I've put about 3,000 miles on my bike and I've gone through a cassette (8-speed XTR and close to a dozen chains, but I'm still on my original rings. I think that replacing your chain before it stretches 1/8-inch is the key to keeping these rings happy. And even though I asked for 8-speed rings, the guys installed 9-speed, but it hasn't been a problem. I expect to get another thousand miles out of these before they need replacing.

Also, I'm 190-210 lbs. (depending on time of year) and ride a lot of hills, so I'm not exactly easy on these things. I would recommend them to anyone who'd rather replace chains than chainrings and cassettes.

Purchased At:   www.wrenchscience.com

Similar Products Used:   '99 LX rings, '94 and '98 STX rings

Bike Setup:   '01 Titus Racer-X, SRAM PC-68 chain, XT 8-speed front derailleur

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    wear well, light, look great and shift very smoothly

Bottom Line:
I raced and trained for a almost a full riding season on these rings, without any problems. By the looks of them, I'll likely get another couple of months out of them (training at least 5 days a week).
They have always shifted well and have stood up to collisions with the odd rock.
I will definately buy these rings again since they have served me so well...but I do know how to clean and lube a drive train....somthing I'm not so sure some of the other reviewers do.

Favorite Trail:   Gnarly

Purchased At:   Muskoka Bicycle Pro Shop in Huntsville

Similar Products Used:   Sugino and Shimano

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertex - Atom 80's, ST/XTR drive, RF turbine cranks, Cross Ride wheels

Submitted by rob a Cross Country Rider from seattle.wa

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Strengths:    Very durable crank arms nice smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    I usually ride 4X a week and after three weeks of riding with these chain rings, the middle chain ring lost two teeth and the small chainring was so bad with misaligned teeth that chain suck left me stranded on a lot of uphills. I was in such denial and disbelief that this type of problem would and can occur so early on in the purchase. Very dissatisfied with the product and the condescending warranty department.

Bottom Line:
Shifts nice and fast for a short while but I was truly unhappy with this product

Similar Products Used:   None ever

Bike Setup:   If you are a weekend warrior and ride maybe once a week then this is the product for you. If you are a frequent and serious rider who is accustomed to the rates at which equipment wares down, then you will be dissatisfied and surprised

Submitted by Aarre Laakso a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Strengths:    Solved my problem.

Weaknesses:    Don't know.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Race Face granny ring only because I had read online that replacing the granny ring would solve my problem. It worked!

Favorite Trail:   Mission Gorge

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Factory chainring on Iron Horse.

Submitted by Guy Wood a Cross Country Rider from Nr. Liverpool, England

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Great looks, great shifting

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've put about 350 miles on the bike in the month I've had them, mainly on the roads for training (including some really horrible granny ring climbs) and I haven't had any problems at all so far. Maybe this is because I have new Raceface rings? Maybe the earlier rings from the days of 21 and 24 speed transmissions are a bit thicker and do cause chainsuck with modern 27 speed narrower chains - who knows ???

Anyhow, I'll review again when I've a few more hundred miles on them. Btw, the shifting from the middle to big is superb, granny ring to middle is a fair bit slower.

Purchased At:   Chain reaction cycles, Ireland

Similar Products Used:   Very early XT cranks and rings, also PACE 7075 rings

Bike Setup:   Custom 'Dave Yates' cro-mo frame MTB. Rigid forks (eek!!). 2002 XT back wheel, cassette, derailleurs and shifter/brakelevers, SRAM PC-99 chain and Raceface Prodigy XC cranks and rings. Rest a mixture of X-lite, Hope, Shimano and Titec.

Submitted by Rick Stephens a Weekend Warrior from South Bend, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    These are some awesome rings. They are the fastest frontedn shifting rings I have ever had. They are worth more than I paid. Not only are they great in everyway, they are the longest lasting i have ever had.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Kickballs bike, with only kickballs components.

Purchased At:   House

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can compare to these rings.

Bike Setup:   I built my own useing the following: K2 3000, all Noleen Suspension, 3inch travel in rear, 5 inch travel in frontw/ double triple clamp. SRAM 9.0 shfiting, LX front derailer, Avid arch supreme v-brakes w/ boosters, raceface headset, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Mavic D-521 rims, limited Kucamonga cranks.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great shifting
High durability
Excellent warranty support

Bottom Line:
My '99 Rocky Mountain Instinct had a lot of trouble with the chain popping off the front when hammering technical sections in the granny when I first got the bike. Then a job change and move across the country caused me to not ride for more than a year. When I returned to riding, I didn't ride technical for a while. I finally got back to hammering this past summer and the chain started popping off. I tried the NGear inner chain guard (which helped) but still had the problem. Then I read MTBReviews of my bike where others reported the problem way back in 99 and said Race Face replaced their rings and the problem disappeared. Apparently the rings weren't quite right for the 9 speed setup. So I called Race Face and explained the situation. They had me ship the rings back. The package got stuck at the border, so the Race Face warranty guy sent new rings to me before mine got to him. Over 2 years after the fact! Outstanding service, eh?!!? And the best news of all - problem solved and I can hammer till my lungs explode! Great customer service seems so rare these day - THANKS, RACE FACE!

Favorite Trail:   rocky and steep

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by Hakan a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    Nice shifting, looks sharp

Weaknesses:    None so far but I have heard that the rings are a bit soft

Bottom Line:
Great so far. Flawless shifting with the XTR front derailleur. Heard the rings are a bit soft and not sure how long tehy will last

Purchased At:   Stock on bike