Race Face Bash Ring Chainring

4.83/5 (18 Reviews)

Race Face's new bash ring is available in compact, standard, and 4 bolt configurations. Manufactured from bombproof super thick heat-treated aluminium, this machined ring will protect your middle and inner ring from damage caused by rocks and logs. Also provides greater clearance to get over the steep drops. CNC profiling gives a 25% weight saving over generic 'cookie cutter' bash rings- at 140 grams, it's lighter and tougher than the rest.

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from Loganville, GA USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    Looks Amazing, easy install

Weaknesses:    weight if you are a real stickler but barely heavier than the 3rd chainring

Bottom Line:
i am a singletrack cross country rider and dont really need a bash gaurd but i dont use 3rd ever and wanted to gain some ground clearance, slightly heavier than 3rd but in my opinion well worth the clearance and looks

Favorite Trail:   1996 olympic trail

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   3rd gear

Bike Setup:   access xcl, full xt, easton bars seatpost

Submitted by Shane M. a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Very strong and by chance it also matched the color scheme on my bike and looks awesome

Weaknesses:    None that I've found thus far

Bottom Line:
This bashring is awesome. I was taking a 2ft log and bent my big ring and because I really enjoy the technical stuff I knew I wanted something sturdy and because I'm on a budget, something reatively cheap. This took care of both criteria. I've hit logs, rocks, stumps, and whatever else I could find to ride over and this thing hasn't gotten so much as a scratch. I'm a bigger guy too at 215 so I'm thoroughly impressed and I've been told I could break an anvil with the way I ride so I am really enjoying the freedom to take whatever comes my way. If you enjoy doing technical trails this is a must buy.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Internet

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Rock Magnet from East Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Strengths:    Takes punishment well, gives me the extra clearance I need.

Bottom Line:
I swapped out the large stock ring on my low-slung Stumpjumper after bashing teeth on everything I attempted to clear. I now am able to put in that extra effort needed to overcome the fear of large logs. When it does make contact, the guard is solid. I occassionally have to file down sharp burrs in the soft aluminum on the sweet spot, but this is what you get with light metal.

For folks worried about losing your high gears, this hasn't been an issue for me. Last week I hammered 24 miles on the local rail trail and was able to hold speeds of 20 mph on gentle downgrades without winding out.

Buy now and you too can send sparks flying off glacial erratics, fill the air with wood chips as you saw logs in two, and smear the guts of your favorite trailside roadk-ill. All for cheap!

Bike Setup:   SJ '05 100 Expert

Submitted by Ryder a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    Protects my chainrings, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Soft aluminum.

Bottom Line:
It's a slick lookin bash ring but it's made of pretty soft aluminum. I'v put some nasty gouges in mine. My frend weighs like 40 lbs more then i do and is way more abusive to his (2002)Hussefelt Bash Ring and it's just scratched up.

Purchased At:   cove bikes

Similar Products Used:   Hussefelt Bash Ring

Submitted by Jonathan Jung Jung from Wichita, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2004

Strengths:    It's strength is that is it is totally strong. Fairly lite-weight. Looks totally cool with the machined aluminum.

Weaknesses:    Looks to good, I almost don't want to use it.

Bottom Line:
Really strong, banged it on all kinds of stuff, and banged it hard. It's still totaly round, and in perfect condition. And it looks totaly awsome. (I've got the 34t version).

Purchased At:   My dad's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   My chainring.

Bike Setup:   Specialized P.2. Awsome bike.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    STRONG!

Bottom Line:
I've put this ring square into granite blocks on many sloppy hops. A battered ring is a happy ring. It's still dead straight. I just file off the barbed edges after each ride. Although the bike shop charged quite a bit for this, I figured I'd throw them the bone considering how much I purchase online and through ebay. It's still cheaper than rebuilding my crankset!

Purchased At:   bicycle link

Similar Products Used:   Large ring

Bike Setup:   00' Heckler-all custom.

Submitted by BOB a Cross Country Rider from Califronia

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    Strong. Simple to install. Did I say strong.

Weaknesses:    Chain rubs bash guard very slightly in 11 by 32 gear combo.

Bottom Line:
It works and it does a awesome job.I have a Salsa 44 tooth bashring on Race face cranks on my hardtail and it does a good job also.I have compared both and the Race face is stronger.The Salsa bash ring works well for occasional hits and is a great option if you want 44 tooth still.I The Race fcae is on LX cranks and is simply very strong and durable.
The Race face bash ring has been one of the best purchases I ever made.I love technical riding and do not miss the big chainring when riding serious technical riding.The gained clearance and the fact you can take a solid hit to the bashguard are invaluable.I do not understand why all trail bikes come with a bashring. I feel a bashring is a must if you like technical riding.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Bidwell

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Salasa 44tooth bash ring.

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg, Xt lx drive train, Race fce bash ring,Salsa semi rims,Marzochi Mx pro

Submitted by cory schumann a Cross Country Rider from colorado springs colorado

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    it is a strong piece of metal and protects your chain ring. The metal may look thick and all but it doesn't weight much at all. i love mine

Weaknesses:    you have to remove your third chain ring. but i never used mine much anyways

Bottom Line:
a very strong item that makes it possible to fool around on the local trails without bending a third chain ring everytime

Favorite Trail:   all around the springs

Purchased At:   pro cycling warehouse

Bike Setup:   giant xtc, sid rock shox front fork, hayes hydraulic disc, race face cranks, wtb tires and mavic rims, easton bars, xtr components

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Does what it's supposed to do.
Can't break or bend it.
Cheap.

Weaknesses:    ZERO. It's fine. But colors other than black for pimping out a bike maybe?? Nah.

Bottom Line:
Get the ring that fits your crankarm spider. Adjust your front derailleur to limit the 3rd shift (you can't force the chain over the bash gaurd anyway). Get your clearance for technical stuff. Stop riding fire roads and you won't miss the big ring!!

Similar Products Used:   Tooth Fairy Engagement Ring- HUGE, teeth on outer edge GRAB logs, annoying

Bike Setup:   2 ring setup for a long time now. I have NO use for the large ring. I have three large rings in a box now, sheesh.

Submitted by simon henry a Weekend Warrior from sydney, australia

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    everything... the frame is sick, forks are sick, cranks are sick, its a mad setup just as a it is standard. the standard australian rims (cos i think they are different from standard us ones or something, well they are alex mx single wall)but even for single walled rims they are bloody strong. the tires are pretty good for everything.

Weaknesses:    nothing yet but i am gonna buy some stronger rims i think

Bottom Line:
SICK BIKE! perfect for people between begginer and intermediate stage, probably more intermediate. it can do anything and can take a good bashing. i rekon this would have to be one of the best hardtail bikes i know of. it won the 2003 dirt jumping award and you can see how it won. i use it for pretty much everything... downhill trails, freeride (including drops), dirt jumping, and just cruising. its and awesome bike at a great price.

Favorite Trail:   manly dam, so far

Purchased At:   bike addiction

Similar Products Used:   mates kona stinky, mates norco sasquath, both 2003 models, and a mates 2001 (i think) norco bogfoot

Bike Setup:   australian standard, i think the only difference is the wheels which have alex mx single wall rims and innova redbox 2.35. 6 inch mechanical discs front and back

Submitted by BBMF a Weekend Warrior from Sydnay NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Everything!, everything about this bash guard is a strength..If you do not have one of these on your bike, you have no idea what your missing out on!..

It survived a 9 foot drop in Claymore without any sign of a bend, crack or scratch..

Weaknesses:    None!, no weakness to speak of!..

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, GET ONE!..

If you do not, you will be missing out on one of mtbing's greatest products!..

Purchased At:   Tahmoor

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar as nothing comes close..Blackspire?..Crap..

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive custom - Or "limited" for SV..

Submitted by Stenchy a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton, Florida

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Strengths:    strong, goodlooking, adds more clearance to bike. Enables you to slide right over any good size log or rock. Does not scratch to easily, fairly lite

Weaknesses:    none thus far

Bottom Line:
This thing has made me a better technical rider. I do not fear attacking any fallen tree or large rock that happens to be in my path. No more bent teeth and outer chainrings. I ride crosscountry only so I never really used the outer ring. All it did was create problems when trying to clear certain obstacles. Now you just slide right over like butter. No real loss of momentum. Buy this thing, it is one of the best additions I have added to my frame. I will never ride without one again.

Favorite Trail:   Markham, Oleta, Quiet Waters

Purchased At:   online, supergo, jenson, pricepoint