Race Face 9spd Chainrings Chainring

2.71/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by JAMES a Cross Country Rider from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2006

Strengths:    Look good

Weaknesses:    Not upto the job (granny ring excepted)

Bottom Line:
Onto my 3rd front middle chainring inside 1 year. As other posters have commented teeth snap off, they wear badly causing chainsuck and generally have little durability despite increased cost.

If i could fit a different set of chainrings onto my raceface cranks I would. Will probably change the cranks as well now. These are not value for money in my opinion.

Purchased At:   RUTLAND WATER CYCLING

Submitted by Z a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Look nice, Shifts nice

Weaknesses:    low quality?

Bottom Line:
after about 500 km and one race two teeth broke off the middle chain ring. It took me five more rides to figure it out as I have never broken a chain ring, ever. I ride that bike quite alot (4800km last year) and replace the whole drive line at each chain replacement (as I did with this, SRAM chain, SRAM cassette) and decided to try some new rings, as these were recomended. I am not a hard rider, all XC, long distance riding.

I am going to send this back to RF and see if they will replace it.

Purchased At:   the Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Shimano LX, Truvati

Bike Setup:   custom TI hardtail, Foxfloat RL, thompson stem/post, XT x07 shifters

Submitted by Rolf Sindoe a Cross Country Rider from Kolding, Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Cool looks, great functionality of new product.

Weaknesses:    Quality.

Bottom Line:
Middle ring lost a teeth after only 1000 K's in wet Danish summer weather w/o warning or caused by impact. Big ring and granny is semi-worn out at this point. I try and keep my bike clean and in good shape. I don't run old chains and I never abuse my chain riding odd gears. I will try and run Shi. chain rings on the RF Deus crankset. They may be a bit softer in alu. but I never experienced anything like a teeth breaking off the chain wheel with (much hated) Shi. Besides Shi. chain rings are a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of in Denmark ...

Favorite Trail:   Skamlingsbanken

Purchased At:   Cambridge Bicycles, Boston

Similar Products Used:   Shi. XT 750 and LX

Bike Setup:   Scott RC30 w. RF Deus XC and lots of diff. stuff.

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Boca Raton, FL

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Fragile

Bottom Line:
Broke a tooth on the first ride within 20 minutes. 22 tooth middle ring. Absolutely will never buy Race Face again.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Shimamo, Race Face

Bike Setup:   Salsa Caballero, full XT with Race Face cranks

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Strengths:    I found these rings to be strong and durable, and they perfomed excellently in mud. No chain suck. Silver RF rings on black crank arms looks awesome.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I havn't had any of the problems that some of the other people who reviewed these here had, and this year was extrodinarily wet, even for Ithaca, the #2 (I think) cloudiest city in the US. I also don't think the other Dan's review is at all fair since he has no idea what those rings were put through. There's no way that even the strongest chainringe won't bend if abused enough. And as for MTBer, I'm curious to know what chainrings you got more than a season of serious riding on, assuming you replaced them when you should have. I don't mean to be nasty; I'm just sticking up for a product that I'm completely sold on. I hope I didn't offend anyone, and I'm truly sorry if I did.

Purchased At:   QBP.com

Similar Products Used:   LX, TruVativ

Bike Setup:   Custom built Haro escape 8.2

Submitted by Don Nywening a Weekend Warrior from Wind Gap, PA USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2004

Strengths:    RaceRings vre very long-wearing. Shift beautifully in all conditions.

Bottom Line:
I ran the same set of racerings for four years without a problem. They had almost 2500 miles on them and were only replaced this week due to wear and age. Keep up with maintenance on your chain and cassette and they will give outstanding service. These are the best I have ever used.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT, Sugino, Syncros.

Bike Setup:   99 Raven

Submitted by Markus a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Look good.

Weaknesses:    Frequently cause severe chain sucks. Heavy (a set wheights some 50 grams more than comparable XT rings).

Bottom Line:
They work satisfactorily in dry and clean conditions. But beware of wet and muddy conditions - these rings will eat up your chainstay! (Yes, all of them have been mounted in the correct position.)

I like my frame, so I replaced them by XT Mega 9 compact rings. No problems since then. As I didn't change anything else, I blame it all on that poorly designed Raceface rings.

BTW: The XT ring set saved roughly 50 grams.

So 1 chili for not only being completely useless but also scratching my frame - and 1 chili only because I dont't have the choice to give no chili...

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT / XTR.

Bike Setup:   Race Face LP crankset which came with the 44/32/22 teeth 9spd chainrings under review, Shimano BB-UN72 110 mm, Shimano 9spd chain HG93, Shimano XTR front der. FD-M953.

Submitted by MTBer a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    Worked good for a year!

Weaknesses:    Only lasted a year.

Bottom Line:
These chain rings were pushed to the limits as far as weather goes. Lots of Rain, MUD and rocks. From Brevard, NC to Jim Thorpe, PA. I could of maintained them a bit better but until this year they worked flawlessly. So I take a bit of blame. I've just order another set of compact rings and will maintain them with this new wonder lube called Psycho Lube. Will see if they last longer.

Favorite Trail:   So far! Anywhere in Western, NC !

Bike Setup:   02' Giant AC Air Lite. Time Z pedals. Lock on ODI grips.

Submitted by Royce Volker a Weekend Warrior from onida,s.d

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    44T 32T look good,the matching cranks look great too.

Weaknesses:    middle ring is junk.I tore mine up in 3 hours.Brand new driveline and these things only lasted a frickin day,wheee!Im gonna love the repetition of replacing these babys.

Bottom Line:
These rings came on the prodogy cranks I bought.I have always thought of the cranks as good looking and thought all race face stuff was tuff,but I guess not their rings.Buy XT of even LX and leave your worries behind.Really I have hundreds of miles on my XT set up on another bike and probably 200 on my wifes cannondale rings and they have no where near the wear of the Race Face's.Even the suginos on my old hardtail are wearing better than these.Hey,even the old 7 speeders on my old Diamondback look to be in better shape.

Favorite Trail:   porccupine rim

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   XT,cannondale,sugino

Bike Setup:   cannondale jekyll with lefty,xtr,xt,magura,race face,profile,easton ct2,time,azonic,wtb

Submitted by Petter Magnussen a Cross Country Rider from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    Long lasting!

Weaknesses:    Price in Europa.

Bottom Line:
Just the best deal, for my Dollar. Canadien that is!
It is a long lasting product, that has given me alot of plesure for three months, now!
So take my word for it, you will not regreat it!

Favorite Trail:   Kimberley ski hill, BC.

Purchased At:   Calgary

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, but it was a pispoure investment.

Bike Setup:   At the moment, SRAM 9.0 SL

Submitted by Rob Fraser a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Strengths:    I got two year out of them. The only reason they wore out is because my cogset wore out.

Bottom Line:
STuPid hacks who burn out their cassettes are gonna buy alot of race rings. They pretty much wear at the same speed as your chain and cassette. If you ride shimano cogsets expect to buy alot of race rings. If you are like me and you ride the sram cogsets? Once every 2 years. You can feel your knees when it is time for change. There are several hundred riding hours on those things by now. I flipped my chain and cogset this week to realize it is gonna cost me a few bucks for the rings too. I got my money's worth outta the last set.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley, North Shore

Similar Products Used:   None are quite the same.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Elevation, Hayes, Raceface, Sram, Cane Creek, Maxxis, Mavic, Selle Italia & Swiss DT.

Submitted by steve verhoeven a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight and durable

Weaknesses:    not cheap

Bottom Line:
I dunno what the guys below are talking about, I've not found this to be the case at all. The chainrings are well beefy, last for ages and shift faultlessly. I ride in mud, sand, all sorts of crap and they wear better than all the rings listed above. I did lose a tooth on a (failed) log jump but sent it back to Race Face and they replaced it (cos it was right next to one of the shift pins). Can't ask for better than that!

Purchased At:   Cove Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, FSA, Black Spire, Middleburn

Bike Setup:   Cove Hummer with Fox Float forks, full XTR/Race Face finishing kit

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol CT USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    Work well when chainline is tuned, derailleurs adjusted properly, and all components of the drivetrain are new.

Weaknesses:    The middle ring, 32T, absolutely does not last

Bottom Line:
Poor wear, low mileage (under 500 miles) from the Race Face 9 speed middle ring (32 Teeth). I use this ring almost exclusively. It has not been muddy or wet here in Connecticut all year. I put this new crankset on my bike this Spring when building up. I removed the large ring (useless) and installed a RF bash Ring.
This is the SECOND middle ring I have worn out in short order. I always clean my drivetrain and lubricate. My chain is in excellent condition, yet the middle ring wear out FAST. When it finally goes, it gives no warning, your crankarm simply rotates through the chain and you crash into your toptube. After this happens the ring is useless, because the teeth are rounded over into nubs.
Most of the riders in the bike club I ride with use Shimano drivetrains, and never have these kind of wear problems, PLUS they ride a ton more miles than me. My last middle ring on my other bike lasted 468 miles (bike computer). This one lasted almost 500.
This aluminum alloy sucks, If I could find a steel replacement with the same 94mm BCD, I would install one.
No problems with the RF granny ring yet, it's steel and shows little wear at all.
Avoid RF rings. I just might buy a set of the new LX cranks with the splined interface, this means getting rid of my RF cranks and BB, but the middle rings are $30 each plus shipping. It's going to cost me $60 a year at this rate!!!

Bike Setup:   2001 GIANT NRS, Race Face Cranks and 9 speed rings, RF Bash Ring

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    ?

Weaknesses:    These chain rings bend.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used and after trying to adjust the front derailleur I found that the chain rings, at least the largest, is(are) bent. But, to be fair I don't know what type of use they got except that the last rider raced the bike.