Cycle Dynamics Ti Inner Chainring Chainring

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Cycle Dynamics Ti Inner Chainring

Submitted by Francois Begin a Weekend Warrior from Chicoutimi

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Strengths:    My god they last forever!

Weaknesses:    Does not shift like Shimano but not bad at all

Bottom Line:
Read my lips: I will never buy again aluminium rings. I use the middle and the small rings and they cost less than "good" aluminium rings, last three time as long and weight about the same. Call the guys in BC! 24$ small 35$ middle. By the way: no chain suck period! Thanks Cycle Dynamics.

Favorite Trail:   Sagamie(21)

Purchased At:   Direct from cycle dynamics

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Blackspire

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro with toffee tire and marshmallow suspension

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Strengths:    Light and tough!

Weaknesses:    A bit spendy, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
I'm actually reviewing the ti middle ring, I got a great deal on a Syncros little ring so I used that when I built my bike. After 9 months, the Syncros is showing wear on the teeth, but the CD ti ring looks brand new. Just upgraded to 9-speed, so I'm tossing the Syncros and ordering an inner ring from Cycle Dynamics.

Purchased At:   Cycle Dynamics

Similar Products Used:   Syncros hardened aluminum ring, Ritchey rings

Bike Setup:   Magnesium hardtail, 8 speed

Submitted by Greg B a Weekend Warrior from Erindale Village

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2005

Strengths:    Light, strong, shifts great, ti sex appeal, lasts longer, skilled craftsmanship instead of stamped by a machine, fairly inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    No outer big ring available.

Bottom Line:
Only a few rides but great so far. New chain and cassette doesn't hurt either I'm sure. I'm 195 Lbs and spend 99% of the time in the middle ring, under some heavy torque. Aluminum middle rings never made sense. Suggest anyone use them, no drawbacks unless you ride just a few times per year. Maybe this is premature, if so I'll send another update later (everyone is usually enamored with a new purchase right?).

Favorite Trail:   Uncle Hilty

Purchased At:   Cove Productions

Similar Products Used:   Shimano. Aluminum middle rings wear too easily.

Bike Setup:   Giant AC, Marzocchi Pro MX ETA 120 mil, XT shifting, Sram chain/cassette, Hayes Hydro discs, Berzerker seat(best cheap improvement), Time pedals. Eats technical trail.

Submitted by Kent a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, light. Sweet, sweet, Titanium!

Bottom Line:
Just ordered a second set of these for my back-up bike. Paul at Cycle Dynamics was once again a real pleasure to do business with. I ordered Thursday and got my rings the following Tues., all the way from BC to Maryland! I should clarify my pricing from my first post, $85 is what I paid for both the inner and middle ring. I think the break down was approx. $35 inner and $50 middle. If you are tired of replacing chains and chainrings every couple of months, get these, you'll save money in the end. Not only are they stronger and lighter, your chain life will increase as well! Like a King headset, these are a must on every bike.

Purchased At:   cycle dynamics

Similar Products Used:   See my other review

Bike Setup:   See my other review

Submitted by Kent a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2005

Strengths:    I bought both the 22t and 32t rings for my Cake 3dlx and run a bash guard in place of the 44t. These chainrings are amazing, they still don't show any wear after 6 months of riding 3 times/wk. They shift great and seem to have cured my chainsuck issues that were associated with the oem chainrings. Bottom line; I don't ever think about them, that's how good they are. The folks at Cycle Dynamics were very friendly and got my rings to me in less than a week from BC to Maryland! I've read reviews from others suggesting that these rings will be around longer than the bike you put them on and I believe!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a great product. Initial cost is higher than standard rings but my friends have been through 3 sets to my one and I'm confident I'll outlast another 3 sets of theirs! If they ever make a 24t and 26t inner chainring, I'm buying, again!

Purchased At:   cycle dynamics

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xt and whatever junk Fisher spec'd on the '05 Cake.

Bike Setup:   '05 Cake 3dlx, Reba Team U-turn w/poploc, fsa carbon riser bars, Titec carbon seatpost, Crossmax XL w/Hutchinson Bulldog UST's, XT 2-pc cranks, king headset, xt rapid rise rear der., xt cassette, hayes hfx-9 hydro discs.

Submitted by Gerry Zepeda a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, light

Bottom Line:
I love this chainring. Very durable, the customer service from the company is great!! I got sick and tired of going through ring after ring on the Shimano side. In addition I bought a couple of cogs for the rear cassette and it rides soo smooth. The Investment is worth it.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by doug a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Strengths:    precision sprocket, good value

Bottom Line:
this ring (22 tooth) has performed perfectly. i never have chain suck and it shows little wear. the steel ring my Turbine LP came with deformed and was a problem very quickly. it was too soft. aluminum rings wear more than the Ti. a good steel ring would wear the best but i don't know of any. anyway, i put pretty high loads on this thing and it has held up way better than i thought it would. i highly reccomend it.

Purchased At:   22.00

Similar Products Used:   raceface and shimano steel and aluminum

Bike Setup:   racer x set up nicely

Submitted by Noctal a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Low wear, reasonable weight and great price.

Weaknesses:    Slightly worse shifting than top of the line Shimano

Bottom Line:
If you are tired of fast wearing Aluminum rings try these out. You are guaranteed to notice the longer duration. Under adverse conditions they seem to be less prone to suck.

Quite often they will take more crank angle to shift than top of the line Shimano.

I will never go back to Shimano middle and granny as long as these rings are on the market.

I would have given it 5 overall if they shifted just a little better.