Core Rat Original North Shore Ring Chainring

4.83/5 (18 Reviews)
Weight : 95g. MSRP : $20.00

• For extreme technical riding,and bicycle trials Replaces your big ring to gain extra ground clearance,while protecting your middle ring(32T)
  • Makes sliding over logs, rocks, and big drops smooth!
  • Light weight (95 grams), yet very strong
  • Available in five bolt "Compact" size ,and 4 bolt configurations
  • "Cut out" style (pictured) or "non cut out" for cranksets with a chainring bolt behind the arm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ed from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2004

Strengths:    Design makes sense.

Weaknesses:    Not currently available from Corerat in 4 hole configuration - pester Angie to stock it again.

Bottom Line:
    When I looked at other bash guards, the designs did not make sense to me... maybe they just spot face each bolt hole to save CNC machining time?

This one made sense, but was only availible in 5 hole models with a smaller center crank hole... Decide to get this one anyway and modify it.

Used old big ring as a template on the proud side of the new bash guard to locate the drill tip. Duct taped everything together and everywhich way for safety. Used a dremel with a glass cutoff saw to releive for longer crank arms around each bolt hole. Use a file for final fit. Works good - all bolt holes have 360 edges save one. It has the edges that matter.

Who should buy this ring? People with 5 hole cranks. People who don't own a milling machine and want a bashguard that makes sense.

Who should not buy a bashguard? People who live on the big ring. People who never crash or go over obstacles. People who are not able to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Hood River, OR

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    - Burly.
    - Lightweight (same grams as the RaceFace 44t chainring it replaced).
    - Inexpensive.
    - Works great!
    - Excellent personal service from Angie at corerat.
    - Makes me look like a cooler rider than I actually am.

Weaknesses:    - Not quite big enough to cover the teeth on my Syncros 34t chainring. They stick out a little bit, but are probably protected enough to keep them from getting snapped off. Of course, I only paid $10 for the chainring....
    - A little tight on the installation on my RaceFace Next LP crankarm. I think the Next LPs are a little thicker than some of the other RF crankarms. Besides, it's my problem, because the product was probably not designed to be stuck on a lightweight XC crank. I'm only 145lbs, though, so I'm not in danger of snapping anything.
    - As noted in previous reviews, those of us who are slaves to color coordination would like the guard to be manufactured in black.

Bottom Line:
    This product was recommended to me by some of my FR friends, as I have started to ride more logs, stunts, and rocks, and the low BB of my Slayer was throwing my large chainring into obstacles.

Angie's product was the best-priced and lightest guard out there. Her personalized service was top-notch, and I perfer to support small, (regionally) local businesses when I can.

It seems a little strange to compare one bashguard to another, since most probably function in a similar manner. Therefore, you need to make a decision based on price, weight, and durability. Do this, and you'll see that corerat's product definitely comes out on top!

Purchased At:   corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   RM Slayer with Fox TALAS.

Submitted by Richard Westbrook a Weekend Warrior from Garner, NC USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Works great. Very stong and lightweight.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
    Can't beat it for the money. Easy ordering over the phone. Shipped right to my door.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam Trails

Purchased At:   mail order over phone

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel.

Submitted by Thom Iverson a Cross Country Rider from Kirkland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    It works! Its the cheapest by far. Lightweight, Clean and simple design

Weaknesses:    No model for the XTR folks. It just needs an eighth to quarter inch of meat added all around to protect the chain on a 32th going over soft stuff. Maybe needs a "ratchet" edge model option.

Bottom Line:
    this is NOT just for "extreme" riders!!! This will instantly boost a beginner or intermediate rider to heights beyond their dreams, easily riding over stuff that would send them flying with their huge, toothed, log grabbing ring. This thing just slides over the tough stuff. Light, but seems tough, so far. And no more punching holes in the back of your calf with that grit encrusted, razor sharp, big ring teeth, when you bail.
    Plus that simple design, with exposed area, gives you space to add your own custom chosen decals. (I added my "For animal testing only" sticker):-)
    I would have given 5 flamers, but I really agree with the review that if you ride soft stuff in what is suddenly your "big" ring, you are really hammering and loading that chain. No prob if you are only slamming while in the small ring. Angie says not enough demand to support a model for the funky XTR crank design, which bums out my friends. I would think a slight half-tooth/ratchet with a SLIGHTLY larger diameter would be good for crawling over slick logs, but I could be wrong. ( I did send angie a CNC ready CAD model of a possible design to test...since I am an engineer)
    GET one of these! Best deal on the market. Allow at LEAST 2 WEEKS For air mail shipping, even if you are only few miles over the border in the Seattle area. Not Angie's fault... Its an international shipping gate to cross.

Favorite Trail:   Snoqualmie Ridge

Purchased At:   www.corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   BIG ole honkin' Rock Ring. Tacoed the original chainring on my new FSR the first ride.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp with twist grips, and Avid mech discs. A clean Log Crawler, for Shoulder Bashin'trails.

Submitted by Andreas Schueller from Oakland, California

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, effective design. Light and strong. Bullet-proof industrial styling looks great, especially when dirty and nicked.

Weaknesses:    The core rat logo stuck to the machined-out face is only a vinyl sticker. Sounds inconsequential because it is. I had to think of something.

Bottom Line:
    This bashring slides easliy over large logs. Vastly better (no comparison, actually) than using an old chainring to protect the 32T ring. The price is amazingly low, and the product performs perfectly. I miss my big chainring a bit -- mainly because I often ride roads to get to the trails, but it's been a small sacrifice. I've used this ring to make my technical trail riding and stunts better and a lot more fun, and it's easy enough to swap it for the 44T before the epic cross country rides.

Favorite Trail:   any trail in Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   corerat.com direct

Similar Products Used:   Worn chainring.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 3000sx. Pretty much stock except for Sun Ringle flat pedals (half the time) and this bashring.

Submitted by Brian Stearns a Cross Country Rider from Old Lyme Ct. USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Strengths:    Strong easy to install

Weaknesses:    NONE Except shipping from British Columbia to New England takes a while.

Bottom Line:
    My Son Brian saw one at a Cannondale demo @ Bluff Point Groton CT. I got on the web and found Core Rat right away.
    It works great it gave him the extra clearance for picnic tables rocks and logs etc .which he likes doing.

Favorite Trail:   Hartman Park Lyme Ct.

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   2001 GT I Drive 2.0 Shimano XT Discs

Submitted by Steven Shope a Weekend Warrior from Newfields, NH USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    light, simple design

Bottom Line:
    solid product

Favorite Trail:   BLT - Exeter, NH

Purchased At:   core rat direct

Bike Setup:   I only use my middle ring, and I used two of these to make a sandwich to keep the chain from falling off during drops etc. I had to do a bit of "home machining" on the inner ring, but it works slick.

Submitted by Justin Cafferty a Downhiller from Moscow, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Strengths:    Looks strong, not as strong as the raceface bash guard I have, but strong none the less.

Weaknesses:    Need to get some different colors. Silver doesn't match my bike too well. OTherwise, nothing.

Bottom Line:
    For the price, you just can't beat this ring. It weighs less than the large chainring that it replaced, although that doesn't matter much to me as long as it holds up. I anticipate no problems with durability, and if anything does go wrong I'll make another post to let yall' know. Angie was a dream to deal with, and I owe her much thanks for helping me get the right sized ring. Thanks Angie!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   corerat.com

Similar Products Used:   race face bash guard.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC frame, marzocchi z-3 qr-20 hub, avid discs, raceface seatpost, stem, etc., sun mammoth wheels, xt hubs and deraillers, etc...

Submitted by Tom C from VT

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    Super burly, I weigh 210 pounds and haven't broken it...Angie can fit any bolt pattern/crank style, even standard cranks. Unobtrusive look, plain aluminum.

Weaknesses:    Yeah right.

Bottom Line:
    Again, another top quality product from Angie Ho and CoreRat. Awesome for trialsy, Shore-style riding, I use it dh'ing as well, but don't get to top speed cause the ring replaces the big ring--I don't care. It's easy to switch out for those more competitive, but I ride for fun, and Angie's gear always holds up to every bit of abuse I can dish out.
    THe ring is the best on the market, I've checked them all out and Angie's is the best hands down.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Girvin rock ring; Truvativ Aeroguard; many others

Bike Setup:   Planet X, Stratos.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from SLO, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Incredibly lightweight
    Looks bomber
    6mm outer 2mm inner idea is great

Weaknesses:    a little too small in diameter

Bottom Line:
    I love the design, but am unfourtunately experiencing a small problem...I run a 32T ring with chain, and for hardcore trials usage, I am sometimes finding that the couple millimeters or so of clearance between the chain on the middle ring and the bashgaurd is not enough. For instance, say I'm doing a pedal up to bashguard onto a picnic table from one of the ends. I hop a little too high, and therefore land rather hard into the soft wooden table, almost losing my balance to the left, and causing my bashring to dig into the wood a little bit. I look down, and see that my chain has just been crunched as well, from the wooden splinters that are now present in the chain. I understand that one of the objectives when designing the bashring was to give the rider as much clearance as possible, but isn't protecting the chain a rather important objective too?

Otherwise, besides not being offered in any colors, it's a great product, and angie is a great person to buy from. It's extremely lightweight for a bashring thanks to the hollowed out design and it fits my FSA/Sugino bolt-style cranks!

Similar Products Used:   Blackspire Ring God

Bike Setup:   stock trials

Submitted by Drew from La Grange, IL 60525

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, ground clearence, cheap, customer service, made by mountain bikers for mountain bikers, and gives my ride a sweet look in the lot.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    For a long time I contemplated putting a bash ring on my bike. I guess I wasn't ready to part with my seldom used big ring. Well once it bent I called Angie at Core Rat and boy am I glad I did. The North Shore ring bolted on perfectly. I took it on its first ride today and I cannot get over what a difference it made. I gained about an inch of ground clearence. It worked so well in the technical sections I felt like I was cheating some how. I did not long for my big ring once. The biggest help was when I was three hours into my ride and I came upon some 8 inch logs. I was to tired to hop em' so I rolled right over at speed. I would have trashed another big ring if I had gone that route. Thank you Core Rat.

Purchased At:   Direct from Angie

Bike Setup:   2000 FSR Enduro Comp

Submitted by Glen a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA,USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    I had to file it down to fit my 4 hole Raceface Cranks.

Bottom Line:
    I had been meaning to put a bash guard on my previous bike and never got around to it. I bought the Giant a few months ago and within a week I had bent the large chainring. I shopped around for a bash guard and they were all a lot more expensive and the LBS did not have them in stock. I would have had to wait twice as long as I did for the Core Rat. Core Rat is great to deal with and she got the order out right away. I know that the ground clearance and the fact that it is smooth has made a significant difference because I have not noticed any banging on things(no news is good news). It gives you a lot more confidence to really go for it without worrying about damage to the large ring.

Thanks Core Rat. I will buy more products from them.

Purchased At:   Core Rat