Blackspire Super Pro Chainring

4.12/5 (51 Reviews)

Save when you purchase all 3 rings in one fell swoop. Super Pro rings are ramped and pinned for smooth, reliable shifting. CNC aluminum construction

Submitted by J.R.

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2014

Strengths:    One chain ring setup and it's sweet.

Weaknesses:    Two chain ring setup for a 2X9 and forget it. You will get chain rub from the lower toothed chain ring to the higher toothed chain ring. Even with a 50mm chain line and I was still disappointed. I ended up trashing the 2X9 setup and settled on a 1X9 until my next build. Had I known this I would have just gone with an XT 2X10 groupset. I wasted a lot of time and money between chain rings, bash guard, cassette, rear derailleur, trying to keep it 2X9.

Bottom Line:
I would only consider the product should I ever wish to build a single chain ring system. The build quality is there, it just wasn't thought out for double or triple setups.

Submitted by Mart

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Works great on a 9 speed ssytem

Weaknesses:    Very poor shifting on 10 speed dynasys system. "Hang" between the outer and mid chain ring and had very often chainsuck on the 10 speed system. Contacted Blackspire but they wouldn't listen. Came with facts that the teeth's of original 10 speed chain rings are smaller but didn't listen to that.

Bottom Line:
If you are still with a 9 speed mtb no problems at all. If you use 10 speed gear don't by it! TA and other manufactures made original 10 speed rings and not the combined 9/10 speed which the blackspire is. It shifts horrible on a 10 speed gear bike. Also customer support is worse.

Submitted by ppfeifer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    Function as advertised.
Great Price.

Weaknesses:    None noted.

Bottom Line:
Bought these chainrings to modify my Jet9 from a 1x10 to a 2x10 using an older Shimano XT 9 speed triple crankset. Installation was simple and the rings fit perfectly. Durability seems to be good. The anodizing wears off the teeth quickly but I don't mind. Shifting is nice and smooth. I had some chainsuck issues but it was my fault and not chainring incompatibility. Since I've fixed adjusted my setup, shifting has been great. I highly recommend these chainrings.

Favorite Trail:   Quantico

Duration Product Used:   4 Months

Purchased At:   ChainReaction

Similar Products Used:   OEM Shimano chainrings

Bike Setup:   Jet9 2x10 with Shimano XT components

Submitted by Rapidtrax a Racer from Haverhill, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    The Blackspire Super Pro offered the correct bolt circle to fit my Raceface Deus crank set 104/64 in 32/22 teeth

Weaknesses:    Poor shifting quality. The chain drops off the middle ring to the granny ring with a clunck when shifted. Adjustment could not smooth it out. Also you must make approximately a 120 degree rotation before the chain moves down. To much for my liking. Up shifts to the middle ring clatter. This is definately not on par with Raceface rings. The base material for the granny ring is thicker than a Raceface ring though the counter bores for the ring bolts are similiar in depth. The result is that the granny chainring bolts are more inboard and interfere with the lower pivot bolt on my Intense 6.6. This is really bad!!!

Bottom Line:
These rings are a good stop gap product if you can not locate the real deal Raceface chainrings but dont expect the identical performance. These babys fall short in all respects. 4F Form, Fit, Function the big F for failure.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Deus w/Race Rings, and Raceface Turbine rings and in my ealier days shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6, MRP LRP, 36mm Talas 160 RC2, Raceface Deus, Crank brothers eggbeaters, WTB Velociraptors currently, Sram 990; 991, X.0 deraileurs and shifters, Juciy Carbons, carbon bar and seat post, Havoc AM wheels

Submitted by jrsbike a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Quality manufacturing, tough and takes a hit.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 24 and 34 Super Pro to set up a 2x9 with a XT 770 crankset. I have 9 speed XT derailleurs and chain. This shifts beautifully and dependably; far better than the stock XT rings I had before. Before I got a chainguard I whacked a few rocks and the rings took the hits without a problem. I'm a believer! I think the naysayers just don't know how to set up a bike and understand compatibility.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in New England

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider: mostly XTR/XT; Formula brakes

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, attractive, long lasting, shift almost as well as Shimano.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shift quite as well as Shimano.

Bottom Line:
Great chain rings which last longer than any others I've owned.
Just got my last set from Jenson USA for $88.00 for all three rings!

Similar Products Used:   Raceface, Shimano, FSA, Blackspire, Cycle Dynamics, etc.

Submitted by wu-wei a Cross Country Rider from Kauai, HI

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    The box they come in is recyclable.

Weaknesses:    Shifts like a senile grandmother with Parkinsons. Wears out like your sister on prom night.

Bottom Line:
Even when brand new these things shifted poorly (amazingly slow engagement). I don't know why I lived with them for a few months but after only about 800 miles of fairly hard mtb and some road riding, the middle and smalls rings are shark-toothed and done. I replaced the chain at the same time as these rings, and I never run a chain wear with excessive stretch.

I also keep my drivetrain clean. The fault with this early wear and weak shifting lies solely with whatever cheap metal or process blackspire uses. Never have I given 1 chile, but never before have I had such a crap component. You could get these for $20 and they'd still get 1 chile for value. Awful!

Purchased At:   blue sky

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (xt/saint), Race Face, Truvativ

Bike Setup:   Kona Coil, shimano drivetrain

Submitted by CBL a Racer from Redmond, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    extremely durable and good shifting

Bottom Line:
I put about 2'500 miles a year on my bike, commute to work all year in rainy Seattle, and race this bike in both cross country mountain and cyclocross mudfest races. This chain ring had barely noticeable wear after 1 year of hard use. Fantastic product. No shifting issues.

Purchased At:   bikeparts.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, FSA

Bike Setup:   Shimano LX crankset 22x32x44

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    strong, light, durable

Weaknesses:    doesn't shift on my bike

Bottom Line:
I bought a 104-32 (middle) Blackspire SuperPro to replace my wearing XT one. I replaced the chain at the same time with a top-of-the-line SRAM PC-991. My front der is a 2006 XT.

I tested it on my street. 100% of middle->small downshifts chattered and stalled for 3 or four full revolutions before shifting down, and 30% of them dropped right down to the bike frame. Half an hour of front der cable tension and limit adjustments yielded equal or worse (100% dropping) results. Small->middle upshifts always were perfect.

I put my wearing chain and XT chainring back on, and 98% of the middle->small downshifts were instantaneous and perfect, as were the small->middle upshifts.

MEC allowed me to return the chainring.

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Simano XT

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek 8500 with 2006 XT front der and new SRAM PC-991 chain

Submitted by P a Cross Country Rider from ATL

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    shifts well, durable, significantly under the price of the Shimano replacement rings

Weaknesses:    If you are overly concerned with counting grams, these may be a little heavier than Shimano, but I'm not sure. It just feels thicker.

Bottom Line:
Cant say anything about small or big ring Blackspires but the 32 tooth (middle) rings are working great for me. Im roaching the XTR 960 middle rings in less than 4 months. Been riding these for 3 months and I can hardly tell they have been used. I have not noticed any decline in shifting performance.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhotti

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, Race Face, Bontrager (crap)

Bike Setup:   Running the 32 tooth rings on two bikes with XTR 960 cranks.

Submitted by charles a Cross Country Rider from holland

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    performance, durability, workmanship, looks.

Weaknesses:    performance slightly below original shimano.

Bottom Line:
In my opinion, these are the best replacement rings for shimanos. With XT rings, i've experienced some chainsuck, hence the replacements. Since then, no more problems, no matter how much mud they got on them. I use them in conjunction with XT cranks, HG 93 or CN 7701 chain, and XTR front derailleur. I use the large en middle ring, since i hardly use my granny. Shifting performance is slightly below XT rings, say 5 percent less, but they outperform shimano in workmanship, finish and durability. If you are looking for a good alternative for shimano rings, this is your best bet.

Similar Products Used:   XT and other shimano stuff.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Long Island, NY USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Strengths:    sweet looking

Weaknesses:    crappy shifting, dropped chains

Bottom Line:
i really wanted to like these. they look sweet in all black machined finish, they're NOT shimano, but they simply dont shift that well. and i use all my rings it wasnt the setup either. in three consecutive weekends i had violent chain droppages and skips during jumps and wheelie drops leaving me with bloody knees and no confidence in my drivetrain. I'm switching back to Shimano just to confirm my suspisions.

Purchased At:   go-ride

Similar Products Used:   XT rings

Bike Setup:   '01 Enduro trailbike

Submitted by Bruce Bunn a Racer from Plattsburgh, NY

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Strengths:    Bought a whole set for my 751 XT cranks. I have immediately noticed improved performance. Less flex and noticebly smoother shifting than XT replacements that I have bought (I have been through 3 middle rings this season) Hopefully they are as durable as others have claimed. They look good

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
So far far superior performance, obviously will need time to tell on durability. I am a strong, low cadence at times, ring bending racer and these are noticibly stiffer than XT.

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   2004 Sugar race frame. Wippermann chain. XT cassette. XTR front and rear.

Submitted by LArs from AZ

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    Smooooth! Silent. Strong. wide-milled middle ring keeps chain from dropping between rings.

For SuperPro wide-milled middle and stainless granny on 2x9 speed:

Weaknesses:    Spendy!

Bottom Line:
Sweetest rings I've used in ten years of riding.

Would give 5 + 5, but too spendy so they get a 4 in value.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shizmano, sugino...

Bike Setup:   32lb light FR, argro trail 6x6

Submitted by joe therider a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    i honestly cantremember howmuch i paid 4 these, they were priced in line with raceface. They are great shifting and last a real long time. After one year they still have alot of life left to them and are shifting consistantly

Weaknesses:    i cant think of any...the small ring was machined for an 8 speed drivetrain, i ofcourse got horrible chainsuck,after calling them they replaced it immediatly, and were apologetic for the mistake, those polite Canadians...such a nice change from the arrogant cali attitudes i get so tired of.

Bottom Line:
some people were b1tching about the finish wearing off and other silly crap, get over it, this is a wear item, that means IT WILL NOT BE PRETTY FOREVER (personally im suspect of any mtnbike thats too clean or new looking, u know why)These rings have taken alot of real world abuse...log crossongs, rocks, snow, mud, sand, anything u can think of, and alot of it, i ride year around, and in season do 60 to 100 mi per week. I like these rings and thay have never let me down.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   shimano, raceface, real(crap)!

Bike Setup:   yes, infact i'm riding today, thanx for asking.

BlackSpire Super Pro Chainrings

Hello, I would like to ask you, if you have used and know more about the BlackSpire Super Pro Chainrings. I have a XTR Crankset converted for 2 rings with Specialites chainrings and the inner is too used for a new chain. If I'll change it with BlackSpire is it ok? Did anyone tried it? Th ... Read More »

2x9 ideal setup for 29er: Middleburn RS7/Phil Wood BB vs. XTR970/Blackspire Super Pro

Hi, I like to run a 2x9 setup with 26 or 27T Inner and 38T Outer chain rings on my 29er. I am looking for a clean and quality setup with good chain line. Here are a couple of options I am looking at. Does anyone have experience with either? Please help. A) Middleburn RS7 Duo cranks with Phi ... Read More »

Super cheap $ 1040.00 Gary Fisher Hifi Pro 29er 2009

[B]SCAM[/B] inside beware! Not legitimate store. Super cheap Gary Fisher Hifi Pro 29er 2009 $ 1040.00 [url]http://www.korekshop.com/gary-fisher/mountain-bikes/gary-fisher-hifi-pro-29er-2009/prod_98.html[/url] [b]DO NOT[/b] Enjoy&Cheers! DCRead More »

2010 Blackspire m970x super pro

Looking for the 36/24 combo with 11-34 cogset for the 29er. Do i need spacers?Read More »

Mixed reviews on Blackspire Super Pro chaing rings

Are there any other chainrings to consider? I see the shifting performance on the blackspire rings seem to vary from great to terrible. I'm planning on switching my Noir cranks to a 2x9 24/36 combo, so I will want the rings to be ramped.Read More »