Blackspire Mono Veloce Single Speed Chainring Chainring

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Looking for a singlespeed ring for XTR? Blackspires Mono Veloce chainrings are perfect for singlespeeding!No ramps or pinsToThrow your chain - just pure 7075 aluminum for a long life,made in Canada. For best results, use an 8 speed chain. Jenson USA stafflikeThe SRAMPC-68 Compatibility: ChooseThe patternThat matchesThe BCD and drilling of your cranks Intended use: Singlespeed, Fixed Gear

Submitted by sjpendleton a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Round, durable, good tooth profile, works great as a 1.x or as SS

Weaknesses:    None that I've seen

Bottom Line:
When I used it it was great. The chain engages great on 1x9, even on the ends of the cassette. I used a Paul Chain Keeper which kept the chain on, but it didn't even try to skip under pedaling load. Great chainring in that respect.

I just pulled this 32T ring off after a year and a half and ~1500 miles of riding and aside from the dirt, it's nearly pristine. There is no visible wear on the teeth. They're not finned, there's no side wear, nothing (totally unlike that Vuelta SS ring I used for 6 months that wore through half the teeth from the side in that time). I only pulled it off because I'm going to a 34T ring on this bike. I ordered a E13 Guidering for that because I can get it in red ano (I'm vain), but if that wears out I'm going back to the Blackspire because I know it's bomber.

It's also a good value, it's one of the less expensive chainrings out there.

Favorite Trail:   Placerita/Los Pinetos

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Vuelta SS chainrings (not happy with them)

Bike Setup:   1x9 Acess 29er frame with Reba

Submitted by boroef a Racer from Toronto, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    -overbuilt, beefy construction
-7075 alloy (stiff!)
-precisely machined teeth
-round
-relatively inexpensive

Bottom Line:
I never review things, but this thing surprised me so much that it warranted that I should let others know about this great product. This chainring is relatively inexpensive (compare this to any other quality 130bcd ring and you will see what I mean), and is extremely well built. Not only is it overly built, but it's built of a very stiff alloy--7075. 7075 is traditionally more difficult to work with than 6061, but is stiffer.

This ring is totally round. This may sound strange, but having own a large number of various rings, not all of them are round. Infact, many of them are not. The machining tolerances on this ring is extremely high. This lead to the quietest my drivetrain has ever been. I literally only hear my tires humming on the pavement. The drivetrain itself is noticably smoother than before. Take note that many things affect drivetrain smoothness: chain tension, lubrication, roundness of cogs/rings, straightness of axles, chainline etc. I put this ring on my existing setup and immeditiately noticed an improvement.

Bottom line: dont want to spend big for a quality component? Look no further than Blackspire. I've never heard of them but wow, I will go to them if I need anything else. In this day and age where garbage sells and cost cutting is king, Blackspire put out a great component (the best ring I've ridden!) at low cost.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere on the road

Purchased At:   mec