Blackspire Chuck Chainring

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Blackspire CHUCK rings are made of .316 stainless steel. Designed for 8/9 speed, these tough grannys will help prevent "chain suck".

58 BCD : 20 | 22 | 24t
64 BCD : 22 - 74 BCD : 24

Submitted by BL a Weekend Warrior from Concord, NH

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    One of the few stainless steel granny rings available

Weaknesses:    Not good enough

Bottom Line:
First off, I need to say that I weigh around 240 dressed (and I bike dressed). Second, ever since I got a Wipperman Stainless Steel chain, I've been burning through granny gears like they were made of cheese. I ride on sandy, muddy trails and I guess the combination is too much for these rings. The Blackspire began to suck after about 4 rides (8 hours)! This may not be a problem for a rider under 200lbs.

I've been riding a Cycle Dynamics Ti granny (about twice the money) for about 4 months and so far, no problem.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   OEM Steel granny; Truvativ Firex granny; Truvativ Stylo Granny; Cycle Dynamics Ti granny

Bike Setup:   Truvativ Stylo; Wipperman chain

Submitted by J.C. a Cross Country Rider from Whistler

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Aptly named so you know what to do with it after it breaks.

Weaknesses:    Strength/durability

Bottom Line:
I'm guessing it's called a chuck ring as it chucks the chain onto the BB shell and now I'm going to chuck it in the garbage. I'm not a punishing rider but this thing bent during a cross-country ride. I straightened it but it easily bent again on each of 3 subsequent rides.

I had bad luck with Blackspire rings in the past but hadn't tried them for a few years. No more cash for them.

How fitting. I just took a look at their website and though they claim to be Canadian their main page statement sounds like one of those old Taiwanese company ads in MBA. I'm guessing the same QA dept. is used for their website and products.

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Vancouver