Wippermann Intrax 708 Chain

Wippermann Intrax 708. Chains. These run as smooth as silk on all city bikes, BMX and touring bikes with narrow sprockets. They are suitable for 14-, 12-, 7-, 6-, 5- speed hub gear systems. intraX chains fasten with a spring clip master link, for easy disassembly. Deraille ....

Submitted by Furrner a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2014

Strengths:    A big fat zero

Weaknesses:    It is certainly weak

Bottom Line:
This is only the second time in many, many years of biking that I have been peed off enough with a chain that I feel the need to write a review and warn people to avoid it. I purchased this to go on my single speed as I was advised that being a bushing chain it would last longer than the regular 9 speed chains I have been using for years. The mid-level SRAM and KMC chains I have used before usually last between 800 and 1000 miles before being worn out, this one has lasted less than a 100 miles before showing .025" of "stretch" across 6 inches of chain and is now starting to wear the sprockets. It was installed along with a new Chris King cog and a Renthal front chain ring and has been cleaned after every ride an re-lubed, the same treatment that every other chain I have used has received.

About a week ago I wrote an email to Wippermann to ask if this was a common problem or if I was doing something wrong and to date have not even received the courtesy of a reply.

The chain is coming off and being replaced with a 9 speed KMC, I am done with this manufacturer.

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Similar Products Used:   KMC and SRAM mid range 9 speed chains.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey custom SS.