Wippermann Connex 905 Chain

3.34/5 (47 Reviews)

Wippermann Connex 905

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Easiest chain detachment(Connex Quick Link)

Weaknesses:    NOT compatible with Shimano or SRAM chains

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Connex Quick Link only. After seeing the ingenious way the chain comes apart by forming a "Z" - I thought I could try this on my KMC X9SL chain. Don't do it - you will have nothing but shifting problems and if you run a full-suspension, the bobbing will blow your non-Wippermann chain apart on the trail. It already happened to me once, forcing me to walk 7 miles chainless, since the Connex links disappeared once the chain fell apart.

I later compared another one to the SRAM and KMC link, and suddenly noticed the Wippermann link is almost a full 1mm longer than the other two....hence the skipping chain.

What a complete waste of eight bucks...anybody want a new one?

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24 Hours of Adrenalin course)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Power Link
KMC Missing Link

Bike Setup:   22-pound Giant Anthem X2

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider from New County, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Very durable, never broke in 3 years of use, not very expensive

Weaknesses:    Not rust free, Shimano XTR/Dura-Ace are cheaper

Bottom Line:
I am using this chain for about 3 years. I used a CN-7700 before this and it kept breaking very often in the last years of use. I decided to get a more durable chain. The Connex 904 was very durable, I am changing it because it is worn (better than changing all drivetrain later).
Compared with the CN-7700, the shifting is about the same, but not having a broken chain in 3 years is like a dream. I took good care of it, the quick link enables often cleaning because it is so easy to open the chain. For top condition, keep it clean and lubed. Some times it rusts, but only if not lubed on time.

5 Chilis for 3 years of problem free chain
4 Chilis for being more expensive than a XTR chain

Similar Products Used:   Shimano IG and CN-7700

Bike Setup:   Top Fuel, CrossMax, FRLT, XT/XTR drive train, Hope Mini

Submitted by Michael Hogan a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Strengths:    Joining/release link for convenience

Weaknesses:    too soft and expensive

Bottom Line:
Nothing but problems from the beginning. The chain has snapped twice in 6 months and is stretched too far for use, the links are too soft and burr too easliy causing chain suck. The joining link is great for chain removal but a real weak point in the chain.

Similar Products Used:   shimano and sram

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar Pro with full XT group set

Submitted by Joseph Mueller a Cross Country Rider from Mammoth lakes, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2006

Strengths:    Quick link

Bottom Line:
This chain is a joke. After only the second ride I began having shifting problems. After checking everything I removed the chain and found it binding at one spot. It had also streched a half link in only 50 miles of riding. I went back to a Shimano and all problems have dissapeared. The only good thing about this chain is the quick link which I transferred to my Shimano chain.

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Nomad w/XTR

Submitted by Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2006

Strengths:    Bombproof

Weaknesses:    $$$$$, Limited suppliers

Bottom Line:
Went through three shimano chains the first year I rode my bike, A frind recommended a Wipperman Nickel plated chain and I have loved it. This chain is bomb proof, I ride 3,000 plus miles a year and have riden this chain the whole time. This last year the chain has finally stretched to the point where I will need to replace the whole drive train but after 4 years of riding on it, I am not going to complain. I abuse the hell out of it and it just keeps spinning. Doesnt like to shift into the large chain ring under any type of load but I expect that is a front derailuer problem since I had the same issue with the shimano chains. I highly recomend the Wipperman Nickel plated chain for anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Behind the rocks (moab)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, SRAM

Bike Setup:   2001 Specialized Stumpjumper, Marzochi bomber fork, Mavic 517 wheels, FSA PIG pro headset, XT, LX drivtrain with specialized Strongarm II crank.

Submitted by Aidan a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2005

Strengths:    Quick link seemed like a great idea at first, rest of chain seems solid and well made.

Weaknesses:    Quick link weakness

Bottom Line:
First up, I am reviewing the Connex 904 chain here since there wasn't a separate category for it, but I'm sure my comments will apply for the others in the range.
This seemed like a great chain at first and the quick release link was a godsend the one time I used it. I made extra sure to follow the instructions online regarding how to orientate it correctly when putting the chain back on. About 6 hours of riding later (in two separate sessions) the quick release link failed (even though the chain was less than 15 hours of riding time old) - when I was 8 km into a trek with a 15 km trek up a mountain still ahead of me. And woe is me... I left my chain tool in the car. Needless to say I was a tad slow everywhere where there wasn't a slight decline. I am really dissapointed in this chain now and will never be able to trust it again.

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek Reserve

Purchased At:   Bike and Cycle Obsession, Brisbane

Similar Products Used:   Shimano chains

Bike Setup:   Stock 2004 Giant Iguana

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2005

Strengths:    Nickel plating looks nice,master link is good quality

Weaknesses:    Streched to .75 in less than 700 miles,these master links only fit this brand of chain.

Bottom Line:
Value would be good if Wipperman had the bigger guys in mind,mine got replaced far too soon.
Overall is great shifting,being nickel plated,and all is fine and dandy if you are under 160lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat Park

Purchased At:   Shop I work in

Similar Products Used:   currently KMC 9000,Sram hollow pin(for light guys),all of Shimano.

Bike Setup:   K2 Tirade 5.0 custom hand polished w/Fox Vanilla R,Sherman Flick Plus 20mm t/a,X-9,X-Gen,Azonic Outlaw 36sp 4 cross laced,Hayes Mag HD,Holyrollers,FSA V-Drive Mega Exo crank,bars,stem,Thompson Elite post,Titec seat.6"in med spring in fork,5" rear with 600lb spring.

Submitted by Steve Fairclough a Cross Country Rider from Oakville, Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    Stainless look
Master link
Lasts forever
Strong
Flawless shifting

Weaknesses:    I only bought 2. Should have bought more!!!!

Bottom Line:
Ran first chain for all of last season (2400km) in some prety sloppy stuff and saw virtually no wear (1/32"). Installed the 2nd chain this year (1200km) and it's like new. Never had a break/skip and can't say enough how much I like these chains. The Master link is easy to use (I didn't realise you could install it upside down until I read these reviews!!).

Buy one........you won't regret it!

Favorite Trail:   Kels0

Purchased At:   Toronto Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, SRAM PC69, 59

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Pro, XT front/rear deraileurs/shifters/brakes, Truvativ crank/seatpost/stem

Submitted by Big Popi a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    ????????

Weaknesses:    Snap. Snap. Snap Snap (twice on the 3rd ride). Snap. Snap. Snap.

Bottom Line:
This chain has been USELESS!!! I've been riding for 14 years and have never had a product fail like this one does consistantly! I've probably gone on 10 rides with this chain installed and it broke at least 5 times now. I'll be buying either and SRAM or Shimano to replace it now not only because it's a piece of garbage, but because it's too short to use now!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Couple of wheels, a suspension fork...oh yeah, and breaks.

Submitted by Jasper a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to install and clean

Weaknesses:    Strength

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy and thought I was easy on chains. I have used Shimano and SRAM chains in the past without ever breaking them. My LBS indicated that the Connex with nickle plating was way stronger. Well today was the last straw. I have repaired this thing over 10 times. My cogs are good and shifting is good when its not broken. I am switching back to SRAM. I would not recomend this to anyone who is a heavier rider and cranks on their bike.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sram

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, SRAM XO

Submitted by Norbert Konecki a Weekend Warrior from Brisbne

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    Easy clean due to Connec Link

Weaknesses:    Total pain to adjust initially

Bottom Line:
I installed this product after it was highly recommended as a substitute to Shimano chains. Initially I was cursing the shop owner who sold it to me, expensive chain, ruined first trip. I'm still adjusting the rear mech, it seams that this chain has moods. One day it will be the best chain ever used, another day it won't shift. Nothing wrong with mech.

And yep, definately jumps in 9th if the link is upside down.

Handy tip: use the feature of the link to turn chain upside down every so often, changes the way the chain wears, kinda like rotating your undies to get more life between washes. Don't forget to turn the link upside down tho!

Overall: I still love the removable link, a chain should be cleaned by soaking, the crap inside the rollers is what wears the chain. But am still not satisfied with the shifting, and generally this chain appears to be variable. Next time I'll get a shimano chain and use this link.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   My Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX Chain

Bike Setup:   Avanti Baraccuda HardTail, LX front & rear

Submitted by Paul from Washington,IN

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Rust free. Easy removal.

Bottom Line:
Bought the connex wipperman chain in April 2004. I had around 2800 miles on the chain. During a ride last week the chain broke. It did not brake at the connector link. But actually fractured along one of the pin links the pin remained in place. It resulted in a nasty tumble with injuries. I've never had a chain break. Please check your connex chains.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Road Bike

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    Easy on/Easy off

Bottom Line:
Chain was working great and then started jumping in 9. Bike shop (two wheel tango) said I wore out _one_ ring on my cassettee and suggessted that I switch chains often(!). All new XT drive train installed 6 month ago with the wipperman chain. Reading Murray's review (below) I catch his comment on the connex connector. Brought the bike in the house and flipped the connector... test rode and chain does not jump! To see how the connector should look check out: http://www.velimpex.com/wippermann_c_link.php?pg=wippermann&secpg=wippermann_c_link>%20&secpg=wippermann_c_link

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Bike Setup:   Custom Specialized

Submitted by Murray a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2004

Strengths:    Like a previous reviewer, this is for the 908.
Durability
Smoothness
Gear changing
Little chain suck
Connex master link

Bottom Line:
Yeah, I know its not for the stainless, but this chain is good. I look after the chain (connex link makes that easy) and the first one lasted over a year before I replaced it, and even then it was nowhere near worn out. I have no ghost shifting which some people seem to have with the NRS and the gear changes are butter plus! To the reviewer who said his chain jumped, I can just about guarantee that you installed the connex upside down. I started using the Wipperman chain when I was selling my old 8 speed. Wanted a real cheap chain and got the basic Wipperman 800. I could not believe it was the same bike, the changing was so smooth compared to using the SRAM pc68. When I first purchased the NRS, I had the (then 904) chain fitted instead of the Shimano that was OEM, and have now replaced that with the later 908. The chain is basically bulletproof, and am 100% satisfied with it.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere