Wippermann 9x1 Chain Chain

2.71/5 (21 Reviews)

Rust free!! 40% more durable than other steel chains. Specially dimensioned rollers decrease the risk of chain suck. Compatible with all 9 speed systems. 298g.

Submitted by Jamie Strong a Racer from Skaneateles, NY USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Side plates too weak and prone to failure

Bottom Line:
I live in the wet Northeast so I decided to pay the long dollar for this chain to use on my commuter bike to prevent chain rust. I keep my chains lubed and clean, but this failed after only a few hundread miles. The chain side plates fail which causes the chain to rapidly snap. Fortunately for me it did not create a dangerous situation (I was in traffic). Upon closer inspection a few other link side plates are also cracked.
I think the stainless is too low in tensile strength and prone to metal fatigue. Simply put, nobody should bother with this chain.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, Shimano, Suntour, Others

Bike Setup:   Cyclocross/commuter w/ SRAM, Shimano, Truvativ

Submitted by KillerT a Cross Country Rider from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2007

Strengths:    No rust!

Weaknesses:    Eats cassettes like you won't believe...

Bottom Line:
I've used this chain for 4200 km of riding through everything the Danish climate had to offer (rain, snow, salty roads, mud, you name it) and there is absolutely no rust on the chain.

After this considerable distance with reasonable (but probably not sufficient) maintenance, the chain is now worn so badly that it skips on the cassette... time for a replacement.

The stainless steel is a bit hard on the cassette - I've gone through two XT cassettes and one HG50 in the time I've had this chain.

Favorite Trail:   Rude Skov

Bike Setup:   Modded Kona Caldera 2005

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Delco, PA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2007

Strengths:    Stainless!

Weaknesses:    If not lubed with quality stuff lots of chain suck. Also experienced sticky links

Bottom Line:
I thought it would be the magical chain maintenance free. Not the case I had lots of problems after giving my bike a good cleaning. sticky links, chain suck, it sucked. I went to a motorcycle shop and bought a can of Maxima chain Wax cured all my problems. If you buy this chain make sure you buy yourself a can of Maxima Chain Wax. Chain stays nice looking though no rust so far

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Valley

Purchased At:   speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   Anyother

Bike Setup:   Dos Niner sram XO rear XTR front

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Ventura, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    I think the Connex link is a great idea, that's the last thing you have to worry about. The stainless steel is great idea as far as strength and rust are concerned.

Weaknesses:    STICKY LINKS!!! Stainless on stainless is notorious for gulling and I'm pretty sure that’s a contributing factor to the links. It still RUSTS at the pins too!!! A little pricy for how it worked.

Bottom Line:
Great idea on paper, but needs to be worked out in practice still. The rusting of the pins is probably due to the low grade stainless magnetizing itself from constant rubbing/rotating and causing the iron in the dust to collect in that region.(I only had the rust form once and that was when I took it off and left it in a water saluable degreaser for an hour) I think if they sorted out some sort of thin, low wear teflon/plastic washer that kept the plates from rubbing to prevent gulling that may fix it, or some sort of super lube that prevents gulling.(Lapping compound mixed with chain lube comes to mind J/K) Also 316L Stainless wouldn't hurt either, they are probably using some crappy 301-303 stainless at best, I couldn't find the spec on that.

Bottom line, keep a steel chain lubed and rust free, it will last longer than a stainless chain that gulls and creates the worst sticky links ever. Before it got sticky it worked well. Just my $.02, use your best judgment.

In case you’re wondering, YES, I did keep it clean and lubed.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 951 and 971

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Submitted by Jason from fulton, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2006

Strengths:    stainless

Weaknesses:    unreliable

Bottom Line:
I have had a few. One I race with, one I play with. The one on my race bike has endured two six hour races, and plenty of trail time with one snapped link that was fixed with a sram link. This chain on my fuel was purchased the same time and is not used as much, maybe 15 hours. The connex link once unhooked when I back peddled while in my big ring. I lost the link. Recently it snapped when I started to climb five minutes into a ride. The link plate was cracked on the load side of the link pin hole, three plates in all. I fixed it by removeing the bad links and added another section of wippermann links. Short time later I was attempting another climb and it broke in the same way. I wonder if they got a weak batch of steel. I have emailed them, and have not had a reply. Anyone try emailing them in german? no speackinzee english? I have had poor results from using their chain. I need reliability, not some good some bad. I will not be buying another wippermann.

Favorite Trail:   Holiday valley

Purchased At:   Advance cyclery

Similar Products Used:   shimano HG, sram PC

Bike Setup:   Fuel, XO, King, RaceFace, Magura, Crankbros, Kenda, Manitou

Submitted by RYAN N a Cross Country Rider from TULSA, OK

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Strength, requires minimum of maintenance, runs smooth, connex connector works!

Weaknesses:    cost (worth it)

Bottom Line:
This works. No rust after 1600 miles with only minor maintenance. Doesn't wear on the rear cassette, either. Took it off the bike once for a serious soaking cleaning; otherwise I just wipe it off and reapply lube.

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 991 (solid pin), various shimano

Bike Setup:   Planet X hardtail, Truvativ cranks, XO RD, SRAM 990 11-34 cassette

Submitted by Greg Rawl a Weekend Warrior from Fort Myers, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    Rust free and durable when no defects

Weaknesses:    Defect Prone

Bottom Line:
My first 9x1 chain lasted in excess of 2,000 miles until I replaced it when the strech reached spec limit. I installed my second chain and it broke on a warm up ride with less than 300 miles on it. Inspected chain and found not problems. Measured strech after break and was like new. If you get a good on they are great and if you don't...

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, SRAM

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace Road Bike

Submitted by Sam Samaha a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Quick release link, and stainless steel construction is great. Made in Germany.

Weaknesses:    on the pricey side.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure I'm using the same chain as some of the members on this review.. I don't understand how so many have broken them? Maybe they installed it wrong? Maybe they're trolls.. I have no idea, but I've never seen a chain that wears as well as this one does.. after some 300 miles, it still looks like new.

Shifts like butter with my XTR front and XO rear deralleur.. and I'm using Boone Ti chainrings up front too..

Favorite Trail:   Back yard

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC99

Bike Setup:   http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum39.html

Submitted by Daniel Hay a Cross Country Rider from Lamadd ,It

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    I think the connex link is a good idea but it needs work.

Weaknesses:    The chain broke before I could get out of my driveway.

Bottom Line:
Three of my riding buddies and I bought this chain neither of us got 200 mi out of it. By the time I was finished with my first ride with this chain it was so short I had to add 4 links from a spare chain. This is unacceptable by any standard. I’m not a large man I only way 140lb and this is the first chain I have ever broken.

Purchased At:   mtbstore.com

Similar Products Used:   scram,shimano

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro

Submitted by Hans Koeller a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Strengths:    The chain works great now. The best thing about it is it's stainless steel construction.

Weaknesses:    The CONNEX link is NOT compatible with 11 tooth cogs. At least not the 11 tooth Shimano LX cog. The link would ride up wreaking havok on my cog and snapping my derailuer each time it came around. I simply replaced the CONNEX link with a regular link. Now it works great.

Bottom Line:
I do not like that this chain is advertised as compatible with all 9 speed drive trains when it is clearly not when the CONNEX link is installed. However, I will purchase another if this one lasts as long as it is boasted to.
If you want a durable quality chain this is probably for you. If you're a racer who wants a light chain look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   hansandcamella@mail.com

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC- 68

Bike Setup:   KHS FR1500 with a Manitou Stance fork and Shimano LX cogs.

Submitted by Anthony L a Downhiller from Montreal,Quebec,Canada

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    K for all you posers who think your good by lying about your chain you can all get the *** of this website......your ruining the products apperance making fgood buyers by products that break.

Weaknesses:    i havnt even owned this chain yet but for anyone who says shimano or sram is trusty your full of **** I broke every shimano i had and for all you posers who think sram is good i bought my pc 99 and snaped it 8 times within the first month.... im a hard rider but dont tell me shimano or sram is good

Bottom Line:
SHIMANO:THE WORST COMPAGNY EVER:only a true poser would say there good

SRAM:THEY CAN MAKE EVERYTHING GOOD EXEPT CHAINS(very weak) AND SHIFTERS(MADE oF PLASTIC SO ANY IMPACT AND TEHRE DONE)

Wipperman:THE BEST CHAINS THERE ARE BEFORE ROHLOFF

Similar Products Used:   wipperman is not a bad compagny.... i had the teflon 9x8 previously..... it lasted 1 year riding everytday at least 20 miles.... even through winter as it rusted....i went dh riding and guess wat it broke once out of its entire life. compared to sram thats a little bit out of the ordinary dont you think

Bike Setup:   devinci ollie, diabolus, holzfeller, gigapipe, atom lab trail pimp, dhx 5, sram 9.0 powerglide 2 ,E13, odi, sherman slider plus

Submitted by Chuck a Cross Country Rider from GA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Strengths:    well it would have been the stainless steel, but since it hasn't lasted long enough to rust i guess there are none

Weaknesses:    i've never had a chain break so fast in more than 15 years of riding

Bottom Line:
fellow rider had this chain and was raving about how easy it was to clean up, so when i went through my drivetrain i thought why not give it a shot (since i have a job now). what a waste, 3 miles into some easy singletrack it broke. next ride, it lasted 8 mi before it crapped out. i even thought there might have been something i missed on the installation, like lighting some incence and candles, but when i checked the reviews out here it seems that these chains just suck. don't waste the cash unless you feel lucky. I have ridden $15 chains for year before failure like this. Kudos to pricepoint for taking it back with no problems.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   shimano, sram

Submitted by K L a Racer from Bend, OR / Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    Not sure.

Weaknesses:    Stiff links. The shift from small chainring to big chainring is very slow because the links are stiff. I was in a road race spinning at 29 mph in my small chainring because I couldn't figure out that I had to spin *REAL* slow to get the shift up to my big chainring. Yeah, I should've tested it beforehand, but I figure a chain is a chain.

Unreliable. I had this chain explode on me TWICE, both times in extremely awkward situations. Once I was on a 60 mile out and back road ride in the middle of nowhere and the chain exploded in the middle of an intersection. At first I thought it was the connex link that failed, but it wasn't so *thanks to the connex* link I was able to ride back with about 3 usable gears... This was a practically new chain.

The other time the chain exploded on the Slick Rock Trail about 2.5 miles in. Let's just say that having 3 usable gears after that made the trail *real* fun.

Basically, the chain is extremely weak under certain types of shifting conditions. If you're cross shifted and try to go to your small chainring under load you've got a good chance of breaking your chain.

These are the only chains I've broken, and I've ridden numerous Shimano chains under all kinds of conditions so I think Wipperman's are simply poorly engineered.

Bottom Line:
This chain won't necessarily leave you stuck in the forest/desert with no chain tool because it's easy to fix once it breaks. Thanks Wipperman!

Purchased At:   Sinclair Imports

Similar Products Used:   Wipperman Nickel, Shimano DA/XTR 9spd, Ultegra HG-91,92,93, HG-71

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Soloist full DA, Fisher Supercal 29er XTR/XT

Submitted by Joey a Weekend Warrior from Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2005

Strengths:    Stainless, durable.

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
I don't know why everyone is breaking these chains. I havn't had any problems with mine. About 1500 miles, and barely even any stretch. This chain does NOT rust. If you see rust on the chain, it's more than likely from your cassette. This has been through two winters (exposed to road salt), and no rust. I'll buy another when this one eventually wears out.

Purchased At:   nashbar