Home | Reviews | Chain | Taya

2.7/5 (46 Reviews)

Taya Chain

Submitted by bikdav a Weekend Warrior from Andover,MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Serious performer for a department store chain.

Weaknesses:    TaYa's quick link gets a failing grade. I swapped it out and put a SRAM quick link in place of it. It works good, but I think I'm going to put the KMC "missing link" on it instead. KMC seems to be a great match to a lot of chains.

Bottom Line:
I needed a chain in an emergency. So I while in Walmart I spotted this Taya _ labled as Bell Sports _ chain for $10. I wasn't expecting great performance, but I figured it would at least hold me over. Guess what, I think I'm going to keep it. It isn't "top notch", but it works much better than I was expecting. If you buy one of these, swap out Taya's quick link for something else, because that is its only short fall that I found.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   KMC, SRAM.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock.

Submitted by Ricardo Chaveiro a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap, strong, durable

Weaknesses:    i haven´t found none

Bottom Line:
it´s a great chain it has loads of miles in it and it never braked, i thing it is a good chain as long as we take the proper cares to keep it as good as new, it still in use, i mean it has an year and it´s as good as new, and trust me my bike is used every day with rain, dust, mud every thing u can imagine that can destroy a chain, and it´s still good i reconmend :)

Favorite Trail:   i love em all

Purchased At:   Ciclomarca

Similar Products Used:   shimano hg chain

Bike Setup:   2006 vag mission, rst gila t6 plus, deore transmission

Submitted by Dave a Racer from England

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    Been reliable for 1,900 miles, including a 400 mile tour round wales with 70lb luggage strapped to my bike.

Weaknesses:    Had to buy a new rear cassette when i brought the chain, but this was expected as it was worn out. The chain stopped skipping onece the new cassette was on.

The quick remove link. You are meant to change it every time you use it, I've re-used it for 4-5 times, which explains why it eventually snapped. Just replaced it with a normal link though, so no big problem.

Bottom Line:
This product has had some very bad reviews, but i've had not problem with it. Every weekend i put the bike under a lot of strain on 100 mile club rides, going up large hills and mountains near where i live. Neither did i have any problems going up and down the Welsh mountains with all my camping gear weighing the bike down.

I clean it and re-oil it every week as i would with any other chain to maintain it and the drive set. However, now i have done a couple of thoushand miles on it i am considering buying a sachs chain and keeping it as a spare in my panny just in case.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh R.50 Racing bike

Submitted by james lumb a Weekend Warrior from north, ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Strengths:    It got me up the hill

Weaknesses:    It snapped at the top of the hill, on my second ever ride on this bike. Thus, I couldn't go as fast back down the frickin trail.

Bottom Line:
I'm now going to try a Taya Pro

Favorite Trail:   Rocks, Mud n Dirt

Purchased At:   with bike as new

Similar Products Used:   shimano...taya(a while ago)

Bike Setup:   Specialized

Submitted by A Cyclist a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Strong and hard wearing once fitted.

Weaknesses:    The packaging says 'No Tools Required' to fit and remove. That's totally wrong because I needed 'Grilla-Grips' to fit the Sigma connector. And I was unable to remove the connector my bare hands or even tools and had to get the chain off the bike by removing one of the conventional pins with a chain link extractor.

Bottom Line:
The Sigma connector simply doesn't work easily. I would challenge anyone to fit and remove this chain without tools. Avoid this chain and make your life easier by using a Sachs/SRAM chain instead.

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Sachs PC 89, 9 speed.

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Comp '99, XT 9 speed front & rear.

Submitted by Bernie Martin a Cross Country Rider from Winchester, England

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    The Chain seemed to be well made and I bought the top of the range one to make sure that I got quality

Weaknesses:    Didn't work!

Bottom Line:
Because I'm a tall rider, I'm using a 180mm Xt 9speed Crank with an XT 8 speed rear Cassette. I fitted the chain and the crank kept spitting it off after the chain would seem to `bunch up` then bale off the ring. I checked the adjustments-everything was fine. The chain just didnt like the chainset and behaved as if the links were not made to the right size. I put a Sachs PC 68 on and everything was fine. Buy Sachs drive Chains if you do big miles and dont want to be caught out on the trail!!

Similar Products Used:   Sachs PC 68

Bike Setup:   Orange P7 with XT,Lx and Marzocchi MX COMP ETA Forks

Submitted by JT a Weekend Warrior from Holland, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    The chain looks good. Looks can be decieving.

Weaknesses:    The chain did not work with my Shimano IG cassette. I bought the Taya Relief chain, thinking correctly that a stretched chain was causing skipping. I bought Taya because Nashbar was selling it at a low price. The problem of the chain skipping remained, so I replaced the cassette. (expensive!) The chain still skipped, so I bought a Sram pc48, ($15 at a local bike shop) and the problem went away. The Taya chain is in the trash where it belongs, and I now have one good Sram chain and two good cassettes. Buy Sram - stay away from the Taya Relief.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy the Taya Relief chain.

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Original Shimano chain, replacement Scram PC48

Bike Setup:   GT

Submitted by mnt biker a Cross Country Rider from around

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2002

Strengths:    Pins are stronger then PC-99, really

Weaknesses:    weak inner links

Bottom Line:
chain lasted less then 10mi. After a short ride upon inspection inner link outside plates were bent in from what? chainring ramps on upshifts. I'll bet cat food cans made out of higher grade steel. I am only 140lbs, for records.

Favorite Trail:   GWF

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Sach, SRAM, Shimano, KMC

Bike Setup:   which one?

Submitted by John Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Durham UK

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to find (Halfords are everywhere!)

Weaknesses:    Breaks. The connector is NOT reusable.

Bottom Line:
a. They DO break usually at the special link.
b. Whats the point of the special link if you can't split the chain and reuse it?
c. Theres a lot of mud in my area and I get real bad chainsuck, a really clean chain helps and I always clean it off the bike so a reusable link is important.
d. Noone should buy TAYA - get Sachs they're better chains and easier to split + the links are reusable.

Favorite Trail:   Yorkshire Dales

Purchased At:   halfords

Similar Products Used:   Sachs/SRAM + one Shimano (no thanx)

Bike Setup:   Marin East Peak 8 speed

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Bournemouth

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    SNAPPED IN A WEEK ******AVOID******

Bottom Line:
ABSOLUTE F**K, DONT GET ONE OF THESE HALFORS SH*T PIECES

Purchased At:   Halfords

Submitted by adam the monk a Downhiller from lincoln, uk

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, Shifts Fine

Weaknesses:    EVERYTIME You Take A Link Out you get a stiff link, this is easily solved though

Bottom Line:
i ve given it loads of abuse and it's still going, it has never failed me, even if it does shift badly (which it doesnt) if you are lookin for a tough, cheap chain get it!

Favorite Trail:   anything fast with jumps/berms

Purchased At:   Halfords Bike Hut

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   dawes, psylo's, hope, lx/stx-rc

Submitted by Mitch a Weekend Warrior from Bedford

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2000

Strengths:
Easy to service, Price

Weaknesses:
None that I've found.

Bottom Line:
Sorry kids, no problems with this chain. I weigh 225 pounds and have tortured this chain for 2 summers without problems. My son has the same bike with similar set up and I have not had to work on it at all. I lube mine with Krytech and my son uses Ice Wax. I would buy them again.

Ghost Track

2 Years

Shimano

Voodoo Erzulie, Stock except for Terry Liberator saddle, Kore Stem and Nashbar riser bar.

Submitted by Jason a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2000

Strengths:
If I have to say something positive it would be The link

Weaknesses:
Very poor quality, I question the durability of the chain.

Bottom Line:
This chain only had 300kms of trail/road riding. The chain felt like it was trying to skip constantly, it wasn't obvious, and the bike shop thought my XT derailler might be causing the problem, so they replaced it and the problem continued. I have never experienced a chain react like this before. The bikeshop replaced it with a Shimano HG70 and the problem was solved. I tried to contact Taya by mail to explain the problem but I am still weighting.

3 months

Sedis, Sachs, Shimano HG70

1998 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, hardtail Marzocchi Z2 light

Submitted by Rob a Cross-Country Rider from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1999

Strengths:
cheap I guess

Weaknesses:
weak
worthless

Bottom Line:
This chain broke after one nasty chain-suck incident and now it is too short. The chain was always really noisy in the rear and so the shop sold me an IG90. The new chain is a dream. Don't waste your time with anything else. For the money you can't get a full chrome plated chain any cheaper. Sachs...way more coin for the equivalent.

6 months

RM Element Race, RF rings and LX cogset, SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur,
STX RC front derailleur

Submitted by Shadow a Cross-Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1999

Strengths:
nothing outstanding

Weaknesses:
longevity

Bottom Line:
Came with my VooDoo. Have never worn a chain out so fast. Less than 200 miles and I managed to stretch the thing 1/16. At least I never broke it (which every Sachs I've tried has done). Shimano IG90 is still my favorite.

3 months

Chain coming off

Hi Guys, Still being somewhat new and when I run into a problem I come to you guys :thumbsup: Today I was cleaning my chain by back pedaling and the chain came off on me. I know how to put it back on but was wondering why it might have happen? Could it be from holding the chain too tightly and ... Read More »

Chain line question

I am changing my crankset/BB and see lots of reference to chainline. Read Sheldon Brown's info. Still not sure if i need be concerned about chainline in a ss. My stock Kona has a straight chainline so if i replace crank/BB and chainline is off simple matter of spacers or is it more involved ? Do ... Read More »

Isopropyl alcohol as chain cleaner?

Hi Guys, I dont usually apply any degreasers to my chain unless they are gunked up good and need a good cleaning. I always clean my chain with a small brush and re apply lube and run through a rag. When I do use degreaser I use the ecotech stuff and let it sit on my chain for a few minutes and ... Read More »

14g home made chain guide

Carbon seat clamp, alu bolt, 2 x alu nuts and a modified rear light mounting - under £25: [IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i37/adb1006/Weights/IMG_20130801_210534_353_zps2ad3c7f8.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i37/adb1006/IMG_20130801_211301_093_zps1a11e2ad.jpg[/IMG] ... Read More »

A vapid and fatuous chain question

Does anyone know if someone makes an 8 speed chain with a gold finish?Read More »