Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

3.15/5 (27 Reviews)

Sachs PC89R

Submitted by Jag a Cross Country Rider from Englang

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light, looks cool. Powerlink.

Weaknesses:    Far too weak, I thought it was me. Broke it in Moab and coundn't get the pins in either. Ended up losing 6 links in the end. Don't expect a £35 chain to break so easily.

Bottom Line:
I don't expect to be recommended a road bike chain when you spend £3.5k on a mountain bike. Oh well, this chain is way beyond returnable quality and I've only ridden about 400 miles on it. Don't waste your money, don't count the Gs, get a decent bike chain. Currently running PC99. Have ordered Rohloff SLT 99 Chain - Nickel Plated, losing faith in Sram at the moment.

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery

Similar Products Used:   PC99, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Spec S-Works, Custom - All the top components.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    light, shifted smooth the few shifts I got out of it. Easy to repair, unfortunately I know that.

Weaknesses:    This thing broke my first ride out on it, at about mile 3. Weak. Broke right behind the master link. I luckily kept the extra links when I put it on. Repressed 2 new links in, and about 4.5 miles later it broke again on the other side of the chain. This chain sucks. Amazingly it got me back to the car at mile 10.

Bottom Line:
This chain is a waste of money. I had a very expensive ride today. It's also the most expensive chain I've ever bought. I have been mt biking a very long time and never snapped a chain, especially a new one, especially twice in one ride. Same story as a review I read here, the guy at my bikeshop said it's super strong, super light, and all mt bikers are turning to it. I'm going back to my Shimano.

Purchased At:   Reno, NV

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG93

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 3.0 stock

Submitted by dimitri hon a Downhiller from london

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2005

Strengths:    light, powerlinks, looks pretty, strong as a normal chain.

Weaknesses:    bit pricey if you dont get trade prices on stuff. hahahaha!!!

Bottom Line:
stop moaning about this thing breaking, if it snaps that easily then youre not riding your bike properly. i cane my bike every single day and the chain is holding up fine. mind you, i matched it with a close ratio sram road cassette.
if youre gonna change a chain, you MUST also change the cassette or you will either snap the chain or it will skip like crazy untill you have an accident.
they wear at the same rate as so they dont mess up your gears.
good chain full stop.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   psycho sugery

Similar Products Used:   chains.

Bike Setup:   kona stinky bling machine

Submitted by BikerCat from USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight (slightly)

Weaknesses:    Rusts easily, stretches quickly.

Bottom Line:
I've used the 89R on two bikes -- one road and one mountain. Neither case made me happy. The chain rusts out far too quickly and developed stretching at too early in life. It's an expensive chain to replace so not an issue to take lightly. Weight savings is about 20-25g over the same amount of links of comparable brands. Though a weight weenie, I have to say it's not worth saving that 20g with this chain.

Bike Setup:   Trek

Submitted by Christopher a Cross Country Rider from Rapid CIty, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2005

Strengths:    Shifts very well, easy to clean, looks great.

Weaknesses:    Haven't noticed any.

Bottom Line:
I run Shimano xtr and xt. Replaced Shimano chain since it wasn't practical to remove each time for cleaning. Replaced it with SRAM chain. Noticed smoother shifting than Shimano chain. Looked closely at chains side by side, noticed links in SRAM chain have much deeper and longer bevels on inside of outer links. This results in cog teeth engaging into chain more smoothly when shifting. My weight is 160 and run high cadence so breakage not an issue. Cost of living is high and wages low here so value (cost?) aspect gets 3 flames.

Purchased At:   Two Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Shimano chain

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1, cross country, wooded trails, etc...

Submitted by Lars a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2004

Strengths:    Hmmmm???? It was nice while it lasted.

Weaknesses:    THIS IS A ROAD BIKE CHAIN!!!

Worked great for about 12 rides. I purchased the chain with an entirely new drive train - all high end. Today the chain broke TWICE on on the a 6 mile trail - one of the the easiest, most mellow rolling hardpack trails I've ever been on! TWICE! The links just blew apart on easy uphills and were left splayed open, with no pin to be found! Very odd!

I'm 170 on the bike and am known as a finesse rider - I do not grind and mash, I know how to shift.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A ROAD BIKE CHAIN!!! I noticed on the box the word "Road" when the guy at the bike shop sold it to me. I told him at that time that there was a mistake, and he assured me that "all the mtn. bikers are using this chain". Pretty damn weak. Will the stand behind this? No way! Pathetic.

Purchased At:   Not so "local" BS

Similar Products Used:   Sachs

Bike Setup:   Agressive trail

Submitted by Ron a Racer from Everett

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2004

Strengths:    Weight (about 20 gr lighter than any Shimano product. Powerlink allows easier chain cleaning.

Weaknesses:    Price ($40 chain)

Bottom Line:
Great chain. Shifts well(same as Shimano), wears well (does not stretch as fast as Shimano). Lasted an entire XC race season (16 or so races)without any problems. I weigh 165lbs and am a power (stand up and mash) hill climber. I do clean my chain, cassette, and chainrings after every ride. I suspect this may be why others are breaking chains. If you are a racer, I reccommend this upgrade instead of the XT to XTR Cassette swap. You save the same amount of weight for a lot less $$.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and SRAM products.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic. XT Crank (integrated BB)with stock chainrings. 11-34 XT cassette. XTR rear der.

Submitted by j sutcliffe a Cross Country Rider from boise ID

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Strengths:    The powerlink is great. Too bad it's stronger than the chain.

Weaknesses:    Breaks. This is the hollow pin version. NOT for mtn bikes.

Bottom Line:
This chain broke on my Road bike. I wouldn't dare use it on a mtn bike. And I chucked it in the garbage after having it break twice in one day. In twenty plus years of hard riding I can't think of maybe but two or three times I broke a chain. This one broke in different spots mind you. Utter crap. What so I saved 25 grams...ooooooooo.....

Favorite Trail:   Resurrection Pass

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Every shimano chain since 6 speed days (probably), Sachs, Taya

Bike Setup:   Road bike.

Submitted by cg a Cross Country Rider from boulder

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, innovation. connector

Weaknesses:    strength. broke twice in one month. not a good mountain bike chain

Bottom Line:
go with a solid pin sram for a measly 25 grams. luckily the last time it broke i was done riding but 2 times in 5 rides is enough for me my other sram products are top notch

Submitted by Kevin Wiebe a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    PowerLink connector works great!

Weaknesses:    Too weak. Chain broke after only 500Km.
NOT for MTB use.

Bottom Line:
This chain was being used on my road bike. The chain broke with only about 500Km on it. The link bars broke through right at the hole in the bar. I think it's great that SRAM is trying new things to get the weight down so I don't want to slam them too hard. The bars have holes in them and the edges of the bars are also beveled to reduce weight. I guess there’s just not enough material left. I’m still using the chain, minus a couple links as I want to see if it breaks again. I see SRAM has a chain with hollow pins now. Keep up the R&D SRAM but I’ll be switching back to the PC99. This chain is definitely not for MTB used.

Purchased At:   On-Line

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC99 and PC58

Bike Setup:   Chain broke on my road bike.

Submitted by Chris H a Cross Country Rider from Doylestown, PA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, strong, good shifting chain with the Power Link for easy disassembly and cleaning without having to deal with new pins w/ Shimano chains.

Weaknesses:    It gets dirty.

Bottom Line:
Install this chain properly (pretty sure many, if not most broken chain complaints weren't installed right) and keep it reasonably clean, and you'll do just fine with this chain. Shifts well even under heavy power, easy to clean. Make sure you read the instructions with the PowerLink, though, I broke one PowerLink after I disassembled it the wrong way. Got a new one and did it *right* and it's been excellent since.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano chains

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Race

Submitted by moabbiker a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    good,lightweight

Bottom Line:
Good value. Designed for road bikes with the slotted link to help save on weight. Been using it for thousands of miles and will need replacement soon due to chain stretch, but this baby hasn't broke and the powerlink comes off with ease! Beats the crap out of the Shimano chain junk out of the 19th century.

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    Simple chain without gimicks (read not a Shimano product). Lasts longer than a Shimano and can be (and should be) assembled without a master link. Easy to install properly, although some people appear to still be greatly challenged.

Weaknesses:    It's a chain. You need to install it properly and you need to change it when it has stretched more than 1/16 of an inch over 100 links or so. Doesn't shift quite as well as a Shimano chain.

Bottom Line:
Sedis has been making chains that are reliable and better performing than the the rest of the market. Despite Shimano's attempt to make their equipment work only with their hyperglide equipment, they have failed. I have never seen so many people with severe chiain problems. My advice, learn how to properly install a chain. Don't bother allowing the stoners at the local bike shop baby sit your bike for you, simply learn how to install the thing. Don't use the silly master link. Get a good chain tool and learn how to install the pin and then equalize outer plate pressure so it can run through the fairlead pulleys on your derailleur and not snap the thing. I give the Sedis or Sachs or SRAM or whatever the company calls their products a 4 star rating because no chain should get a five star unless it makes you go faster, but no chain (even Shimano) will break on the first ride unless it wasn't installed properly.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary Trail

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Sachs/Sedis chains, Regina, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Several that don't matter to the content of this review.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Wales Center, New York, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Strengths:    Haven't experienced any yet, but it was nice to buy a chain like the XTR that I had that was encased in thick sticky grease.

Weaknesses:    The chain broke in the first 100 yards. That did not make my first ride of the year very enjoyable.

Bottom Line:
The chain broke, things happen, local bike shop not supportive, said they won't do anything about it since they didn't install it. How frickin hard is it to push a pin out and install the quicklink???? I broke that first chain 3 times before being able to get a replacement. Then I broke the replacement, and not to mention the quicklink. I'm in the process of hunting down SACHS' corporate info, so I can give them a piece of my mind!!!!! DO NOT BUY A SACHS PC89R, They are simply not reliable!!!!! I would rate this tenth of one Chili if that were possible!!!

Purchased At:   Handlebars Cycle Co.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, XT chains.

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Raceface, XTR, Manitou

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    I don't think there are any! Yes, I thought of ONE! After the chain broke, it was very easily repaired. I was able to fix the chain with a black burn mountain light trail tool. I was very please at how good my tool worked. I am very happy with black burn mountain biking tools.The chain got me home!

Weaknesses:    Strenght! I rode this chain two rides and snapped the chain on a very easy cruiser trail. I am not happy with sachs

Bottom Line:
I think one word sums up this chain and the company that designs this chain "Malodorous"!

One flame only because you have too!

Favorite Trail:   Micky Mouse

Purchased At:   River Rat

Similar Products Used:   sachs 41,51.Shimano Hg,IG.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct. XTR Rear, XT front and shifters Clara brakes(disc [hydro])EASTON EA 70 Riser bars!