Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-991 Chain

2.6/5 (35 Reviews)

The PC-991 represents Sram's premium Power Chain II offering. Featuring an inner plate and outer plate design that offers faster and more accurate shifting in all conditions.

Submitted by rider a Weekend Warrior from fort collins colorado USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    i ride in the mountainous front range with lots of climbing and rocky descents. this is by far the best chain i have ever used. very reliable. easy on and off for cleaning. it is pricey but you get what you pay for. also, it helps to clean and lube any chain for it to last.

Bottom Line:
great chain and i'll go buy a new one soon given current chain has a lot of miles on it.

Favorite Trail:   maxwell and many others nearby

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Submitted by boogieman johnson a Cross Country Rider from somewhere, nj

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2011

Strengths:    Zero problems

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I bought this chain right when changes done in 06 and rode hard in CO for a few weeks, then parked it while I had surgery. Now after years of rehab and being able to ride without pain I have put some tough miles on it, shifting in steep inclines-including cross-chaining short term if needed, to not walk. After 732 miles on it, it may need replacing soon, but only failed me once. It was my fault. I hastily mis-snapped link together. Nothing gets 5 chili's unless I don't have to wrench it....ever. sorry I am a wrench by trade

Favorite Trail:   hard choice

Purchased At:   don't remember onlin

Similar Products Used:   sram, suntour, shimano, kmc

Bike Setup:   KHS Team alite, SRAM X0, some bars, eggbeaters, and a bell

Submitted by FirsTracks a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Easy on/off with PowerLink, good shifting, light & durable

Weaknesses:    None that I've found

Bottom Line:
This seems like some weird parallel universe of reviewers, as the many descriptions of chain breakage are completely at odds with my experience. I've been running PC-991 chains or its PC-99 predecessor for over 10 years now, after wearing out the Shimano XT chain that came on my Sugar and deciding to try the SRAM to go with my SRAM driveline and to get the ease of use with the PowerLink. I liked it, and have run only these chains on that and my subsequent bikes. I am 6' 3", 190 pounds and am a strong, aggressive rider, but I have never broken a chain in about 15k miles of riding in nice or nasty Alaskan conditions, on road and off. This includes high-stress hammering up climbs and over ledges and big root balls on the mtb, or standing and powering over rollers in the big ring on the road bike. I can't square that away with the cases of breakage being reported, and think this chain is getting a bum rap.

I do take decent care of my gear (not just the chain), so as not to find myself walking out, but nothing particularly unusual. I usually run the Hollow Pin chain on the road, and the stronger Cross-Step chain on the mtb's and snow bike. I hose off the chain when muddy, and keep it well-lubed and running quiet (using BoeShield T-9 lube as my current favorite). I check the stretch periodically and replace the chain at 0.75% stretch to preserve my more-costly front chain rings, usually getting 800-1000 miles on the mtb chains and 1800-2000 miles on the road. I don't shift the front under power, but do shift the back under fair power. I run X.0 twist shfters and can jump multiple cogs at one time, but do avoid running full-cross chaining. I've broken freewheels and torn off rear deraillers on trail hazards, and have been able to fix things on the trail more easily with the PowerLink, but have not broken a chain. Just regular use in daily riding, and excellent shifting and reliability with the X.0 drivelines.

What's not to like? I go through a couple of chains every year, and have just ordered a couple more to get me through this season. I bought them on Ebay as usual, and am confident that they will continue to work well.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, older SRAM generations

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 EVP with SRAM X.0 driveline, 9-Zero-7 fat bike with SRAM X.0, Fisher Sugar 1 with SRAM X.0, Specialized Roubaix Pro with Ultegra

Submitted by blazin396 a Cross Country Rider from Warrensburg MO

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2011

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    sram chains break easily

Bottom Line:
I have ridden Sram chains mostly but everytime I start to putthe power down the chain breaks. The last two times I went to push up a hill at speed the chain broke and I went flying into the ground, these chains have sent me to the hospital twice I am about to send my bill to sram lol.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Freeride Bike and Sk

Similar Products Used:   sam 951 and sram 971

Bike Setup:   2010 Raliegh Talus 8.0 with reba dual air rtl, kenda nevegal tire, sramn 990 cassette, truvative stylo, crank brothers egg beaters,

Submitted by Camdonite a Weekend Warrior from Poplar Grove, IL

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Strengths:    Quick-link

Weaknesses:    Quality

Bottom Line:
I rode about 5 miles with this chain before I broke a link. I had my bike professionally tuned up and lubed a day before I took it out and a half an hour in it broke. Buy SRAM cassettes, not their chains.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Cut State Patrk

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano CN-HG74

Bike Setup:   Giant Talon 29er2, SRAM X9 Derailleurs, SRAM X7 Shifters, SRAM PG990 Rear Cassette, stock Shimano Crankset

Submitted by Velcro39 a Weekend Warrior from Central Maine

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, quiet

Weaknesses:    Price? Totally worth it, though.

Bottom Line:
This is the first chain I ever had on this bike. Used it intensely for almost 5 years, broke once or twice. Next to no maintenance the whole time. Finally replaced it because it was old, loose, noisy, and rusty. I had so few problems I picked up the exact same thing to replace it. Still haven't had any problems. I'll keep this one maintained and lubricated though.

Favorite Trail:   Bangor City Forest

Purchased At:   Ski Rack Sports

Bike Setup:   2005 KHS AM1000, SRAM X9 all around

Submitted by mattalrob a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, England

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, easy shifting, reliable, powerlink means easy to take off

Weaknesses:    None that I'm aware of

Bottom Line:
First of all, I just can't understand the criticisms of this chain from the other reviewers. Unless it has been fundamentally changed in the last few months, then they seem to be writing about a completely different chain.

All I can say is that I have ridden literally 1000s of miles on these and they have never let me down. The powerlink is such a simple idea (so simple that Shimano still stick to old-fashioned link pins) and makes taking off and cleaning the chain simple.

Admittedly I do try to look after my chains, in terms of keeping them clean and lubricated, as well as trying to avoid shifting under pressure (more so as not to jump the chain than avoid wear). But I'm a heavier rider and give these things a fair pounding.

I've just bought two more chains and will report back if I have any issues - I'm off on a 500-mile tour in July which should give it a good test!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG93 & HG73, SRAM PC971

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800 Lefty

Submitted by romr a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    Quicklink.

Weaknesses:    Everything else.

Bottom Line:
What a piece of crap guys. I built my Santa Cruz with this piece of crap because it was on sale at PP. I bought 2 of these. Basically I get on a ride and when you need it the most when you're cranking up the hill the stupid thing fails and breaks, at first I thought it was the quick link, however, after further inspection I saw that it was a pin that had just popped out. What a freaking bummer trying to fix this piece of crap while on the trail. So I did, came home checked everything and double checked it. Fast forward 10 rides and sure enough while pumping air into my tire I glance at the chain and half of a pin is out with one of the links hanging loose. I proceed to spend the next half an hour in the parking lot trying to fix this stupid thing, luckily I had a whole new link and just replaced it after removing the bent as hell part. So everything is great now right? WRONG! As I'm going up the hill, the exact same freaking place it broke the first time, the freaking thing breaks again!!! ARG! Unbelievable! I gave up, just coasted and "skateboarded" my bike down from the trail; consider this your fair warning what a piece of crap! I'm giving it a chili only because I can't give it -20!

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, so much better.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler AM, XO everything. XTR Front Derr. Fox 36 VAN RC2, DHX5.0

Submitted by mfennell a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2009

Strengths:    Dunno

Weaknesses:    Breaks.

Bottom Line:
Just logged onto MTBR to see if anyone else had the same problems I do. Lo and behold, I am not alone! I just broke another one of the things yesterday, starting from a top on a steep hill in the granny. C'mon! Always the same failure mode - one of the plates pulls off.

I am not a maintenance zealot, granted, but wipe down and lube the chain every other ride. In 15 years of road and mtb riding, I've broken two Shimano chains. In 2 years of using the SRAM 991, I've broken three of them. I'm going back to Shimano.

Favorite Trail:   hartshoren

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Submitted by PDXJeff a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    smoother shifting
strong enough for a 200 lb rider, 30 lb bike commuting.

Bottom Line:
The stock chain was a SRAM PC-971. I was not happy with the shifting. Performance had a deal too good to pass up to upgrade to the PC-991. I've put 2100 miles on it between April and Oct in Portland, OR; plenty of rain. It has been lubed regularly, but not cleaned as often as it should.

The bike is going for a tune-up and needs a new chain. I like this chain and will replace it with the same model this weekend.

I'm 200 lbs, my bike is 30 lbs w/o saddle bags. I climb the steep hill in the Riverview cemetery on most days. No issues with strength other than my legs ;)

Favorite Trail:   roady

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-971

Bike Setup:   '09 Trek Portland - stock drive train
SRAM 950 cassette, Shimano 105 rear derailleur,
FSA Gossamer Triple crank, Shimano Tiagra front derailleur

Submitted by alembicf1x a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    shiny

Weaknesses:    weak master link

Bottom Line:
This chain broke on me twice at the master link. First time I thought it was due to a worn cogset as the chain was slipping on steep climbs. I was able to put it back together and replaced the cogset, everything was good for a couple of hundred miles.

Second time it broke it wrapped around my cogs and ripped my X-O derailleur clean off the bike.

Fortunately, SRAM was good about covering me on the chain and the derailleur. Unfortunately, I have lost confidence in their chains and will be looking elsewhere.

If you have tiny little matchstick legs and ride flats only, this chain may be adequate for you.

Favorite Trail:   braille

Bike Setup:   chi chi deluxe

Submitted by Geist262 a Cross Country Rider from PA USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Sram Powerlink

Weaknesses:    Very weak chain.

Bottom Line:
This chain was supposed to be really good and it was on sale. It was more than I usually spend on a chain. I broke it 3 times in a week. All three times I was climbing. I was NOT shifting under load either. The chain just doesn't hold up well at all. I don't recommend this chain to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Minh