Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin Chain

2.42/5 (24 Reviews)

The chain of choice for weight weenies. Features gram-shaving hollow pins. If you're setting up an XC race machine, its hardTo do betterThanThe 991 Hollow Pin. Includes Powerlink for easy installation Works with all 9spd drivetrains Claimed 285 grams 114 links

Submitted by tridge a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    Relatively light weight and inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Flimsy. I broke it within 3 mos and I wasn't really getting on it. And I ain't big enough to snap a chain. So I fixed it and went out again. Broke it again the next day. Different link. It's ridiculous.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from this chain. I have used other SRAM chains for years w/o problems. This is my first (and last) hollow pin chain.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, SRAM 99x solid pin.

Bike Setup:   Ti frame w/Sram and Avid components. XC.

Submitted by dimitrin a Weekend Warrior from ATX

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    It is useless because it will break as soon as you put everything you got to the pedal.

Weaknesses:    Outer link pulled away from the pin and bam, there you are up a creek without a paddle. Better bring your chain tool

Bottom Line:
It is useless because it will break as soon as you put this everything you got to the pedal.
Outer link pulled away from the pin and bam, there you are up a creek without a paddle. Better bring your chain tool.
I weigh 170 lbs and have NEVER broke a XT chain. On the sram hollow pin chains second ride, which had some climbing, it broke just after 3 miles. It is unreliable when you need it most. I may try the non hollow pin version, or might be best going with what I know works...XT.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xt

Submitted by romr a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    Quicklink.

Weaknesses:    EVERY FREAKING THING ELSE!

Bottom Line:
What a piece of crap guys. I built my Santa Cruz with this piece of crap because it was on sale at PP. I bought 2 of these. Basically I get on a ride and when you need it the most when you're cranking up the hill the stupid thing fails and breaks, at first I thought it was the quick link, however, after further inspection I saw that it was a pin that had just popped out. What a freaking bummer trying to fix this piece of crap while on the trail. So I did, came home checked everything and double checked it. Fast forward 10 rides and sure enough while pumping air into my tire I glance at the chain and half of a pin is out with one of the links hanging loose. I proceed to spend the next half an hour in the parking lot trying to fix this stupid thing, luckily I had a whole new link and just replaced it after removing the bent as hell part. So everything is great now right? WRONG! As I'm going up the hill, the exact same freaking place it broke the first time, the freaking thing breaks again!!! ARG! Unbelievable! I gave up, just coasted and "skateboarded" my bike down from the trail; consider this your fair warning what a piece of crap! I'm giving it a chili only because I can't give it -20!

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler AM, XO everything. XTR Front Derr. Fox 36 VAN RC2, DHX5.0

Submitted by rumblefish915 a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    Lighter than a non hollow pin chain.

Weaknesses:    IT BREAKS!!
SRAM is not willing to replace chains that break under normal conditions within two weeks of the chains purchase date.

Bottom Line:
I have not run a hollow pin chain in many years because I had problems with frozen links with the past hollow pin chains I used. I figured I would try one with the new bike I just purchased and sure enough it broke on the 6th ride. Not even 80 miles on the chain. The outer link pulled off the pin. SRAM says to just put a power link in the chain and it will be fine. I don't agree that I should have to use a quick fix on a 2 week old chain. I have never had a problem with a non hollow pin chain.
Bottom line, do not run a hollow pin chain. They will break every time!

Favorite Trail:   Walnut creek

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Sram 991 and sram 971

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher Rumblerfish, Sram X0 and shimano XT cranks

Submitted by PaulM a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Lightish, looks nice in the box

Weaknesses:    Two frozen links after the first ride. Seems to be due to a very soft metal.

Bottom Line:
This chain is no good, I have tried rohloff, SRAM, KMC, Shimano chains over the last 10 years, the best of the bunch turns out to be a mid range SRAM chain, like the 970. Seems to last longer and the powerlink is a real plus - means you can run two chains and swap them every month or so to save the life of the rest of it.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Almost everything

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Ti

Submitted by Jim Jackson a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa CA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Easy install.

Weaknesses:    Breaks with no warning.

Bottom Line:
Good chain but it will break.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on !

Purchased At:   Nor Cal

Similar Products Used:   Yes.

Bike Setup:   Xross country all day rider setup.

Submitted by utahmountaineer a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, Utah

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth even shifting. Quick link makes for easy removal and installation

Weaknesses:    You know when to replace this sucker. Instead of becoming stretched out, it breaks. When mine went it wrapped around the rear der. and sheared off the hanger

Bottom Line:
Do not let this chain run dry. Clean and lube regularly. Mine broke twice after 6 months use. Although opinions vary about how often a chain should be replaced, I was used to riding a couple seasons on a chain before it was stretched to it's limit.

Bottom line, I did like this chain and will buy another. This time I will pay closer attention to it's condition and wear.

Favorite Trail:   Steep and technical

Similar Products Used:   shimano, sram

Bike Setup:   Vassago Bandersnatch with all the trimmings

Submitted by tcook a Cross Country Rider from Hollister

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Workmanship

Bottom Line:
I've purchased two of these chains. The first one broke within a month and the second one had two frozen links, brand new out of the box. Shimano xtr and xt have never shown this problem.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, kmc

Bike Setup:   Fisher Superfly

Submitted by amillmtb a Racer from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    Quick Link is the best, very light mine is 264.7g, Strength

Weaknesses:    Price???

Bottom Line:
Great chain, if you are thinking about buying it, do it. I have been riding this chain for about 5 months, and it is rides like it did the day I put it on my bike. It has great strength, is really light, and comes with a quick link. The quick link is an amazing invention by SRAM. This is a great, easy, tool free way to take the chain off. This chain may require a bit more maintenance than others, but for a chain this light, I don’t mind taking it off every couple days and cleaning it. This chain did 7 Springs 24 hour challenge and Big Bear with me, and was fabulous during both. I am by no means a Clydesdale masher; I am only 155lbs, and take care of my chains. Choosing the correct time to shift is crucial to keeping a chain. If you “power shift” this chain may not be for you.

Buy this chain if:
~You want a light chain
~You don’t mind maintenance

Don’t buy this chain if:
~You are a hardcore masher, who “Power Shifts”
~You constantly find your self crossing the chain in 1-9 or 3-1

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood, Frick, 7 Springs

Similar Products Used:   PC-971, PC-951, Shimano XT, other cheap chains

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush, Lefty, X-0, XTR Crank, Stan's ZTR Olympic wheelset

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, California USA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2008

Strengths:    PowerLink design; lightness; smooth shifts.

Weaknesses:    None yet....even after a YEAR of riding.

Bottom Line:
It's true- take care of your parts, and you'll be rewarded with long service life. Don't get me wrong, I PUSH my Hollowpin chain on those grueling hills, and with wide ring/cassette combinations- but I almost NEVER stress the chain, when shifting(ie; no STOMPING at mid-shift). It takes some practice.....and just a millisecond delay, to complete the shift and THEN HAMMER it.

I have almost 2000 road/trail miles on this chain, and at 264 grams running 108 total links- this chain has already exceeded my expectations, and returned my $40 investment. Plus, you can't beat the PowerLink concept.....no TOOLS required! Would I buy another one? Absolutely!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park(24Hrs/Adrenalin Course)

Purchased At:   Pasadena Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-951; KMC 9SL; Shimano Deore LX

Bike Setup:   19-pound Cannondale XC race hardtail.

Submitted by radicaltrek a Cross Country Rider from LaSalle, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Breaks Easily

Bottom Line:
If you are thinking about buying this chain purchase a chain break at the same time because you will spend more time repairing then riding. Sram really dropped the ball on this item!

Favorite Trail:   Maybury

Similar Products Used:   Shimano CN-7701

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000, Rockshox Recon 351 Coil U-Turn, Sram X.9 Front and Rear Derailleurs, Sram X.9 Trigger Shifters, Crankbrothers Candy SL Pedals,Bontrager Race X Lite Saddle, Panaracer Smoke and Dart Tires.

Submitted by TCRunner a Cross Country Rider from Traverse City, MI. USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    light-weight

Weaknesses:    Breaks

Bottom Line:
Only buy this product if you never need, plan or want to mash down on your pedals. This chain broke after 4 months (400 miles) of riding. I was crossing a paved road, stomped down on the pedal (no steriods), chain broke and I was hugging the asphalt. I've read reviews or this product that blame the rider for not maintaining their equipment. Hogwash! This chain was maintained, installed correctly and I was not changing gears. I simply gave it the gusto and it broke. That has never happened to me with any Shimano chain with 4x the miles.

Favorite Trail:   Big Vasa

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DA, XT

Bike Setup:   Salsa Mamasita 3x9, WB rigid carbon fork, RXL wheelset

Submitted by Joel Mabry a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2008

Strengths:    Came in a cool case

Weaknesses:    It breaks

Bottom Line:
I snapped a 3 month old PC99 chain last month and although I said I was going back to Shimano I realized I had an extra chain in my bike parts. It was a new PC991 Hollow Pin. It lasted less than 100 miles before it broke. I'm only 160 lbs and don't put a whole lot of force to the ground. I'm off to try a different brand of chain now.

Favorite Trail:   jmabry90@yahoo.com