Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin Chain

3.1/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 284 grams

SRAM PC1091R 10spd Hollow Pin Chain: 10-speed SRAM and Shimano compatible chain. PC1091R: same as PC1091 plus cut-out side plates for reduced weight (250g)

Submitted by Michel a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2008

Strengths:    It's light

Weaknesses:    It fails

Bottom Line:
I bought this chain to shave off a few grams from my bike. On the third ride in the mountains it broke and I lost the pin... I had to walk home.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    It is a long lasting, good shifting, light weight chain!

Weaknesses:    None found.

Bottom Line:
My chain predates the failed ones noted in reviews below. Currently, this chain is 1/16" out per 12." I usually change the chain when it is 1/8" out per 12." Typically, I wear out one chain per year, so this chain already has lasted twice as long. I use Rock and Roll lubricant, and a lube lasts me 16 hours--much longer than other chain-lube products (about 6 hours for me).

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sedis (pre-Sram)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by Joel Mabry a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2008

Strengths:    Light, quick link makes it easy to get on and off

Weaknesses:    The chain broke with only 3 months of use. I'm only 160 lbs and spin rather than grind. I cleaned the chain regularly and it had less than 200 miles on it. I replaced my middle chainring and cassette at the same time so it was running on new teeth.

Bottom Line:
I'm going back to Shimano.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   PC 991

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR

Submitted by Ian Yorston a Cross Country Rider from Bradford, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, shifts smoothly, quick link is king

Weaknesses:    Expensive, quality control

Bottom Line:
I have a mixed review....
The first hollow pin chain lasted just over one season, with no stretch. I was impressed because I had gone through 5 shimano chains the season before. The new sram chain however has broken 2 times in one month. My buddy also has one and it lasted 2 rides and also broke and that was on a comletely new drive train. I am wondering if there is a quality control prob at sram.

I am always on top of cleaning my drive train and ensuring everything is lubed so this is not a neglect case. I weigh 180 lbs and make sure i don't power shift. I have bought a third sram, if this breaks then i will not buy this product again. prob will look at KMC or Roholoff

Favorite Trail:   Copeland

Similar Products Used:   Other Sram Chains and Shimano

Bike Setup:   Classic Blur with XT Cassette, Race Face xc Crankets

Submitted by FirsTracks a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    Light, strong, easy to install or remove with power links, shifts great

Bottom Line:
I've run PC-99 hollow pin chains for several years now, and have been very pleased with them. I run them on both my mountain bikes, and run a similar PC-89R hollow pin chain on my road bike. All told, I have about 8000 miles (mostly mountain) on these chains, and have never broken or damaged a chain. I get about 1000 miles per chain, and change them out when they have stretched more than about 1/16" per 10" section. I ride mostly XC trails here in Alaska, but with plenty of rocks, roots, sharp climbs, etc which stress the drive train. I'm 6'3" and 190 lbs and ride fairly aggressively, but I'm not a hucker or freerider. I keep the chain fairly clean, usually wiping them down with a rag before relubing and avoiding deep-penetrating solvents, and then I lube regularly with a variety of products such as TriFlow, CrossCountry wet or dry lube, and my current preference, BoeShield T9. I try to avoid cross-chaining the gears and avoid forcing a front shift under load, but I frequently shift the rear under full load. The combo of this chain, a SRAM X.0 derailler and a Shimnao cassette shifts beautifully; I'm less happy with SRAM cassettes. The hollow pins don't save much weight and are a bit spendy, but they look cool and work fine. The PowerLinks are great for installing and removing the chain, and I always carry a couple in my bag for trailside repairs if needed, though I haven't needed them. Given other people's problems with breakage perhaps I've been lucky, but I certaintly don't baby these chains and they've been great for me. I plan to buy more.

Favorite Trail:   Lama

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-99, PC-89R hollow pin, PC-991 hollow pin, Shimano DuraAce/XTR and Ultegra/XT, various older 5 and 6-spd chains

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 2 and Intense 5.5, both running SRAM X.0 rear deraillers and twist shifters, XT front deraillers and cogsets, Bontrager Race Lite and XT cranks, Bontrager Race Lite and and American Classic MTB wheels, etc

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Chain snapped twice in 4 weeks since installing it new. On both occasions a pin had popped out.

Bottom Line:
Have changed to Shimano Durace. Would not recommend this chain to anyone. I am only a 140lb rider and have never snapped chains at this rate before.

Favorite Trail:   Wakamarina

Bike Setup:   XTR front derailieur and chainrings, X0 rear derailieur, SRAM cassette. X0 shifters.

Submitted by ALLEN a Weekend Warrior from FLORIDA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Weight? SRAM product?

Weaknesses:    Chain snapped after 4 miles of road riding.

Bottom Line:
At this point I would not recommend SRAM chain products. I LOVE there rear derailleurs, Rock Shox, Avid Juicy's, but their chains suck! I used this chain to replace a PC-59 chain that had very little wear. It snapped on the trail with a different drive train. I fixed the chain with a Powerlink. This snap after a one mile road ride at the Powerlink. I bought this new Hollowpin chain to replace it...it snapped! You decide!

Purchased At:   Trailhead Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-59 & various Shimano Chains

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Encinitas

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Strengths:    Great shifting in the flats, Lightweight, Chrome Hardened Pins,

Weaknesses:    Chain snapped on first granny grinding uphill without a power shift - Expensive

Bottom Line:
Chain is weak and expensive

Favorite Trail:   Hurricane Rim

Purchased At:   Leucadia Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hg, Dura Ace, Shimano XTR, Sram PC 971-951

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Ventura County

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight, power link kicks ass.

Weaknesses:    read bottom line

Bottom Line:
I used this chain for almost a year. I meticulously maintain my bike and especially the chain. I guess I mashed the chain a little too hard during a shift. I gouged the inner link and it made an indentation which in turn seized that particular link. So needless to say the chain is shot. I now run a PC-991 chain and haven't ridden it hard yet but it does have a convex outer link which may enable smoother shifts. We'll see.

Bottom line is, I've ridden fairly crappy chains with no problems but was wanting to save weight with the PC99 and low and behold ended up scrappin it. Get the higher rated (according to MBA mag) and get the PC991.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, cheaper Sram chains.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500, Crossmax XL ceramic wheelset, Marzocchi Marathon S Forks, Easton EC70 Handlebar, Thomson Elite Seatpost, XT Crankset, XT front derailleur, XO rear, XO twist shifters, yeti lock ons easton ea50 stem, avid sd 7 SL brake levers, SD 7 brakes.

Submitted by AC/BC a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, strong, shifts extremely well for its weight.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to shave a little bit of weight off your drivetrain then this is the chain for you. Otherwise go with something cheaper. The shifting is on par with the best chains and is lighter then them. I've mashed on this chain and is has held up very well so far.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon