Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-99 (9 speed) Chain

3.41/5 (90 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

The ultimate 9-speed chain. Smooth shifting and compatible with SRAM, Campagnolo® or Shimano® systems. Road or off-road, 2x9 or 3x9, this chain is ready for competition at the highest level.

Submitted by Thu Beav a Weekend Warrior from Decatur, GA, USA, Duh.

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    It works. It's lighter I think. It has fancy hollow pins.

Weaknesses:    Some folks have posted bad reviews. I don't see any problems.

Bottom Line:
I like this chain because it's lighter and spins and shifts better than the $12 ones. I am not the smoothest rider but I try. I do weigh 210. My mechanic buddies would say I am a thrasher but that's not entirely true. Still my chain doesn't snap right and left. But if it did I totally have the tools to move on.
Once I was out front and making time when I got weeds in my rear der which created a chain pretzel. After my repair I was DFL and single speed. Lovely. Then the guy who helped me rig my gears snapped his chain too. Duh Oh.
After that I started buying these chains. No problems. It's totally worth money not to have your ride interrupted especially if you're out there.

Favorite Trail:   Pinhoti North

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   All of 'em.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Pro '03. Raceface Team CR. XTR cassette and ders ( who can spell derailleur anyway?).

Submitted by Philip Olson a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, WA --USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly smooth shifting, POWERLINK

Weaknesses:    This chain broke on me. I've never had that happen before, and it was only used for 3 months. No signs of irregular wear or rust or anything on the chain OR cassette-- just plan snapped. Big inconvenience to push my bike the rest of the way.

Bottom Line:
Maybe this is an isolated incident, but it's pretty ridiculous to have a chain break when it's only 3 months old.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith Mt.

Purchased At:   Joes

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900

Submitted by matt lepito a Cross Country Rider from baltimore

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Strengths:    easy to remove for spring cleaning, strong chain

Bottom Line:
The best chain for the money. I have two bikes, a full suspension and a hardtail. I have pc99's on both. I have never replaced the chain. The hardtail is 7 years old, and the pc99 has never broke, never missed a shift, and has not stretched. No chain stretch over 7 years! I ride hard, and don't use the granny gear. I have picked up a stick and destroyed a rear derailleur, but the chain didn't break. I got a new xtr, but the pc99 remained.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   k2 team

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Fowlerville, MI

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    Super strong chain and Power Link !

Weaknesses:    None Period.

Bottom Line:
I rode the solid pin chain for a full season and never once had an issue with it. It never broke, came loose, failed to shift....nada. How everyone else is having trouble with this chain in beyond me. I'm 6'2" and weigh 180 lbs and mash big gears like there's no tomorrow. (What's a granny gear ?) Then after a full season I lost a KMC heavy duty chain riding my Pugsley through the winter here in Michigan and swapped my old 99 on in a pinch. After three months of slushy muddy torture you know what? the chain still works great....a little stretched though. Power to the Pug baby !!

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Surly Pugsley single speed setup

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Cairo Egypt

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    Power Link is a good idea but isn't as easy to disassemble as touted, at least initially. Chain isn't durable.

Bottom Line:
If your a big guy (I weigh 220 plus) or ride hard and with some torque this isn't the chain for you. I don't know if it is the hollow pin or the power link. I have had the chain break three times in three different spots. I'm out of links and shopping for a different brand. Too bad, because I like the rest of the drivetrain.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Marin with SRAM drive train.

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, fairly light, durable

Weaknesses:    Not the BEST shifting you can get

Bottom Line:
This review is for the solid pin version. For price, durability, and ease of use (powerlink) I don't think you can get a better chain. I'm 210lb and have rarely broken these chains. I do however spin fast and don't grind so if your heavy and pushing 40rpm up a hill you may have problems. I use these chains with my commuter as well and have got thousands of kms on them. Great strong chains. Best to use with a SRAM cassette.

I have also used the hollow-pin version and found it to be much weaker breaking it several times. Also, the pins just get filled with dirt so if your looking at saving some grams, don't bother as you'll just be carrying mother nature around with you instead.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fun

Similar Products Used:   Other Shimano, Sram

Bike Setup:   TST Ti hardtail, Marzocci MX Comp ETA, FSA Orbit XLII, Thompson hardware, Shimano drive, Crankbrother Candys, Chris King Hubs, Mavic 717 rims, etc

Submitted by nate a Racer from reno, nv

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2006

Strengths:    -lasts a while
-I really like the powerlink while cleaning.
-weight

Weaknesses:    -not quite as smooth as Shimano

Bottom Line:
This is the longest lasting chain I've had...period. Every Shimano chain that I've owned BROKE. Shimano chains give you no warning before they fail. Three races were lost last year due to Shimano schitty chains. I did have a chain tool during the last two races, but the chains kept breaking (one instance was in three different spots). All three chains were brand spankin' new.

Third times a charming. I've gone SRAM and I haven't looked back since, havn't broken a chain since either. Knock, knock, knock. When the SRAM chain starts to stretch...replace it. Before it streches...clean and lube it. I will give Shimano this: their chains are a LITTLE crisper while shifting. BFD

Favorite Trail:   fernhill loop, NZ

Similar Products Used:   PC-79 and many Shimano HG

Bike Setup:   whatever they give me

Submitted by Petr a Cross Country Rider from Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    Powerlink for Cleaning

Weaknesses:    Soft chain/ bad material. on Third ride I have bent/twisted couple links, this has not happened with shimano chain in last 5-7 years

Bottom Line:
Go shimano, powerlink is nice but if you do not want to risk unexpected failures stay away.
Links twisted and also some bacame damaged to the point where the chain would not bend/go smooth through the derraileur.
Powerlink had no damage. But the rest was wasted..
I have replaced after 1 month - back to shimano duraace....

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Duraace

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel carbon and other

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light Weight, Power Link

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shift very well, chain suck...

Bottom Line:
This chain doesn't shift as smoothly as the Shimano CN-7701 and costs almost twice as much. I put the chain on my bike three months ago and replaced it with a new CN-7701 after several experiencing shifting problems that couldn't be resolved by adjusting my derailer. In my opinion, SRAMs chains are not as good as Shimano's...

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   South Mountain Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano CN-7701

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, XT cranks, front derailer, XTR rear derailer, Crossmax wheels

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Antioch

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    As below, nice!

Fast, slick, quiet.

Weaknesses:    Not as forgiving as bulged chain.

Bottom Line:
I still really like this chain.

As suspected (below), one must be a little more careful, especially if used to bulged sideplate style chain; this time, I know exactly what I did.

Leaving a cattle gate, I downshifted and cut into a link a lil' bit; I wasn't really paying attention, was pretty tired ('n a pretty gal just glided by), and hadn't enough momentum to shift, so just powered it.

Soon after, a little tweaking, peening, etc., at the toolbench straightened the sideplates and ensured the pin wouldn't work loose this time. Remounting the chain with effected area facing out, whala, all good again!

Since, have been careful, no problems. This chain is a sweet one, but once spoiled by one of them bulged chains, this one might take some getting used to - there's a point when the chain is climbing up to the next cog where you hafta lay off the power a little more than with a bulgy. There's very little difference going to a smaller cog.

It's a tradeoff - well worth it in my mind, but not at list price.

Favorite Trail:   Sigh - t' Granma's house

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shi' Ma, NO

Bike Setup:   VT3, mostly stock

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Antioch

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    Sick
Sweet

Slick plated finish stays cleaner. Tight tolerances means less dirt gets INSIDE, smoother, quieter, more powerful!

I think straight sideplates are better. Although one must be a little bit more careful, it's tighter, smoother.

Weaknesses:    Tighter tolerances means more frequent lubes.

Bottom Line:
At near 1% "stretch," time for a new chain - blown away by how much quieter, smoother, faster the 99 is!

Early on I must've put a munch on a link while carelessly downshifting. A week later I figured out what was us up with skipping on smallest cogs when it suddenly got worse, then failed. Since that loooong walk, all good!

This chain is tight, slick, fast, but not as forgiving when it comes to sloppy shifts and jamming power in the middle of that sloppy shift, 'k?

The hollow pins look cool and make the chain a lil' lighter. I doubt very very much that the hollow pins will be any kind of problem, as they are both tough and strong, believe me, I checked 'em out (and I oughta know, what with machinist background and metallurgy knowledge).

SRAM on!

4 Value 'cause list price is >$50

Similar Products Used:   Shima NO

Bike Setup:   Giant VT3, mostly stock

Submitted by Richard Price a Cross Country Rider from Mammoth Lakes

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    SRAM pc 99 Hollowppin
Definately Power Link, ease of cleaning, shifting is great
It seems that alot of people have broken this chain, I have been using this on my road bike, xc bike and my free ride bike. No problems, no breaks. I have been very happy with this chain. Very light and if you use www.qbike.com you can find them pretty cheap. I do alot of racing NORBA, Xterra, 24 hour races and have had no problems.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great chain, light, cheap, POWER LINK rocks.

Favorite Trail:   John's Trail Park City Utah

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, KMC, Connex

Bike Setup:   Road bike= Giant Carbon fiber, FSA compact crank
XC bike= Rocky Mountain element 70
Free Ride= Giant Reign 1

Submitted by Dave Mennenoh a Racer from Waukesha, WI

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2005

Strengths:    Good shifting, powerlink

Weaknesses:    Breaks too easily

Bottom Line:
I've had two of these chains this summer and both of them broke. The second one broke at the powerlink connector - I guess it came apart and fell off. I like the powerlink feature but I think I am going back to Shimano and getting a Craig superlink for it.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Marin frame, SRAM X-9

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Strength

Bottom Line:
I have had this chain break trice in the last three rides. Both times it was not at the power link. One time I was seated and spinning uphill and the other time I was standing up going uphill. I weigh 170lbs and my bike is less than 20lbs. I do not trust this chain. Every component on the bike was brand new when the chain was installed.

Bike Setup:   XC racing hardtail, Complete Sram X0 drivetrain with twist grips

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    Powerlink is easy to use and facilitates chain cleaning and drivetrain maintenance , Shifts well, quiet, lasts

Bottom Line:
I've been using PC-99 chains for the last 5 or more years and I have never experienced a single failure. I don't understand people's difficulty operating the powerlink. The powerlink is very easy to use; just squeeze the sideplates toward each other, then push the ends of the chain toward each other. This removes the opposing tension which holds the link in place and the link pops right out with the flick of a finger. With regular cleaning and lube, I've gotten a year of use from one chain.

I generally like the upper-end Shimano chains as well,but have experienced one failure (out of many chains). The powerlink works great with the Shimano chains too.

I have not tried the new Sram chains or the hollow pin version of the PC-99.

BTW I weigh about 165 and ride XC pretty much exclusively.

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   05 Racer X 100, X9 triggers, XO rear der, XTR front der, XTR crank, XT cassette, XTR discs w/XT levers, Fox F100X fork, RP3 shock, Crossmax SL disc wheels,Ritchey Excavader tires, FSA XC190 bars, Ritchey WCS stem, Thomson seatpost, SLR saddle, Time ATAC carbon pedals.