Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-971 Chain

2.41/5 (61 Reviews)

Like the PC-990, the PC-971 features inner and outer plate designs that offer faster and more accurate shifting at a more affordable price.

Submitted by Davd Hill a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    Last a long time. Never had one break.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely impossible to install a new chain with the new power links. Will not go on despite an hour of trying. As always, I wind up installing the OLD power links (the ones off the chain I just trashed) and they go on easily. There is something terribly wrong with their quality control that causes the new power links to balk at being installed properly.

Bottom Line:
Pain in the rear to install with new links. Otherwise fairly long lasting and never seem to break. I am on my 4th set and initially decided to use them so that if the chain broke out on the road, I could simply detach a full link and use the power link to fix the chain. However since they never seem to fail, I have decided to go with the usual Shimano chains for the future.

Bike Setup:   Surly Long Haul Trucker - has mountain bike gearing for the hills I ride on.

Submitted by NF

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
this chain came as standard on my new surly long haul trucker. after a week of short-distance commuting and one long-ish ride (80k in good conditions) the chain snapped in two. NOT recommended.

Submitted by Cavpilot

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Good price. Shifts well.

Weaknesses:    Not a bad road bike chain, but a horrible MTB chain. I've had 2 of them now and broke them both. The last one was on the first ride on the new chain.

Bottom Line:
As a long time roadie, I've had great performance from SRAM chains. However on my mountain bike they have been an utter failure (literally!)

Submitted by Y5e7t5i a Weekend Warrior from South Florida USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Broke on first ride 1.6 miles.

Bottom Line:
Own it. Not sure who should buy it. Tried the SRAM as suggested by a very experienced buddy. First ride I got 1.6 miles into it and it broke. Replacing it with a Shimano HG-93 like I had before which logged over 2,000 on it. Jenson was great got a credit for it and purchased new Shimano HG-93.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG-93 previous chain went over 2,00o miles now problems at all.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Pro build

Submitted by rmillet a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    No issues, shifts well, no sticky links ever, quick link doesn't disconnect itself under slack/slap.

Weaknesses:    Stretch after 1300-1500 miles (normal?)

Bottom Line:
Good chain, I got 1/2 link stretch after 1300-1500 miles (1.5years). I weigh 210 and horse my bike, so I expect chain growth. This chain never disconnected itself (which I had sachs chains do twice on my old bike...both times quick links bent....). This chain never let me down through some nasty rocky rooty stuff.

I just replaced this chain with another 971, no reason for me to change, has performed flawlessly.

Favorite Trail:   Dry Fast Ones

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Sach/Sedis, Z chains, Shimano

Bike Setup:   '09 DB Sortie3

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Magaliesburg

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    Affordable

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
Good, affordable chain. Has done around 2800km with me, am replacing now before there is wear on the rest of the drivetrain parts. No problems at all. I ride for 2 or 3 rides, take it off, soak in Kleen Green, dry, relube and ride again!
Rides are around 30-40km in dry or muddy conditions.

Purchased At:   Krugersdorp

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   2009 GT Avalanch 1 (Shimano HG50 cogset & FSA crankset)

Submitted by onewheelskyward a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, strong chain. shifting is just fine even when mixed with Shimano drivetrain. Powerlink is amazingly simple and reusable.

Bottom Line:
I put two of these chains on my Big Dummy (the chain length is 14 shy of two whole chains). 18 months and 3,000 miles later, it finally died. It did die in the same manner as some other posters, with a link giving up the ghost. The Powerlinks are still in place and looking good. My shifting started getting vague a little after 2k, which is twice the life I expected out of it. I really wanted to stress test the chain to see what would happen.

I will be buying two more of these chains to replace the ones I broke. Next time, I might replace them at 2,500 miles. :)

Favorite Trail:   Blackrock

Purchased At:   Local bicycle shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG-73

Bike Setup:   Big Dummy. Large longtail. 57lbs built up.

Submitted by Vic Commuter a Weekend Warrior from West Coast, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Decent price vs weight compared to Shimano offerings, supposed to mesh better with the (imo) superior sram cassettes, powerlink

Weaknesses:    Second chain to fail under load, also wears faster than the XT chains I've used

Bottom Line:
Second mid level SRAM chain I've had that has failed under heavy load and in traffic; this newest one was bought four months ago with entire drive train so no worn cog issues, no pin replacements or weakened links.

I had thought I was maybe being hard on chains (despite regular cleaning and lube,) since the previous blew out three times (removed the link each time) after a few months of daily 15 min commute. I'm 170 lb, dont shift under load and while I sprint sometimes I dont use this bike for anything other than road riding.
This recent failure threw me in front of a car (it stopped) and has caused heavy damage to my bike (and me heh) as well as ruining my helmet. IF YOU ARE UNSURE IF THIS CHAIN IS STRONG THEN ENOUGH ITS NOT! SPEND THE EXTRA AND GET A BETTER CHAIN or ride like a granny I guess

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, Ultegra, PC991

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Home Grown '98 frame built with road/XC component mix for super light commuter

Submitted by 56cbr600rr a Racer from Canton, ga

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Good price and resistant to rust/corrosion.

Weaknesses:    Stretch.

Bottom Line:
I'd compare it to a dura ace/ xtr chain, which makes it a good deal. However in roughly 140 miles and one race at ft yargo it's stretched 1/8 of an inch when measuring 12 inches. Therefore shifting awful now. I'm not a spinner however, I am in the big front ring often and ride aggressively, however I shift pretty gently.

I'm gonna try the 991 cross step next.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets creek/Chicopee/snake creek

Purchased At:   Outspokin

Similar Products Used:   Xt/xtr/dura-ace

Bike Setup:   2009 giant anthem x2. Crossmax slr. Maxxis Aspen. Raceface next sl carbon bar and seatpost. Gore sealed cables. Wtb grips. Specialized toupe saddle.

Submitted by icecoled007 a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    n/a

Weaknesses:    Broke first ride out

Bottom Line:
Took it out on my first ride, and it snapped. Chain never has been used before. Pulled out chain tool to remove link and keep riding. 15 minutes later it snapped again. DO NOT buy, most just come on the bike from LBS.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Similar Products Used:   Other Sram chains

Bike Setup:   Specilized 29er

Submitted by eneff a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to add/remove links. No issues.

Bottom Line:
I'm a 190 pound pedal masher and I've got a not-so-fast to engage rear hub - I've really cranked on this chain a number of times. I'm surprised it hasn't broken. I've not had any issue after a year plus of riding it. And, I have taken links out of this chain to shorten it and that does not seem to have weakened it at all. I have broken a Shimano chain and a SRAM 951 so I will stick with the SRAM 971.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano chains, PC 951.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX

Submitted by reamer41 a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2010

Strengths:    Strength, durabiity, good shifting, quiet running, reasonably priced.

Weaknesses:    none. could be lighter, but you'll pay more.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this chain for several years on several bikes. I replace it before it's totally worn out (so my rings & cogs don't wear) and I've never had a problem. As well as my Superlight, I use this chain on my Ventana Tandem MTB. Loaded weight for the tandem is about 420lbs, and 2 sets of legs are driving -- Lots of Torque. Never had a problem on the tandem bike with this chain. Sometimes shifting under power (stoker might not know I'm shifting) and never a problem with the chain. I've used abut a dozen of these chains on a handful of bikes. Never a problem. I can't believe the poor reviews. Rider or mechanic error?

Similar Products Used:   Shinano

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, and Ventana Tandem

Submitted by dr13zehn a Weekend Warrior from Mississippi

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, changes gears smoothly, not terribly heavy, power link...

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any.

Bottom Line:
I mainly added this review because I truly believe that most of the people that have problems with their chains and write bad reviews either don't do proper maintenance or force shifts or something else that is a user related problem.

This chain is not the best there is, but it does it's job well, can be had for very little money online and doesn't weigh all that much.

What else do you want?!?

Submitted by bramasol a Weekend Warrior from Lima, Peru

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    looks good, powerlink

Weaknesses:    material is way too weak

Bottom Line:
PC971 a chain for road biking. I used this chain probably 5 times and snapped on me once climbing a small hill, found out one of the links was bended. Three rides later started having trouble shifting, not knowing why I continued and ended up breaking the middle plate. Today one ride later (5th on this chain) while cleaning the chain I noticed the chain was twisted, yep, a couple linkes were bended which explains why I was having trouble shifting. I'm looking for another chain, definitely will NOT be another PC971.

Favorite Trail:   Pachacamac - Chacritas