Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-951 Chain

1.95/5 (39 Reviews)

The wallet-friendly 951 chain still packs a performance punch. It features chrome-hardened rivet pins for enhanced durability. IncludesThe same Powerlink closure as SRAMsTop-end chains for easy assembly Claimed weight: 297 grams 114 links Compatible with 9spd SRAM orShimano drivetrains

Submitted by Indy Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    Low price

Weaknesses:    None in my experience

Bottom Line:
Had a few of these. I ride 1250 miles on one side, then flip and ride 1250 on the other, then replace. All road bike miles. Never had any problems with breaking, etc.. So, an o.k. product for the $.

Submitted by tom Recane

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap?

Weaknesses:    unsafe

Bottom Line:
Mine just broke. I installed it last fall and did very little riding. I went for my first ride this year on the bike. 7 miles in, I was stopped at a light. Just as I started, it broke before I could clip in. My pedal went down out of control and as I tipped over the chain ring caught my shin and gave me a nice gash and goose egg. Stay away from this junk.

Submitted by Iustin

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    it breaks

Bottom Line:
Don't get fooled by the price of this chain, the thing is a safety hazard! I have used 2 of them, both have broken, this hasn't happend to me with any other chain.

Similar Products Used:   KMC, Shimano

Submitted by jon

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    none,just a poor product which lets down srams name

Weaknesses:    the chain itself,the health and safety people should be informed about this chain

Bottom Line:
So i bought two of these chains both broke after just a week,strangely not at the press on links which is where you would expect it to break.

Submitted by vggg a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2011

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    very weak
breaks easily

Bottom Line:
Crappy chain - broke 3 times after approx 2 monthes of riding. Yesterday the chain break caused me to go for a digger.
Previous chain was a PC-971 that lasted over 4 years of hard riding from Moab to Fruita to my home town.
Don't buy this chain!

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-971

Bike Setup:   Titus ML '07

Submitted by Luke000 a Cross Country Rider from Grosse Pointe, Mi

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2011

Strengths:    It transfers power from the crank to cassette when its not skipping or snapping.

Weaknesses:    WEAK!

Bottom Line:
The chain came on my new bike, I have made a few rides on it. The last two rides it has started skipping, then has snapped 3 times when am climbing all in different points on the chain. I have survived because I carry a chain tool while riding, I pop out a link and throw it back on. By the end of my 17 mile ride (2 snaps) today I lost the use of my 36 @ 34 cogs. I use other SRAM chains and cassettes but this one is JUNK. STEER CLEAR OF THIS CHAIN!!

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   pc-991, KMC's

Bike Setup:   Trek Sawyer, RST M-29 fork, LX STI levers, XTR rear derailleur, tubeless.

Submitted by sjpendleton a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Runs somewhat smooth

Weaknesses:    Breaks frequently

Bottom Line:
I ran a SRAM PC 971 for a year and a half with zero problems and was happy with it, it even had very little wear. I replaced my chainring and cassette for different gearing and figured I should replace my chain at the same time, so I found this on sale for really cheap and figured it should be nearly as good. Wrong. I've put maybe 10 rides on it and it's broken on three of them. Luckily I carry a chain tool and can fix it trailside by removing links, but this last time made it too short. It's going in the trash and the 971 is going back on. Apparently there's a bigger difference between the two than the nickel finish...

Favorite Trail:   Placerita/Los Pinetos

Purchased At:   chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC 971

Bike Setup:   1x9

Submitted by JBiker a Weekend Warrior from Peoria IL USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Quick disconnect is easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I used the chain for less than a month before it broke at a link that wasn't the quick disconnect forcing me to walk back to the trail head.

Bike Setup:   Hard tail mountain bike

Submitted by Ghousen a Racer from georgia

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    brand new skips like crazy on a new sram kit

Bottom Line:
I rebuilt this bike from the ground up and was having major issues with the chain skipping when under any load whatsoever. I spent 3 nights reindexing the derailleur, trying 3 different wheelsets with 3 different cassettes, quadruple checking the chain length and STILL was having the same problem. Frustrated and just giving up, thinking i may have to just take it into the bike shop... i just went to bed.

waking up the next morning, it came to me... the only constant was this brand new SRAM pc-951 chain. So i took an old KMC chain (thankfully the same length as i needed), cleaned and relubed it, installed it... BAM.... perfect! no skipping at all. I could stand and push up steep hills and it was good to go.

Now, the PC-951 chain is going back where is came from and I will never buy a SRAM chain ever again.... and that is saying a lot from me as I tout the greatness of SRAM to all. BUT .... all of my SRAM setups have KMC chains... go figure.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   KMC ... only buy these when you need a new chain

Bike Setup:   this chain went on a novara randonee rebuild

Submitted by peteuga a Racer from Palmetto, GA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    I have had at least 2 of these chains, maybe more I don't remember. I bought the last one about a year ago and keep it very well lubed but it always seemed to be corroded but I didn't think much about it until I just read all of the other reviews, I guess that is a problem with this chain. I just put a new one on my bike about 4 or 5 rides ago, the sales man tried to sell me a better one but I thought its just a chain what difference does it make and I didn't want to spend the money since I had just spend several hundred on a new Headset and Fork. Well now I know why it was cheap it just broke on me. Luckily it was only a 1.5 mile walk back to the truck and I didn't go over the handle bars. Well I am going to order a new chain now as I don't trust this POS even though I was able to fix it with an old master link. So now I will have around $100 invested in my next chain after you add what I just spent on this one two weeks ago.

Bottom Line:
POS don't buy it, it will give you nothing but trouble and it will end up costing you more money in the end.

Favorite Trail:   Cochran Mill

Purchased At:   Atlanta Trek (Peacht

Submitted by Scott O a Weekend Warrior from Mars

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    shifted relatively well

Weaknesses:    completely corroded in my basement. I've got 7 other bikes down there and all of those other chains are fine. This thing completely froze in place.

Bottom Line:
replace it if it comes stock

Purchased At:   came stock

Submitted by Enob a Weekend Warrior from Dothan, Al

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    IT IS ITS OWN WEAKNESS. SNAP,SNAP,SNAP,CRACK,BEND,BREAK then flip your @$$ over the handle bars, gash/smash ankle,shin, and knee and damn near get hit by a car. FUN FUN FUN

Bottom Line:
This is the first and only chain i have ever had break in my life and damn neared killed me both times it broke. The first time it happened and i had to call my VERY amused wife to pick my standed and bleeding @$$ up. I thought it was a fluke and its not unheard of for a chain to break (crap happens). The second time i had to walk about few miles but lucky me i was close to one of the local bike shops.The owner showed mercy and fixed free of charge and sent me on my way.Did not acualy break the third time but i found an ugly deformed link that was about too.I came home found the following reviews and proptly purchaced a new and different chain from the super nice guy at Dothan Cycle and Fitness(John the Simpathetic)

Favorite Trail:   Any thing that looks like a trail

Purchased At:   Unreal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   NONE AND NEVER WILL

Bike Setup:   Unreal Senoir DJ/4X

Submitted by BudgetBiker a Racer from IL

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    cheep

Weaknesses:    strength

Bottom Line:
I bet this chain would hold up for anyone who is comuting or doing light riding, however for someone who races or intends to apply any amount of significant force,dont use this chain.

It came with a lightly used cyclocross style bike (previous owner claimed it had been ridden 25 miles. once i started riding it hard the problems began. Every time i cranked it hard the bike tried to shift. for the longest time i thought i had some monster frame flex due to a broken frame or something. figured out that the pin in a link was malfunctioning and not allowing the chain to bend along a curve. everytime it reached the rear cassette while i was applying significant force it attempted to change gears (most likely grinding down my grers)

The problem grew worse the more I applied force on the chain. I eventually figured it out and took out the bad link. (to be honest i was kinda relieved it was just the chain, would have been pissed if it was my dura-ace rear detailer) If it happens again I'll probably switch it out, which sucks b/c im a poor collage kid trying to support an expensive passion.... Biking..

I put low on the value b/c it ain't cheep if u have to replace it.

Purchased At:   came with bike frome

Bike Setup:   road and cyclocross

Submitted by l1egs a Weekend Warrior from ireland

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    this chain sucks broken 3 in just a few weeks.i only weigh 75 kgs so not a heavy rider. doesn't like going up hills.

Weaknesses:    doesn't have any strengths

Bottom Line:
buy anything else

Favorite Trail:   cooleys

Purchased At:   stock

Bike Setup:   felt redemption . stock

Submitted by Ericmopar a Weekend Warrior from Henderson Nv

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    Power link is easy to install

Weaknesses:    Doesn't wear as well as similar Shimano product. (HG 73)

Bottom Line:
I never got more than 4 months out of one of these. I couldn't believe it at first, so I started keeping records.
I finally bit the bullit and started buying the Shimano XT chains again.
I not only got twice the wear (6 - 8 months) but my entire drivetrain shifted better and started wearing much better.
The premature wear and stretching, was causing my entire drivetrain to wear prematurely.

Favorite Trail:   Any Where I Can Ride.

Similar Products Used:   Sram/Sachs PC-59/69.
Shimano HG 73/93, Dura Ace.

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle San Andreas Classic, set up for all mountain.