Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-69 (9 speed) Chain

3.56/5 (34 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

Championship winning performance priced for an enthusiast's budget. The PC-69 is SRAM's top of the line 9-speed chain. Finished off in a flashy silver finish, this chain is race-ready.
  • Use the PC-68 with 8-speed cassettes
  • Compatible with many manufacturer's 8/9 speed cassettes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    Never broke one. Can't say that about Shimano HG 92 abd 93. Master link

Weaknesses:    Other people seem to break them

Bottom Line:
    Not as bad as Shimano. How's that for a ringing endorsement.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   knobbies, etc.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, corrosion resistance, power link

Weaknesses:    warranty doesn't cover bad rider mistakes ;-)

Bottom Line:
    First off, I generally don't break chains...in fact, these PC-69's have suffered more bad luck than all the chains I've had previously combined (been riding over 12 years).

I'm on my third and last PC-69 (I purchased three in 2004) but the other two have not failed due to bad product. The first one failed due to a bad shift into my worn granny gear which caused major chain suck. This cracked a link...though it did not completely fail. I repaired it, no problems. This chain eventually was pieced together with the second chain. The second chain was on my Kona I used to own, and I essentually killed it by slipping my back wheel off a ladder and severely bending the chain by dragging it along the side of the ladder. The pieced together first and second chain actually lasted two years after that! The third chain is now on my Jamis and going strong.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG 93, KMC Z9900

Bike Setup:   2005 Jamis XLT

Submitted by Jonas a Cross Country Rider from Vaasa, Finland

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Strengths:    Worked well for almost 2 years, good shifting, no breaks.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy and somewhat expensive in Finland.

Bottom Line:
    I was very happy with the chain for almost 2 years, maybe 5000km in varying terrain. No problems until I noticed that shifting had become worse. When replacing I noticed that the chain had become about 1,5% longer...I guess it was the right time to replace it then:)

Favorite Trail:   Where pepper doesn't grow...

Purchased At:   Wasa Bikeservice

Similar Products Used:   Maybe some better shimanos are in the same class.

Bike Setup:   SantaCruz superlight, marzocchi marathon S, Hayes MAG+, Bontrager carbon cranks and bar, shimano XTR/XT, sunrace chain and cassette.

Submitted by BRIAN Schultz a Weekend Warrior from Inkster, MI U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2006

Strengths:    don't know yet ridden twice. shifts great

Weaknesses:    broke both times

Bottom Line:
    I have gone out twice so far and both times I broke this chain at the same place on the trail first time i thought it was a fluke second time no way i have a way way(02) older chain on another jamis that is still going strong that rode thoes same trails last year not a prob. I called greenfifsh said i bought this chain it broke twice he said 15.00 bucks i'll send you a new one. thanks thats kind of crappy got the new one right away though 2 days. i'll try it this weekend hopefully the next review will be better srams a great name in parts it all reviews well this chain is supossed to be great but some of the other reviews do say that it does break dont know if thier is a size limit i way 245 5'10 no probs ridding at my size for me

Favorite Trail:   maybury

Purchased At:   Greenfish sports

Similar Products Used:   shimano kmc

Bike Setup:   04 komodo frame (jenson usa)sram x-9 components sun rhyno lite rims hays hfx9 breaks marz mxcomp eta fork nevengal tires rafe face atlas crank

Submitted by M Star Lambert a Weekend Warrior from East Coast Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2006

Strengths:    Never fails, cleans easily, shifts good, power link gold

Weaknesses:    Could shift better on my FireX crank on 44 chainring

Bottom Line:
    Very durable, have never broken one, did manage to bend 1 link once just enough to notice it making a funny noise. Would definitely buy again. Easy to do maintenance. My only gripe is with it shifting to the highest chainring. I build bikes and tune my syetem on a regular basis but this chain slips a bit more than I would like going up to the big ring. The downshifts are quick and easy. Trying the PC-971 or 991 next supposed to shift better with Truvative per ad.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG-72

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed Team, Stylo Team, Marzocchi MX Comp ETA, custom Syncros wheelset, RaceFace carbon bar, etc. an XC blast

Submitted by dave from boise

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2005

Strengths:    long wear,power link,reliability.no chain tool.

Bottom Line:
    It has been interesting comparing hard tail to full suspension mbt drive train reliability,hardtail shifts better with longer wear on gears,chain,some ghost shifting on fuel but improved substantially with aztec powerline shift cables are there really any full suspension bikes with out shifting problems?.I am trying a whipperman chain for increased wear,I do not have any complaints about sram chains,I ride at least 4000 mile/year with no chain failure.shifting under a load.....no chain will hold up for long, pick your chainring BEFORE YOU START UP A KNARLY CLIMB.

Favorite Trail:   where there is no one.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   Ibex hard tail with sram x9 rear deraileur and sram x9 trigger shifters,race face x type crank.Fuel 90 with xt rear deraileur,rocket trigger shifters,xt cranks.both with sram pc-69 chain.

Submitted by Ted a Cross Country Rider from Westland, MI

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, reliable and the powerlink makes cleaning a breeze. Buddies who break their chains always thank me when I give them some of my extra power links to fix their chain on the trail. What a spare tire concept that is!

Weaknesses:    None. I'm surpised by the number of 'weak' postings. I snapped my first shimano chain on the 2nd ride. I've never broken a SRAM chain, but I do replace them once to twice a year. I crank hard on uphills and SRAM never lets me down.

Bottom Line:
    After breaking the shimano chain that came with the bike on the 2nd ride I switched to SRAM (at the time Sachs) and have never broken another chain. I put a LOT of torque and the only weakness is the fact I find out about ring wear real quickly when I switch to a new chain every few months. The ability to quickly take the chain off after a ride and dump it in lacquer thinner to clean it is an incredible time saver. I stock up when I see them on sale.

Favorite Trail:   Tree Farm

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   XC Specialized. . XT cranks, LX cassette as well as SRAM cassettes. XT/LX derailleurs.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Wilmot, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2005

Strengths:    I like the idea of a master link over a master pin. Shifted smoothly.

Weaknesses:    Cracked a link in half the first month of riding.

Bottom Line:
    I like Sram's products and have had little not to like about the quality they put out but this chain has left Me scratching my head. I said that it cracked in half as a weakness because the link plate that failed litteraly fractured into little fragments in the middle of a ride! I think I might have just gotten a bad apple. All in all I would have to say that I would still buy/ride a sram chain but I'll be keeping a good o'l Shimano chain in my pack from now just in case!

Similar Products Used:   Most on the market

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler set up for all mountain/free ride.

Submitted by Bainbridge a Weekend Warrior from Durham

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Smoother than a shimano and very easy to remove and fit. Very little chain suck compared to the shimano

Weaknesses:    It broke after about 100 miles. A link snapped in half. it didnt look like it had been manufactured right under close inspection, the material was a little porus. the chain was then fixed but then the power link snapped, probably due to the first break.

Bottom Line:
    Chain was great virtually no suck and so easy to take off for maintenance etc. But it broke twice, then a sram x9 trigger shifter broke on the same ride. I'm starting to question the durability of the gear. very nice when it works mind.

Favorite Trail:   Glestress

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   zaskar xtr, xo derailier, formula 9.5 brakes (pain in the a$$)

Submitted by Bernie a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, lasts very long. Does what a chain should. Include powerlink

Weaknesses:    Well if you count rust which i dont, then i guess its a weakness

Bottom Line:
    This is a product which i will always buy. I think it could be a bit cheaper, most places average around 20 and shimano chains seem to be cheaper. But this also comes with the powerlink so its okay. The powerlink included is a blessing, i cant say enough about this thing. The chain has lasted well, ive put probably close to 1k miles on it. IT has survived the winter with NH road salt and a very muddy spring. I did find some rust on it, but its partially my fault since i lubed the chain with pedros ice wax on a wintery ride. Since i used oil i have detected no rust. It does what a chain should and does it flawlessly.
    5 stars for overall because it has really lasted and i believe still has much life left
    4 for value because it just seems a bit pricey

Submitted by burt toast a Cross Country Rider from north shore

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2005

Strengths:    cheap,strong,lasts 1500kms

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    i have used three of these chains ,i have not experienced any problems other than normal wear.i ride muddy,steep single trac all winter long ,no problem ever with this chain.change it every 6 months and you'll have nothing to worry about.dont be a cheap skate,it costs money to have fun.

Favorite Trail:   hard ones

Similar Products Used:   shimano hg93

Bike Setup:   kona dog primo

Submitted by Clint R a Cross Country Rider from Marin County, CA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    This is a durable chain. I recently climbed 8 thousand feet at Tahoe on a trip and the chain performed well. Even after knocking the chain off the cogs on technical decents the chain hung tough.

Weaknesses:    Carry S-Ram power link gold spares. I bent the power link on the ride and installed a pin to get home. The chain is not designed for pins, this caused rough shifting.

Bottom Line:
    I haven't tried all the chains out there, but this is a better result than the Shimano products I have tried. Doesn't bend as easily and doesn't break as easily.

Give it a try

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano chains - have not been as durable for me - 190 lbs 6'+ feet tall.

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback 3.0 (2003) - Sid airshock

Submitted by James Howery a Cross Country Rider from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    I've used these off and on for years. I broke a few over the years, but they were better than the shimano chains at the time.

Weaknesses:    Nothing special anymore, shimanos latest CN7701 holds up way better for me. I broke my last PC69 a few days ago, after less than a month of use. Broke it climbing in the granny gear. Not worth it compared to the next-generation of shimano chains

Bottom Line:
    Not that special anymore..will work for a while, but doesn't hold up as well as dura ace/XTR.

Favorite Trail:   various