Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-48 (8 speed) Chain

4.09/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

Designed for 8-speed systems, road or off-road, the PC-48 was made for smooth shifting in all conditions. It features increased corrosion resistance and improved strength.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Poughkeepsie

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    Purchased this chain to replace my stock chain. Workd great & is very easy to take off & put back on, yet is extremly strong.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Very good chain, strong & dependale. Great for the price. Oh yes they still make this product you just have to look for it.

Submitted by Steve Fairclough a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap and strong

Weaknesses:    They dont make it anymore

Bottom Line:
At $5 i figured i would buy a bunch as I wanted to experiment with gear combinations for my singlespeed project (I like to keep gears/chains as sets). Finally figured-out my best setup (32/16) and have around 1500 kms on this chain.

I have mashed the cr*p out of this and it has NEVER let me down. Rarely do I even clean it and I still can't measure any noticeable wear.

Possibly the best value mountain bike part I have ever bought!

Favorite Trail:   The next one

Purchased At:   Toronto bike show

Similar Products Used:   PC 68, PC 69

Bike Setup:   Misfit singlespeed

Submitted by Simon Broekhuizen a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2005

Strengths:    Price - cheapest chain at L.B.S.

Weaknesses:    Stretchy for sprinter like me.
Any chain rusts if you don't take proper care of it that's just a rediculous comment to me. Keep it greased.

Bottom Line:
Doing intensive 2 hour MTB rides almost daily. Used for about two months.
Only reason why I will continue using this chain is because of it's powerlink, availability and price.\
Chain is very important part of your bike, more important than cassette and cogs i like to believe.
I can't believe someone has used this chain for 3 months.
Maybe i should increase my cadence a bit and save some money.
Get used to the fact that chains wear out and REPLACE THEM ON TIME!

Purchased At:   Rangiora Pushbikes

Similar Products Used:   X

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Rem M. from Richland, Washington, United States

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2004

Strengths:    Everything about this chain is perfect.

Weaknesses:    requires cleaning, wieght?? it doesnt have any.

Bottom Line:
Everything about this chain is perfect I have had 2 in the last 2 years. 1 was on my BMX race bike and bmxers abuse the hell out of chains and now I have it on my Diamondback Xts 04. I need a new chain now, only because this one is too short for my needs. If you go through chains non stop and cannot afford a more expensive chain try this chain out, for me its the best I can get.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Scotts

Similar Products Used:   KMC drop buster, shimano HG-91

Bike Setup:   Diamondback XTS 04 with MRP Bash Guard and Boomerang, demolition grips custom "camando" seatpost.

Submitted by Saddlesore a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Strengths:    it is strong, shifts reasonably well.

Weaknesses:    it ould be smoother for its shifts

Bottom Line:
Even after switching to an XTR cassette I was happy to keep this new chain. Compared to the others that I had tried, it lasted longer and was stronger than the others. Chains are alot a bout luck, but I must admit, when I had this bike I reefed on the pedals in way high gears, I was not a spinner like I am now with my gimpy knees. It is a strong chain. In many ways it makes me miss having the durability of 8 speed.If I had the cash I would get some 8speed XTR on my current rig. it just worked better, except for that nasty chainsuck in the granny.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment Co-Op

Similar Products Used:   various mid-level shimano chains, and a Taya

Bike Setup:   1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race (at the time)

Submitted by andrew phillips a Cross Country Rider from stevens point

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    none that i can think of....

Weaknesses:    horrible chain, i only had it because it came with my GT bike. The piece of sh*t broke in 2 days!!! My friends tell me i am the gentlest on the shifters, so it couldnt have been me being hard on the chain.

Bottom Line:
LOOK GUYS, DONT BE DUMBSH*TS AND ACTUALLY PAY MONEY FOR A CHAIN THIS HORRIBLE... THESE STUPID PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY'VE HAD THEIR CHAIN FOR HOWEVER MANY YEARS MUST BE ABSOLUTE PUSSIES ON THE BIKE... GO WITH THE PC 68 AS THE OTHER GUY SAID...I DONT KNOW ABOUT THESE OTHER GUYS, BUT I PEDDLE MY ASS OFF AND DEMAND THE BEST! IF ONLY NEGATIVE NUMBERS OF CHILI'S EXSISTED!!! ABSOLUTE CRAP...

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   all around...

Bike Setup:   GT aggressor 1.0 frame, tru vativ stylo team crankset, XT in the back, 9.0 cassette, XT rear shifter

Submitted by tom from ithaca

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    SUCKS!!! THIS THING HAD HEAVY RUST AFTER 4 DAYS

Weaknesses:    rusts, rusts, rusts, rusts, rusts

Bottom Line:
Do not buy the PC-48 chain, make sure to buy the PC-68 chain. You will be wasting money if you don't, and you'll kick yourself in the ass. I love SRAM chains, but the PC-48 (intro model low performance chain) sucks chef's chocolate salty balls.

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   PC-68

Submitted by Robert Thompson a Cross Country Rider from Leicester / uk

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    shows no signs of corrosion and wear even after 1 year of use, doesnt jump teeth under extreme acceleration, *easy to fix if you carry a spare link.

Bottom Line:
A chain that gives a higher end Shimano one a run for its money. Would buy same product again when this one wears out.

Favorite Trail:   Charnwood Forest, uk

Purchased At:   Halfords superstore, Loughborough

Similar Products Used:   lower-end shimano hg chain

Bike Setup:   Viper f-40 elite frame (www.woollyhatshop.com), wieniemen 512 rims, Panracer smoke, avid sd 2.0 brakes, shimano stx groupset, Bomber Z4's

Submitted by Joshua a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    very easy maintenance, smooth shifting, reliable, strong, great value

Weaknesses:    a bit stretchy, but only under high stress like sprinting

Bottom Line:
this chain is definitely worth its price. the powerlink feature is so simple and easy to use. i can now get the chain on and off w/o tools and w/o worries about weakened pins. the only drawback is that the chain stretched and skipped a bit when i sprinted hard off the line. other than that, this chain is reliable, easy to clean, cheap, and a great performer

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Submitted by MikeO a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2001

Strengths:    The powerlink is the smartest chain feature known to man.

Weaknesses:    They aren't free.

Bottom Line:
The Sram chains are great. I have been riding the PC 58 for the last 2 years and just switched to the PC 48 because it is cheaper. I can't notice any difference between the two, other than the color. You can find the PC 48 for 10 bucks at some places and this is a deal. I have found the Sram chains to me much more reliable than the shimano chains, hands down. There is absolutely no difference in shifting performance between the Shimano and Sram chains (at least with my bike set-up). Through my experiences, I have found that the Sram chains don't break or stretch as much as the Shimano ones (I weigh about 180lbs). The best thing about the Sram chains is the Power-link. This feature makes it so easy to take off your chain and clean it, something that should be done fairly often if you want crisp shifting. No chain tools to hassle with and no weakened pins from pushing them in and out. The one Sram chain that I have broken did not break at the Powerlink. Also, I use "BeauShield" lubricant (it uses patents from Boeing). This synthetic lube works really good with Sram chains (or any for that matter), I recommend it as well.

Favorite Trail:   All of them