Home | Reviews | Chain | SRAM

SRAM PC-1 Single Speed Chain

3.24/5 (17 Reviews)

SRAM PC-1 Single Speed chains. An excellent choice for all singlespeed bicycle applications, including older 1 speed bikes like beach cruisers, etc. as well asTodays high-end singlespeed MTBs. 332 grams 114 links

Submitted by 251 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive, reliable, quiet

Bottom Line:
I've used several PC1 chains, all nickel plated, for many years and have never had a problem. They're cheap, shiny and reliable. What else could you want?

Duration Product Used:   Many years

Purchased At:   Different Shops

Similar Products Used:   Many other Shimano, Wippermann, SRAM chains

Bike Setup:   Single speeds with various rings and cogs: 1/8", 3/32", Surly, HBC, Shimano

Submitted by PoisonDartFrog a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Breaks easily

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy (6'4" 220#) and I single-speed on the DORBA trails in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and I have snapped two of these chains. The pins have failed me on only moderately difficult climbs out of the saddle. The first time it failed, I blamed myself - perhaps when I broke and sized the chain, I didn't evenly reset the pin the when I put it back together. So I put it on my daughters bike and got another.

A month or so later, I snapped the new one, too. Again, pin failure. This time I was meticulous about how I broke and reassembled the chain. I inspected the broken chain, and discovered two more side plates that were pulling off of the pins. In other words, multiple links were also on the verge of failure.

If you are a big guy, or are a rider who lays down a lot of power, you may want to consider more robust options.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore Grapevine

Purchased At:   RBM Frisco

Similar Products Used:   KMZ, SRAM

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed

Submitted by Michael Stewart

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Good chain, nickel plated, and I ride a Felt 24" Dirt Jumper, "Felt Brink" 2012 model. My KMC chain wore out quick and became very loose due to stretching almost instantly (after a couple months). Bottom line, this is a great chain for bmx/fixed gear riders. Also, to the comments above about this SRAM PC1 Nickel chain: Do any of you keep your chain lubricated? If not, check out Rock n Roll lubrication and read the directions.

Weaknesses:    None so far, and I ride a 24" BMX Dirt Jumper (Felt Brink). I paid $20 at Elite Bicycles in Tyler, TX.

Bottom Line:
Good chain, better than my KMC and the KMC Rust Buster.

Submitted by PeT

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    It's a chain and it doesn't break instantly.

Weaknesses:    Worst construction of all SRAM chains, sloppy and noisy on any drive chain.

Bottom Line:
Used it when I started single speeding but it was always popping. Went to a standard SRAM 8 speed chain and all became good. It also became worn really fast. Not worth even the modest price.

Submitted by januhhh a Racer from Kraków, Poland

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    Looks pretty good, the snap-lock connector really is easy to use and seems to really do the job. Not heavy, by my standards.

Weaknesses:    Haven't noticed any, so far. Looks like I overpaid which wouldn't be the first time with this particular LBS, but I was in a hurry so had no choice.

Bottom Line:
Unlike many previous reviewers, I've had absolutely no problem with the installation of the chain or its performance. The included snap lock connector works just as it says in the manual. I replaced a very worn chain and aluminium sprocket with this PC-1 and a Tokyo Fixed cog, so my general impression has been absolutely positive: the drivetrain is dead silent now, no skipping, NO stiff links at all and it's probably the best-looking SS chain I've ever had.

My first use of the PC-1 was at the Red Bull Mini-Drome in Warsaw and I managed to get to the quarter-finals, possibly thanks to the new chain, wink, wink.

Favorite Trail:   around town all day

Purchased At:   TWR

Similar Products Used:   Shimano CN-NX10 (Nexus), Futura SS chain, Dartmoor Vert half-link.

Bike Setup:   Low-end "Rekord" Soviet track frame, FSA 48t chainwheel, Tokyo Fixed 17t cog.

Submitted by AmethystMoon a Racer from Baltimore, MD USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2010

Strengths:    Nickel plated, strong, pretty, low cost

Weaknesses:    Noisey and stiff

Bottom Line:
it would be awesome if it wasn't for the noise and stiffness. One reviewer has me a little baffled, I've been out in rain quite a few times because I commute every day on it and it hasn't shown any signs of rust.

Favorite Trail:   Jones Falls

Similar Products Used:   KMCs

Bike Setup:   SS/fixed custom painted Purple brougham frame and fork, 18T Surley cog, 110/130 48t origin8 crankset, Green Velocity Deep V rims laced to Paul track hubs, green King headset everything else is stock so far

Submitted by Tom a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, Good looking, Widely available at any shop in UK

Weaknesses:    Terrible rust resistance

Bottom Line:
I used this chain for a couple of months without any problems, maybe stretched couple of mms, It was a bit noisy but hey who cares after the price paid for it.. Anyways everything was great until I rode it in a rainy day. Now the chain is covered with rust... I never had this problem with KMCs and I am not talking about the KMC rustbusters. If you are living in a dry environment then its a good chain otherwise dont even be bothered with..
Cheers.

Similar Products Used:   KMCs

Bike Setup:   Fixed

Submitted by Yo! a Downhiller from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    Burly, thick, heavy, tough. Black or silver, powerlink, 1/8.

Weaknesses:    Wide, had to space bash to prevent interference.

Bottom Line:
I think most of the SSers reviewing this chain have no idea how to properly use a chain breaker.

I ride urban freeride and destroy chains; this one has held up with minimal maintenance. It's a strong, tough, tried and true workhorse chain that costs $10. It's like a freakin motocross chain.

If I didn't have to go with a half link, I'd run only PC-1.

Favorite Trail:   Downtown

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Sram 9spd

Bike Setup:   2007 Identiti Dr. Jekyll jump bike

Submitted by Julius a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, nickel plated, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Very, very, and I mean very stiff links after tensioning.

Bottom Line:
I'm having a real gripe with the links. They are stiff as heck! When I power down it sometimes skips and I am definitely damaging my cog and chain. At least it's cheap.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Soma Juice SS

Submitted by Raghavan from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap, works

Weaknesses:    Stiff links

Bottom Line:
It's an OK chain, but it's cheap. It does have a lot of stiff links which means a LOT of chain skip while mashing hard.

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Bike Setup:   '05 HR Comp

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, US

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap, sexy nickel plating, durable, easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Makes my bike that more attractive to would be theives...

Bottom Line:
This is a good chain, it looks great, won't rust, won't jump, and well... it's nickel plated. I'll never again buy a non nickel plated chain. This bike is running at 52t by 17t, which is pretty damn steep, I also resist and do my share of skid stops, so that should speak to it's durability. Never had a stiff link either.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   None... first singlespeed!

Bike Setup:   80's Puegeot ten speed converted with track hubs, Zac wheels, bullhorn bar, carbon fiber fork, centerpull brake with red kool stop V-brake pads pulled by a Deore LX lever.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from MD

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    It has been a good solid preformer for me. Low cost and durable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
A good solid inexpensive chain for SS. Would buy again.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   Fetish Fixation, Raceface DH crank/BB, XT hubs w/ Sun rinolite rims. WTB werewolf front/Tioga Factory XC rear, Kore stem and HB, WTB saddle

Submitted by Mike from PA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap. It works.

Weaknesses:    None yet after 3 years.

Bottom Line:
I know I'm going against the crowd on this one but I have no gripes with this chain. Been using them for 3 years on my SS.