Shimano SLX Dyna-Sys CN-HG74 Chain

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

DesignedTo perfectly mesh withShimano 10-speed HyperGlide cogs for smooth shifting and long life. 10 speed mtb specific chain Asymmetrical and directional for perfect shifting Zinc Alloy plating Advance pin riveting Optimized for muddy conditions Works with SRAM orShimano 10 speed mtb drivetrains Approximate weight 273 grams

Submitted by rufio

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Shifts well all the time. Inexpensive as I order them online during sales.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Hasn't let me down in over a year of riding. I only broke one of these and I also broke the derailleur and 6 spokes on the rear wheel, totally my fault. It works for me. I don't cross chain if I can ever avoid it, and I replace them when my chain checker recommends I do it. I lube it when its squeaky, done and done.

Submitted by Dan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    114 links of weakness

Bottom Line:
I have had several break, I do use the shimano replacement pins when re-connecting the chains, except when only 1/2 a link pops off, catching on the derailleur arm, breaking the derailleur and bending the hangar causing $200 worth of damage...or sometimes I just fall off the bike from the chain breaking.
Get a Connex...german, bulletproof.

Favorite Trail:   Da Wiss

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, CONNEX

Bike Setup:   Firebird

Submitted by ryguy135 a Racer from Derby, Ks

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, smooth, clean shifts

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I'm an XC racer. So far this chain has 35 hours and 450 miles of hard racing and training. Still shifts very smooth and is showing little wear. Just avoid cross chaining and I expect to get long life out of it. No chain suck issues at all with an FSA crankset.

Favorite Trail:   Thunderbird State park OK

Purchased At:   build kit

Bike Setup:   2008 Orbea Alma

Submitted by mountainbobb a Cross Country Rider from boiling springs pa

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    Shift great

Weaknesses:    this chain is weak

Bottom Line:
have ran both slx and xt chains on the shimano 3x10 drive train and i am breaking chains every 20 hrs of riding. my 13 yo son is breaking chains at about the same rate. we do ride steep climbs and ride hard, but have not had this many broken chains every. The plus is that this system shifts fast and positive.

Favorite Trail:   michaux