Shimano IG90 Chain

2.83/5 (53 Reviews)

Shimano IG90

Submitted by Peter from Washington D.C.

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2005

Strengths:    IG chains are better than any SRAM garbage that you can ever dish out.HG chains are relatively the same. The only advatage of IG's over the SRAM's and HG's is that they are ramped for quarter shifting, and SRAM'sd are not ramped.If you have a HG cassette, then it really doesn't matter what you put on there,as long as it maches the specs/ 7/8 or 9sp /.I have been biking with shimano chains for a long time now, and I have broken some chains...It is allways because of inproper instalation or abuse. Cros ringing, shifting under load,or cleaning a chain with mileage in an inproper way/I never had the "lack o' lube" problem. I think that the stuff is great, but if you want it to be reliable, you have got to learn the do's and don'ts of chain handling first. rust? what rust? I never had a rusted chain, even after riding in the snow for hours...it all about care and lube...and even if it rusts on the sideplates, that means nothing, chain is still fine...if you have stiff links from rust and oxydation, that is youor fault for not lubing it...

Weaknesses:    they do stretch sideways somewhat quickly if you do alot of hardcore ,under 1000 lbs torque pedaling, and the package preservation "grease" is too sticky and initially the chain attracts alot of sand and dust, but that can be taken care of otherwise nothing else...

Bottom Line:
good stuff, just got to know how to handle it and it's compatability features...

Purchased At:   secret

Similar Products Used:   pg90, pg 65, HG's, IG's, KMC's and others...

Bike Setup:   19'5 trek 4500 with dj3 fork,my own built wheels/dt fr 6.1/dt comp skokes/xt 756 36h/

Submitted by Jose Rodras a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Shimano brand.... nothing else

Weaknesses:    RUST! RUST! RUUUUUSSSSTTTTT!!!!!
Shimano has more than 20 years in the Bicycle business and still isn't capable to produce an anti-rust chain!

Bottom Line:
How it is possible that Shimano still produces a chain that rust so easily? Somebody said that the chain breakes by its weaker link... well, in this case, all the chain is weak!

Favorite Trail:   Sope Creek

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Original bike setup (SRAM, I guess)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F400 with Shimano XT components

Submitted by John Poulsen a Weekend Warrior from Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Made to match my XT's IG cogset for proper ramping. Smooth shifts. Availability.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I am a 220 lbs. rider who loves to hammer on the trails. I have used this chain over the past few years(not the same chain of course). I have not encounter any problems with the chain. I maintain my own bike and do my own work on it. This chain will last you as long as 1)- It is installed properly(i.e.-correct # of links for your set-up); 2)- That the pin(removable) is installed properly; 3)- Cleaned and lubed regularly; and lastly 4)- Change it regularly before it streches too much(which will make your cogs and rings wear too). I think that parts do fail(all by themselves) from time to time. However, by taking care in your shifts(mostly by timing), and keeping the chain clean & lubed will take you on many adventurous rides.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere I can ride

Similar Products Used:   shimano hg chains-no problems

Bike Setup:   Lots of high-end parts; but thats not what matters.

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    It's Shimano, so it mates to an XT/XTR drivetrain without any fuss

Weaknesses:    none really, it does what a chain does pretty well

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally broke this chain. And it's probably my fault because I was cross chaining when it happened (small ring up front, smallish ring in the bike. Add to that the fact that I had just put new shifter cables on the bike, and the bike was phantom shifting from the cable stretch. While climbing a hill, the bike tried to shift up, and POP. I took a link out and repaired it on the trail without problem.

I don't see why people have trouble with this chain breaking, I got at least 3 years of solid XC riding before mine snapped. I'm way overdue for a new chain anyway. But if you have a Shimano 8-speed drivetrain, I'd recommend it, unless you're a 200+ rider. The IG90 is not a huge, burly chain.

Similar Products Used:   Other Shimano HG chains

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon, previously Klein Pulse

Submitted by Gary Gao a Weekend Warrior from Shanghai, China

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Strengths:    durable, crisp shift, the nickel colour

Weaknesses:    skip a bit during the initial break-in period

Bottom Line:
until now i still use this chain with my old 8-speed xt cassette and crank. they cooperate flawlessly and make me comfy anywhere. however, the chainring and cassette cogs are worn out. i guess they can still last for at least 6 months without a problem. maybe this chain is not the best on the market,but it's one of the high-quality stuff. unfortunately it's not available any longer...

Similar Products Used:   sachs, another Shimano chain,i forgot its model

Bike Setup:   an old bridgestone frame, 8speed xt-xtr,psylo xc

Submitted by Clay a Cross Country Rider from yuma-az

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts allright,usually pretty quite.Low cost.Appearance(When new)

Weaknesses:    They wear-out.(as all things do)

Bottom Line:
They're quite with Xt chainrings-XTR cassette.(real quite)when new.Noisey with raceface chainring,(maybe it'll quiten down after some wear and I change the chain out)I try to change the chain every couple months or so.usually about 2000-3000 miles.That's about .75mm on the park chain checker.Much more than that it eats the cassette too.Slip-slip.I had one break on me,after about 5000 miles and a load of power.My dirt road bike I change them more often.But they're cheap.All my stuff is 8speed.Lasts a lot longer.(Lighter too) Bottom line buy em' use em' throw them away when they get tired.(I got hurt when that one broke)They work as good as anything else I've tried.In the past 5 years I've gone through alot of them 49872miles The last one I put on is a little noisey I'm blaming the chainring(Raceface)for now.XT chainring is usually very quite. I'm surprised they didn't get a better rating from everyone else.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   KMC, "And an expensive chain I got from nashbar that I can't remember the name.and diffrent IGs

Bike Setup:   Bikes:Cannondale Cad1.and a Gary-Fisher Paragon.and a road bike.(Building a "Litespeed""Tocca" also)

Submitted by Mesut Oytun OKTAY a Weekend Warrior from iStanbul,

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    good for hard trains

Weaknesses:    fails in rough trains when power needed

Bottom Line:
hell is hell. while i was accelerating in front of a car, think about chain failing.... what a *uck? *uck all Shimano chains, especially IG chains

Favorite Trail:   Streets

Similar Products Used:   searching for one

Bike Setup:   Shimano Alivio Rear Derailuer, ALivio front derailuer, Lagon front shocks. Quad front disc brake

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Strengths:    Makes you stop and rest.
Gives you pratice with your chain tool.
Teaches you never to buy another Shimano chain.

Weaknesses:    None, except that it doesn't work.

Bottom Line:
This chain sucks a hot one. I'm not kidding I was one the trail for less than half an hour brand new chain and the stupid thing broke right off! What a pain in the a$$. I take care of my bike, chain included. About 7 riders passed me by, asked if I had everything I needed, then told me to buy sram chains unless I liked sitting in the dirt getting my hands all greased up. They were right. Fixed it with my chaintool (luv my alien multitool!) by removing two links. Rode my bike home in granny gear. Waste of a good day.

Similar Products Used:   Sram powerglide

Bike Setup:   SL

Submitted by Tom Matty a Weekend Warrior from Thailand

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    smooth shifts
quiet

Weaknesses:    outer plates split constantly under even minor power

Bottom Line:
The outer plates start to split open after about 3 months use every time. And I've used this chain for 3 years now. The reason I keep going back to it is that I simply don't have any other choices here in Asia.

So never go on a ride without a chain tool and an extra pin. And once it starts to break the number of breaks just starts to go up so that the plates open up and the chain falls off your chainrings everytime you start to power up even a minor grade.

I've never worn one out, always replaced them when it got to be too much of a bother patching them all the time. And if you look at the cost of chain pins, heck it can cost you more in these pretty soon then getting a new chain.

IG 30, IG 50 do last longer. But they're not as quiet or smooth shifting. Sure wish I had some alternatives to try out.

Similar Products Used:   IG 50

Bike Setup:   Cross country rig. Titanium frame, american classic wheelset.

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from tx

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    looks like a chain

Weaknesses:    doesn't work like a chain

Bottom Line:
I break this cahin every 4 or 5 rides. I pedal like a sissy and still break it. The pins just pull out. I must quit using it due to the fact that it is only long enough to make a key chain. The problem is, if you grab the chain first to get your keys out of your pocket it will most likely break. -20 flamers

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    smooth shifting
quiet running

Weaknesses:    special pin reqd
others last longer, none perform better

Bottom Line:
It works better than the rest. If a car's timing belt lasted longer than an IG90, would you use that on your bike? Performance is the bottom line. Who cares if the thing wears out a little quicker than the rest. SRAM chains don't last THAT much longer than a Shimano and the IG90 is cheaper than the competition. Any chain is supposed to wear and the rider is supposed to replace it when it is worn to protect the chainrings and cogset from wearing out prematurely. While you are using the chain you want it to work (shift and transmit power to the wheel) as good as it possibly can. The IG90 does this better than any other 8-speed chain. People complain about the Shimano pin. Get a chain cleaner contraption and leave the chain on your bike, then the pin issue is moot. Shimano produces the pin to ensure no loss of strength when you do break the chain. The other guys say their chain is fine without a new pin. It seems to me that you break and make that POWERLINK enough times it is going to fail. I guess it really will depend on how often you break apart your chain. Long live 8-speed and the IG90.

Favorite Trail:   the dump

Similar Products Used:   SACHS/SRAM

Bike Setup:   RF chainrings, Shimano cassette and have used both SRAM 9.0 and XT derailleurs.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I started out with Sedis chains and have tried everything on the market. But I have to say that the IG-90 in concert with an all-Shimano drivetrain - 8-speed XT/XTR cassette, LX or better crankset - has proven to be the best shifting setup for me by far. I live in the dry southwest, have never had any reliability problems whatsoever. I really like this chain.

Submitted by Zerg from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    quite strong, not expensive

Bottom Line:
i use IG-90 to do trials, i never break it. But i replace a new one in every year.....

Similar Products Used:   IG-70

Bike Setup:   Megamo shock trials

Submitted by joe cool a Cross Country Rider from Parker, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    Shifts great, quiet.

Weaknesses:    Short lifespan, too expensive for something that needs frequent replacement. (don't even get me started or brake pads) Remember the old SedisSport road chain back in '85. $5.00 at the LBS and it shifted great.

Bottom Line:
Chains fear me.

I am big and strong and like to ride hard and fast. I have been using Shimano chains for over 10 years. In that time, the IG90 has been the best shifting chain that Shimano has ever made. It is also the weakest (though I haven't used the 9 speed yet). These chains just can't hold up to my 200 pound weight and my strong legs. I only get about 1000 to 1200 miles out of them (only 8 to 10 WEEKS!) before they become too stretched out and start wearing out the cassette and rings. I recently gave up on them and switched to SRAM PC 58 and 68 chains.

I have a serious problem here since the 8 speed gear is on the way out and I want to keep riding. Since my name isn't Tinker or Ned, I know that nobody is going to build me a special chain to keep me riding.

The SRAM chains do seem to last longer. They don't shift quite as well as the Shimano IG90 but the shifting is still very acceptable. The factory lube on the Shimano chains is much better than the SRAM. With a Shimano chain you don't have to lube it for the first 200 miles or so. An SRAM needs lube from day one. The SRAM powerlink connector is great. Now I can quickly and easily take my chain off and put it on, as many times as I want to clean it without weakening it.