Shimano IG-31 Chain Chain

2.71/5 (14 Reviews)

Economical replacement chain for Integrated Glide (IG) shifting systems. .

Submitted by H3LlIoN a Cross Country Rider from Anytown, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    Not many.

Weaknesses:    This chain came stock on my bike, and lasted less than a month before I snapped it and upgraded, and all I was doing was cruising around town.

Bottom Line:
Piece of junk. Maybe use it for a wallet chain when it breaks? All in all, this chain should probably only be purchased by those looking to increase their blood pressure and stress levels, or if you really need practice at roadside chain repair.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano HG-40 (What I got after the IG-31)

Bike Setup:   Stock 2004 Specialized Hardrock Comp

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Strong with mininal stretch for years.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This chain came stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet that I got on October 15,1996.(1 week after my birthday as it was my birthday present to me) during D'Ornellas Bike Shop winter sale from October - February. I put well over 10,000kms on this chain till I replaced it in 2000 as it had started to stretch. I used this bike 99% of the time for city street, sidewalk & waterfront bike path riding. The 100km+ distance I put on this chain while off-roading was either in a city park in the woods area when asphalt & cement riding had gotten to me. Also I used this bike for the last few bike races of the 1999 Chico Racing - Wednesday night racing series up at Dagmar, ON, Canada (mtb resort).
In 2000 I replaced the chain with a Shimano IG-72. This chain has a few 1,000kms on it as on July 02,2001. I returned from a 2 week holiday in West Central Florida to Earl's Cycle (closed 2003) to pick up my brand new 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.
Bottom Line: A Shimano chain that came stock on my bike and lasted for 1,000's & 1,000's of kilometers.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet

Similar Products Used:   Whatever came stock on my 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn.

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Spencer a Cross Country Rider from San luis Obispo CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2006

Strengths:    its a chain

Weaknesses:    its not a good chain

Bottom Line:
I'm sure this thing is fine for the casual rider, which is probably who this chain was made for, But do not trust it if you do any real riding. I broke this thing three times the 3rd month I had it before I decided just to give it up, That was 3 times my day was ruined because of a chain. I'm just glad I didn't get in any serious crashes because of this thing, it always broke on pavement on the way to the trail weak pos.

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   never really had to pay attention to chains before

Bike Setup:   Diamondback SL Super, Skareb platinum fork, juicy 7 brakes, xo shifters, azonic bars, and RF seatpost

Submitted by ed a Weekend Warrior from tacoma

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    strengths? What strengths?

Weaknesses:    This chain is a piece of crap!Do not waste your time or money on it. This chain broke on me the 6th time i used it.

Bottom Line:
Dont waste your time!!!

Submitted by Chris MacLean a Weekend Warrior from Quebec City, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2005

Strengths:    -Last 2 years
-cheap

Weaknesses:    If it breaks, the chain damages everything
Cannot add new sections

Bottom Line:
After a year or so be prepared to change it. I tried to add new sections to the chain, but I ended up scraping the rear cogs.
If you want to cheap out on this chain go ahead, but if you have money, don't buy this.

Favorite Trail:   Mont St-Anne

Purchased At:   Mathieu Bicycle

Bike Setup:   2004 haro x-1

Submitted by Matt from WI/IL

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2005

Strengths:    Strong! Doesn't stretch at all. Doesn't corrode as much as you would think it would. Comes with greese repelling lube on it. Pretty finish.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. The HG chains are lighter. Pearly finish wears off eventually.

Bottom Line:
Good chain nice and cheap.

Favorite Trail:   rocky singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Dura-Ace/XTR, Wipperman Nickel Plated, Campy Record Narrow

Bike Setup:   Neptune frame, Dura-Ace singlespeed drivetrain, XT/SUN pro wheels, Thompson, Kore, Manitous SX-E (LOVE IT!!~!)

Submitted by matt keating a Weekend Warrior from Coos Bay, OR

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Weaknesses:    broken twice in one month

Bottom Line:
I know this a low end bike from specialized, but i still expected more.....

Similar Products Used:   not sure

Bike Setup:   2004 Hardrock Sport

Submitted by Racer9 a Weekend Warrior from Royersford

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    Hasn't broken

Weaknesses:    On my 40 mile endurance ride it started making a creaking and I was just hoping to make it to the car. It skips like crazy when I shift up.

Bottom Line:
I saw this same chain at Wal-Mart and mine came on a $330 bike. Hasn't broken. I don't expect it to last long

Similar Products Used:   Wal-Mart chains

Bike Setup:   2004 Hardrock Sport (Stock)

Submitted by Jake Andrew a Weekend Warrior from freddy beach canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    well, i find it goes through the cog pretty well, from shimano i would expect much more... though its only a cheaper chain..i would say its worth around 10 bucks!

Weaknesses:    kinda strethchy..

Bottom Line:
I have read some of the other reviews..and i dont agree at all. they made this chain sound like something i could dig up in my backyard, i dont see whats so wrong about it. its only a cheap chain. i find it going good so far

Favorite Trail:   any northshores, jumps drops...

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   dont know?

Bike Setup:   specialized p.2

Submitted by Joe B. a Cross Country Rider from Cypress, CA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    Strength? What strength?

Weaknesses:    Skips teeth, not much on strength for heavier riders.

Bottom Line:
This chain came stock on my bike. I had only used it for a week before it broke on me. I was biking on the street, and was trying to accelerate after a stoplight. Not a very aggressive launch either. I'm not sure if my weight did it, but I don't believe I will ever buy a Shimano chain again.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC-58

Bike Setup:   DB Coil SS

Submitted by Reidling a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    It's Cheap

Weaknesses:    It's completely gone in just over a year. (this is partialy due to abuse)

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it, but I guess it's okay if it comes on your bike like mine did. I only weigh about 125lbs. I guess with the bike and gear theres about 160lbs riding on it. how could this thing break under such a light load.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Fast

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant Warp DS* Similar in one way or a nother to all the Warp DS bikes.

Submitted by Dave from Surrey

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    well it worked for about 2 years

Weaknesses:    is it too much to expect more than 2 years' service out of something as basic as a chain cos thats how long mine lasted while my friends have older chains and no probs so far...

Bottom Line:
I cant believe this is the same chain as the other guys have reviewed - mine stretched so badly it was skipping in most gears with any kind of pressure on the pedals. I looked after it well cleaning it and the cassette after every serious ride and oiling it thouroughly. NOt impressed. Shimano seem (in my experience) to be going downhill. They only seem to put any effort into the higher end stuff. Thats why ive got a Sachs one now.

average value rating cos it came in the bike
poor overall rating cos i expect a chain to last longer than 2 years of fairly infrequent use