Shimano HG 92 Chain

2.85/5 (46 Reviews)

SHIMANO HG 92

Submitted by Vlad a Cross Country Rider from Cluj Napoca, Romani

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    Real tough, I use it with a Power Link and is awesome

Weaknesses:    it's consuming real fast (about 1500km)

Bottom Line:
cross coutry rider/racer. don't know what else to say ... think you don't wanna know more about the bottom line just about the chain, well Use any shimano chain with a Sram Power link, it's awesome, and it's not breaking

cheers

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   HG: 53,73,93
CN7701 (xtr / dura ace)

Bike Setup:   Specialized, Reba, Hayes Brakes, Xtr Drivetrain

Submitted by Bill Scott a Cross Country Rider from Fort Wayne

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    It works

Weaknesses:    None worth reporting

Bottom Line:
Chains need be measured for stretch. The guy below complains because 1.5 year old chain breaks?!?!?!?!?! Buy a chain checker and replace the chain when needed and you will never have a problem. Leave a 1.5 year old chain on a MTB and your just asking for trouble

Favorite Trail:   red

Purchased At:   OEM

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR

Submitted by Borut Kuk a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good shifting

Weaknesses:    Shimano pins

Bottom Line:
DO NOT USE SHIMANO PINS FOR PUTTING IT TOGETHER!
I use on other bike for a year 73, same problem! In first 15 minutes chain breakes!
Shimano has verrrry stupid way for putting chains together so I used Sram's GOLDEN EYE for ultimate connection. Works perfectly!

Purchased At:   CS Eurotrade

Similar Products Used:   HG73, Sachs/Sram hollowpin

Bike Setup:   XT+Hone

Submitted by kevin p from nova scotia

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    It will do for a temp. chain.

Weaknesses:    This thing should go 1500 miles easy without breaking; but it doesn't (road, trail or whatnot).

Bottom Line:
This is the last Shimano chain I dare to get.

Similar Products Used:   one that didn't break (Shimano)

Bike Setup:   GT outpost 2000, yeti grips, stock drivetrain

Submitted by Mike Euzent a Racer from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    Accurate shifts on XTR drivetrains

Weaknesses:    pins cost too much money to repair chain if needed

Bottom Line:
Well I have broken some of these chains, but always as a result of something going wrong besides the chain. But I used this chain and its equivelent models since 9spd cassets first came about. On all shimano bikes the shifting is near excellent. Reliability has been excellent as well, but I must note that I am very meticulous about maintaing my bike. So my chain is almost always cleaned and lubed (which make every chain work and last longer)

Favorite Trail:   skeggs point

Purchased At:   Any place cheap

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Full XTR

Submitted by James a Downhiller from Windsor, Ont

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Well, None.

Weaknesses:    Ive broken this god forsaken chain 7 times in a month, it was fine for a year, then it just kept breaking and not always were a repaired it.. Junk.

Bottom Line:
Dont get this chain, and if your bike comes with it, replace it.

Purchased At:   TriCycles

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 890 with XT/XTR everything

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    Shimano Name

Weaknesses:    Breaks way too often.
Requires expensive replacement to pins to fix.

Bottom Line:
I received this chain (technically the HG-93) with the Shimano 9-speed upgrade kit from Performance Bike and have had nothing but trouble with it. It has broken on just about every ride, usually towards the beginning of a steep climb when I am pushing hard. I weigh 165, so I don't think I am being unreasonable in my expectation that the chain shouldn't break, especially when my old 8 speed Sachs chain broke maybe 2 or 3 times in the 3+ years I beat on it. Every time the Shimano chain broke, the link pin pulled out of the side plate and the plate bent. On the plus side, the chain has not broken where I repaired it with the Shimano pins- it is always someplace new. At $2 a pop for replacement pins it won't take me long to have spent the cost of a new chain on replacement pins, so I am going to order a Sachs or SRAM chain today and toss the Shimano in the trash. I am still a fan of Shimano components, just not their chains.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Sachs

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper hardtail with XT 9 speed drivetrain

Submitted by William Hobby from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Light, shifts well

Weaknesses:    Breaks very easily

Bottom Line:
I am not absolutely convinced to my theory. But it is in my mind plausible that Shimano has intentionally let the design of the chain weak so that when it breaks it has a calculated probablity of damaging other componentry, primarily derailers. Thus the bike rider must purchase again the derailer or such sooner than the time it would have to be replaced under normal wear.

My weight is 215 pounds, and maybe the chain is designed for a much lighter rider, possibly 130 or less.

The chain has broken repeatedly and this week it took out my front derailler.

I like most Shimano components, but will never buy another chain of theirs.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Quarry

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   stock chain

Bike Setup:   Trek 920, Bontrager Mustang Rims, Hutchinson Python Tires. XT drive train componentry, Easton carbon handlebar, Shimano 989 pedals, Selle Flite seat, Ritchey Comp stem, Rockshox seatpost, Truvanti Stylo crank

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    Shifts nicely with shimano components, not too much chain suck.

Weaknesses:    Keeps coming apart! Broken my front derailer twice, and my rear derailer once!

Bottom Line:
Well, I love just about any Shimano component. This is the first Shimano component I'm dissapointed in. I've used the HG chain on my other bike for years with no problems. So, the first day I use this chain, it comes apart! So, I order a special Shimano compatible chain tool (great, now I need a special new chain tool...) and the chain works well for about two months of hard ridin'. Then there's this horrible crunch and one of the links started to seperate and it took the front derailer into the chainrings. Well, I had a spare front derailer...then a couple of weeks latter BLAM, the rear derailer and hanger are all messed up. A broken link's pin caught the derailer cage. Another week latter CRUNCH another front derailer is toast. There's just something wrong with the pins on these chains. Took the chain off and gave it to my riding buddies for spare links. Well, their shimano chains both broke this weekend and they needed the spares. I switched to SRAM PC69 and am happy, haven't broken it yet. I will try Whipperman stainless next.

Favorite Trail:   Crack'd Helmet, Tryon

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   SRAM PC69, Shimano HG

Bike Setup:   gt i_Drive 5.0 2001, Judy 100, shimano XT/LX drivetrain.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth shifting almost silky

Weaknesses:    The crappy shimano pins that come witht the chain, i thought bugger them so i use a sachs 9 speed gold link (the one that you can take apart with your hands) it works unreal.

Bottom Line:
This has been a very good chain for me and i have not been able to notice any difference between a dura-ace chain and this one. If you use the sachs gold link like i mentioned above then taking apart the chain is no problem. The chain shifts very smoothly when just been cleaned and it has never broken me possibly due to not usinf the shimano pin links. I would recommend buying one for sure.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere forestry

Similar Products Used:   KMC, Sachs, CN 7700

Bike Setup:   Avanti competitor pro, XTR, Cross Max, XT Hydrolis disc

Submitted by John Holbrook a Cross Country Rider from Lexington

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Strengths:    Cant break it with your bare hands.

Weaknesses:    Many

Bottom Line:
I've broke this chain twice in one day. I have had it replaced 3 time and only have 60 mile on my bike.

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Bike Setup:   Stock 2003 Giant NRS 2

Submitted by Michael Morris a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Strengths:    It's a chain that fits on my bike.

Weaknesses:    I break it every 15 minutes.

Bottom Line:
I can usually get about a mile out of my chain now, which is better than the 3/4 mile I was getting before I started pushing with my left leg as well as my right.

Yesterday this guy I passed on the trail recommended that I use something called "lube" on my chain. I told him to lube himself, but then I got to thinking, mybe he was trying to help. I've looked on this review site for reviews on lube, but I can't find any. I'll keep looking.

Favorite Trail:   Hells Fury

Purchased At:   The Bike Man

Similar Products Used:   Other chains.

Bike Setup:   I call it "The Chain Breaker."

Submitted by Charles Coker a Cross Country Rider from Austin, tx USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    shifts clean
strong

Bottom Line:
this review is for the HG93 actually..
it's the ONLY 9 Speed chain I haven't broke,I have snapped and twisted PC99s and XTR/Durace 9 speed chains..

the HG93 is what's on my bike

Similar Products Used:   all Shimano and SRAM 9 speed chains

Bike Setup:   hammerhead 100x

Submitted by Dave from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts well.

Weaknesses:    breaks.

Bottom Line:
I've broken two. I'm a middle aged recreational rider who doesn't pedal very hard. I keep the chain clean and lubed, and it's installed correctly. A 2 sprocket rear shift under load, especially into the 34 t cog, can pull out the links. I'll try the SRAM next - seems to have a better reputation

Bike Setup:   Race face, XT

Submitted by Ben McGrath a Cross Country Rider from Boddington W.A Australia

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent shifting, good durabuility (although not as good as connex), smooth feel through the cranks.

Weaknesses:    The pins require patience. Bit pricey here in OZ, but then what isnt?

Bottom Line:
I cant believe what im hearing, I have never once snapped (touch wood) a shimano 9sp chain. They dont wear as well as the connex but it sure makes up for it in shifting. I install the chain pins with a park tool mini chain brute and have had no probs. To keep an eye on wear I use a Rohloff Caliber 2 and as soon as the chain looks close to worn I ditch it. Ive tried heaps of lubes and the cleanest and smoothest would have to be Finish Line or White Lightning wax.
As for the chain pins, I was 30km away from home in the bush when I smashed the rear deralier clean off the hanger. I shortened the chain, removed the deralier and got some single speed training on the way home. I would have been up for a new chain had it happened with the connex on.
So, its a thumbs up for shimano from me!

Favorite Trail:   Eagle trail