Shimano HG-90 Chain Chain

2.61/5 (64 Reviews)

Shimano HG-90 Chain

Submitted by hillcountry12 a Cross Country Rider from Southwest Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    Makes you go forward.

Weaknesses:    Cannot remove the chain easily in stock form. I ride hard and so chain stretch has been noticeable.

Bottom Line:
I have this chain on both of my bikes. I have about 1500 miles on the chain on the Tassajara and although it is now way beyond its stretch limit, it still works flawlessly. I lube/clean after every ride, and everything is fine. I purchased my bike new from a local bike shop who built the bike. My local bike shop does pro work so I agree with others that the negative press about this chain braking may have to do with people who aren't as competent as the bike shop people.

However yesterday I torqued the chain on my Trek after about 600 miles on the bike. I was at a stoplight riding to a trail and when I started a link bent sideways. It must have been between shifts (although I thought I was in gear). This is a good chain if you get the Sram Powerlink for it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   '03 GF Tassajara and custom XC Trek 8500

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    Its a chain. It shifts well, and has had no problems.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come apart easily or without tools and needs replecement pins to put back together. Not as easy as power link

Bottom Line:
There is a lot of bad press about this chain breaking, but I hate to say it might be the idiot factor. I read the instructions and installed the chain facing the correct direction and have had no problems. Also, I used the special pin supplied to join the chain instead of a regular pin already in the chain. If you can get one for cheap, I see no downsides.

Purchased At:   WWW

Similar Products Used:   Many shimano chains.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper HT. XT setup with XTR rear derailer.

Submitted by Lucas a Weekend Warrior from santa barbara, ca, us

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    worked for 3 days!

Weaknesses:    worked for 3 days.

Bottom Line:
came with a new trek 6000. snapped on me 3 days after buying the bike. no good.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   any other chain?

Bike Setup:   new trek 6000

Submitted by RacerXMan a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, OZ

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    it worked for 2 rides

Weaknesses:    Sub standards strength. Need for specific joining pin (the connex joining process is superior.

Bottom Line:
Shimano chains are sub par. It's not a lot of extra $$$ to get quality chains, and I'm not sure why you would buy shimano.

There are far better joining mechanisms than (e.g., connex) shimanos, and it's the only chain I've had catastrophically break (and destroy the rear mech). The use of a specific joining pin is not good - I like the joining link as you can get the chain off really easily for maintenance, cleaning, etc.

Also, this means that if you do need to repair the chain during a ride, you better have a joining pin - otherwise you may not be able to do a good repair (which I've been able to do multiple times with other chains).

I've used a variety of chains over the years. I will never buy a shimano chain again.

Seriously... don't risk losing a bunch of riding time, and damaging your kit with a sub par Shimano chain. It's not a whole lot more to get quality...

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls/Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Wipperman Connex 9X1

Bike Setup:   RacerX, XT Build,

Submitted by Matt from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    NONE!!!

Weaknesses:    Snaped 3 times in 4 days! way over priced for that quality!

Bottom Line:
NEVER BUY THIS CHAIN! (unles you like braking chains in the middle of a ride)

Submitted by Aaron Krueger a Cross Country Rider from belmont, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Strengths:    It looks like a chain.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work like a chain.

Bottom Line:
It sucks. I have ridden bikes all my life and never had a chain break on me, in the last two weeks i've broke it twice. Don't buy it and if it's on your bike take it off and get a real chain.

Bike Setup:   Kona Cinder Cone

Submitted by Village Idiot a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    .....I could install it

Weaknesses:    It broke 3 times on first ride

Bottom Line:
Would have worked better if I used dried dog poo. THis chain was installed correctly, and broke mutiple times on first ride. I simply kept repairing the chain until I culd get to the LBS to buy a new one (SRAM).

Poof! my troubles go away. I weigh 200+, couldnt torque the chain at all on mild (short) hills. Why buy a chain that I can't load even when im not shifting?

Favorite Trail:   Anything I can Ride

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   Airborne Ti Hardtail, Raceface Cranks, XT/XTR drive train, Speed Dream Wheels

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    Not much

Weaknesses:    Broke on the first ride

Bottom Line:
I installed this chain on a friends bike. I've always used SRAM chains and had good luck with them, but I decided to install a Shimano on his bike due to some shifting problems he was having. I felt that the slightly narrower chain might prevent some of the problems of ghost shifting that he was having with his XT cassette. Bad move. In the work stand the bike shifted flawlessly and the narrower chain did seem to stop the ghost shifting, but as soon as the guy put the power down, the chain self destructed. He didn't even make it to the first hill when the thing exploded and took his XT rear changer with it.

I've been working on bikes for a number of years and I've never seen anything like it. I've read similar comments from other riders, but always take them with a grain of salt because some people have a hatred of anything Shimano, but I have to admit that my experience will be a very short one. Back to SRAM.

Favorite Trail:   barn burner

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Submitted by Saby R a Weekend Warrior from Halifax

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    Perform that way XT product should

Weaknesses:    Can't be removed without puting a new pin

Bottom Line:
I keep this chain very clean and well lubed (Prolink) and have not had any problem what so ever. I am very pleased with it. Would I buy it again? maybe I would try SRAM since they can be removed with ease...

Similar Products Used:   No name chain...

Bike Setup:   Yes, it's set-up allright

Submitted by sninky from Manchester uk

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    None What So Ever

Weaknesses:    Snaps like a crunchy kit kat

Bottom Line:
rubbish,absolute crap
not only did it break 4 times in two rides along flat ground.
The second time it tore my front mech to peices.

this is the third shimano component to fail on my bike within 6 months DO NOT BUY

Bike Setup:   Spesh Rockhopper

Submitted by Unkie Dumo a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    NONE!!!

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING! 2 breaks in 2 weeks! It's a real POS. I wasn't even cranking hard when they broke, just a nice solid spin.

Bottom Line:
These things blow goats. Please, for the sake of the world and your poor chain tool, don't buy this poo.

Favorite Trail:   the ones that say NO BIKES ALLOWED :o)

Purchased At:   The Local

Similar Products Used:   SRAM sucks too

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V-1000, RaceFace cranks, Easton stem, Selle Italia saddle, Mammoth and 521 wheels. XT disc

Submitted by Gunnar a Cross Country Rider from a cross country rider from Estonia

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth shifting,long life

Bottom Line:
I've had my bike 3 yeas now and changed the chain every year (after like 3000 km) and I think its normal. I have never broke any chain, still, I dont think that im easy rider, so I dunno whats a problem. I even didnt understand why someone needs a chain tool at home.

Favorite Trail:   xc

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   ig-90

Bike Setup:   Trekk 6000

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Bear, DE

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Strengths:    Strong.

Weaknesses:    It rusts, even with maintenance pretty easy.

Bottom Line:
It's a chain. And you need a chain to go forward.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD

Similar Products Used:   Ch...Ch...Chains... All my life.

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race, XT setup w/Rolf Wheels

Submitted by Jason Nieman a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Strengths:    Very smooth shifting. Decent life.

Weaknesses:    The one time use replacement pins are a hassle.

Bottom Line:
I've been using Shimano chains for as long as I can remember. I too had a problem with snapping chains in the beginning, but like the earlier user said, YOU HAVE TO USE THE ONE TIME USE FIXING PINS. These chains are swaged on the pins so unlike other chains, you cannot reset a main pin after you have pulled it. Also, 8 speed and 9 speed use DIFFERENT PINS. Keep a stash of a couple and you should be fine. Unless you beat your bike to death, you can get a year or more out of one of these.

As for shifting, the other makes just aren't as smooth. They tend to skip and hop more, and misshifts are hard on the knees. So, learn how to use Shimano chains, and replace them as needed, and you'll find that they stack up against just about anything. Plus they are always available pretty cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Warsaw

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Sedis.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed with XTR.

Submitted by Jeff Tymchuk a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Strengths:    None what so ever

Weaknesses:    snaps with no effort at all

Bottom Line:
This garbage chain caused me to have to be pulled home by my wife(I was in such a hurry I left my chain tool on my workstand)and missed one of the local trails being in the best shape in three years so I only got to ride half of it. The chain just exploded under moderate force on a short steep climb. Bad Bad Bad